PDA

View Full Version : Down Bag vs Fleece Ozark Bag For Summer Trip

Gambit McCrae
06-25-2018, 00:45
Geaded to PA next week. Western Mountaineering megalight vs fleece bag?
As well how would folks feel about a day to day update thread on my trip from Palmrtson to Duncannon?

nsherry61
06-25-2018, 01:15
Fleece is cheap, bulky and heavy. Down is expensive, compact and light. Summer weight fleece is comfy and is about the same weight and volume as a three-season bag - about twice the weight and volume of an ultralight summer weight quilt.

Pick your priorities.

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 07:10
I hammocked in that area in July using only a fleece blanket as an underquilt and was cold

Different story if I slept on the dirt

Most definitely not a compact choice as outlined above

garlic08
06-25-2018, 07:20
If you already own the down bag, use it. If it's a purchase decision, then the old adage "Buy once, cry once" applies.

Gambit McCrae
06-25-2018, 08:18
Oh I've had the Western Mount down bag for 2 years, I was thinking that the fleece may be about the same weight and wouldn't have that "sticky" feel that comes with humidity and heat. Im going to take the down bag as I always do.

CalebJ
06-25-2018, 08:20
I'd decide based on the weather. I own a WM Summerlight and one of JustBill's synthetic quilts. There are definite advantages to a lightweight synthetic alternative that doesn't care about rain, humidity, sweat, etc. If the weather forecast is over 60 and there's some rain involved, I'd lean towards the synthetic/fleece option.

Slo-go'en
06-25-2018, 09:52
I bought a fleece sleeping bag a while back. Used it once. It's only a few oz heavier then my summer down bag, but not nearly as warm and quite a bit larger packed.

That said, hiking in PA in July a fleece bag would probably be warm enough, so the bulk is the only real issue. A silk liner and fleece blanket would likely do the trick for slightly less weight and bulk. Just make sure you get a real fleece blanket and not just a "throw".

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 10:03
Sounds crazy but I’ve also worn long johns instead of using a bag or blanket