PDA

View Full Version : I need to get to Baxter for SOBO

hootyhoo
06-25-2018, 11:01
Bus sucks. Plane to scary. I might rent at Alamo Knoxville Airport and drop off at Bangor International. 211 dollars, 18 hours, plus gas and tolls, Anyone want to work out a share on this?

Also I have ride from Bangor at 7 pm on the 29th to Big Moose Campground. We would split 125 for up to 4 people.
Big Moose tent sites are 13 a night.

We we would be 8 miles from Baxter gate.

Also, available is a ride from Bangor to campsite, a ride the next day to summit katahdin, return to campsite, then back into the park to hike on to Abol. Total for all the rides is 250 and 13 a night at campground.
We would split all costs.

Reservations elsewhere are getting scarce.
About 300 each for me and one other.

peakbagger
06-25-2018, 11:45
You forgot train, Amtrak runs to Boston to South Station and then you need to walk or ride the T to North Station where you can then the Northeaster to Portland (or catch a bus to Portland and on to Bangor). In Portland (or Boston) you take the bus to Medway and then talk to the AT Lodge to get a place to stay for the night and ride into the park the next day.

Good luck

Slo-go'en
06-25-2018, 12:11
You forgot train, Amtrak runs to Boston to South Station and then you need to walk or ride the T to North Station where you can then the Northeaster to Portland (or catch a bus to Portland and on to Bangor). In Portland (or Boston) you take the bus to Medway and then talk to the AT Lodge to get a place to stay for the night and ride into the park the next day. Good luck

Getting a seat on last minute train rides can be iffy and expensive. You really need to plan this a good month in advance. Although buses suck, from Knoxville that's the way I would go. Once again, doing this last minute you pay top dollar for the ride. But way the OP is planning on doing it, he's really paying top dollar.

rickb
06-25-2018, 13:20
You forgot train, Amtrak runs to Boston to South Station and then you need to walk or ride the T to North Station...
If you have the time, it is as nice a walk as you can find in Boston....

hootyhoo
06-25-2018, 15:28
Reeeeead post.
Replyyyyyyy if you want to go with me.
Not suuuuuuuure? Wait until you are.
Got advicccccccccce? Keep it.
Uuuuuuuuunderstand?

Slo-go'en
06-25-2018, 15:40
Uuuuuuuuunderstand?

Sorry, we were just throwing out other options since you said you MIGHT rent a car. You didn't say you WERE renting a car. Good luck.

egilbe
06-25-2018, 18:22
Reeeeead post.
Uuuuuuuuunderstand?

You ain't gonna make it out of the HMW

egilbe
06-25-2018, 18:23
Reeeeead post.
Uuuuuuuuunderstand?

You ain't gonna make it out of the HMW

George
06-25-2018, 18:40
Reeeeead post.
Uuuuuuuuunderstand?

rude replies on your own thread: great way to ensure negative results for finding a ride share

BTW - this is a general thread so a wider range of replies are suitable

this could have been posted in the meet up section, a straight forward reply area

and - I will be heading S from baxter a few days previous, if you do make it through HMW, and are a fast mover I may see you

hootyhoo
06-25-2018, 19:07
Not intended to be rude at all. I am subscribed and checking the thread.
Everyone assumes their advice is the answer to the post. It seldom is in a case like this.
Megabus not near me. Amtrak not near me. Flights out of McGee Tyson are very expensive.
Took Greyhound from Daleville home to do flip flop. Never want to board Greyhound again.

Egilbe,

Whether I make it out of the Hundred Mile or not is mine to worry about. But that comment was and will be viewed as nasty from now until forever.
Egilbe, now is your opportunity to apologize and redeem.

hootyhoo
06-25-2018, 19:19
To be clear. All you need to do is share the rental car, gas and tolls. I can pick you up on the way. Knoxville to Bangor is the route I will take. At Bangor you can take the Cyr bus or whatever you choose. So cheapest would be about 150 dollars on your part. If we split the driving and make it in less than a day the car would only be 105 or so. Plus gas and tolls. Which would be even less than 150. I think you would have to be 25 years old to drive the car. They did ask if all drivers were over 25 when I called about price. I need to leave this week.

Quik
06-25-2018, 19:44
Hootyhoe- what are your dates? You mention the 29th, what month?

"Plane to scary" Plane TOO scary or is there a location called scary?

hootyhoo
06-26-2018, 07:41
PM me. I am packed and ready to go. THIS WEEK. It does not have to the 29th. There is a shuttle driver that is dropping off a NOBO at Bangor International on the 29th at 7pm is why I mentioned that date. But Cyr is fine with me. I just need to get to Medway as cheap as possible, without suffering from public transportation or having to hitch into Atlanta.

Quik
06-26-2018, 08:39
PM me. I am packed and ready to go. THIS WEEK. It does not have to the 29th. There is a shuttle driver that is dropping off a NOBO at Bangor International on the 29th at 7pm is why I mentioned that date. But Cyr is fine with me. I just need to get to Medway as cheap as possible, without suffering from public transportation or having to hitch into Atlanta.

no PM necessary make it public for others to learn from

I leave on July 1 direct flight to Portland, free same day shuttle (friend) to Baxter. good planning total cost <$100

hootyhoo
06-26-2018, 11:01
no PM necessary make it public for others to learn from

I leave on July 1 direct flight to Portland, free same day shuttle (friend) to Baxter. good planning total cost <$100

Great learning moment. The info gleaned from your post will surely ease the way for future planners.

hootyhoo
06-26-2018, 11:07
Folks read my original post and think about why I posted it.
Then read the replies and see if there was anything, at all, that was helpful.
See what I’m saying?
Useless as usual. Go out and hike. 5000 posts per year is not an accomplishment. Bash this if you want, or grow up and get something done. I’m off this useless board.

hootyhoo
06-26-2018, 11:13
Are you gonna chip in for gas?
You must be using your moms Airline miles.
Under 100 from Ga to Baxter? Really?

Quik
06-26-2018, 11:18
Folks read my original post and think about why I posted it.
Then read the replies and see if there was anything, at all, that was helpful.
See what I’m saying?
Useless as usual. Go out and hike. 5000 posts per year is not an accomplishment. Bash this if you want, or grow up and get something done. I’m off this useless board.

I was asking about your dates because you didn't post it in your first message. If you want someone to join you dates are important. Have a good hike.

rickb
06-26-2018, 12:20

Since you asked the question, I feel like it might be Ok to answer:

I think he may be lying!!!!

The best AVAILABLE price I saw was $113. Now while it is true that I spent all of 3 minutes to get that fare and limited my time frame to the next 30 day am smarter than most. I would be astounded if he were able to beat me by $13 bucks!!!

Quik
06-26-2018, 12:29

why is it you come across so angry?

I will be covering my friends gas expenses and meals, that's the <$100
I have my own points.

Quik
06-26-2018, 12:29
[QUOTE=rickb;2213282]Since you asked the question, I feel like it might be Ok to answer:

I think he may be lying!!!!

The best AVAILABLE price I saw was $113. Now while it is true that I spent all of 3 minutes to get that fare and limited my time frame to the next 30 day am smarter than most. I would be astounded if he were able to beat me by $13 bucks!!!

WOW!

rickb
06-26-2018, 13:08
[QUOTE=rickb;2213282]
WOW!
Full disclosure: I leaned of that most useful website https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#calendar:research=TTNATL right here on Whiteblaze.

In an off-topic thread drift!

I cannot remember who brought it to my attention, but he know who he is. Thanks.

One other irony of thread drifts like this is that they bump up the original post, so they have the potential of exposing the thread to more folks who might enjoy the company of the OP.

Quik
06-26-2018, 13:17
[QUOTE=Quik;2213286]
Full disclosure: I leaned of that most useful website https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#calendar:research=TTNATL right here on Whiteblaze.

In an off-topic thread drift!

I cannot remember who brought it to my attention, but he know who he is. Thanks.

One other irony of thread drifts like this is that they bump up the original post, so they have the potential of exposing the thread to more folks who might enjoy the company of the OP.

it wasn't WOW at your $113 ticket price, it was WOW that you implied I might be lying.

egilbe
06-26-2018, 14:41
[QUOTE=rickb;2213294]

it wasn't WOW at your $113 ticket price, it was WOW that you implied I might be lying.

I think he was being facetious on the lying part. Exaggerating for effect.

George
06-26-2018, 14:53
I’m off this useless board.

you will be missed............ ok, everyone is over it

George
06-26-2018, 15:08
[QUOTE=rickb;2213294]

from the nuance - an omission rather than a lie is suggested - if you are using airline points/ miles some past payment is involved - a ride from a friend involves some value of goodwill

stating: "I am getting from Atlanta to Baxter for 100$" is less than honest if it involves undisclosed/ not publicly available means

Quik
06-26-2018, 15:34
[QUOTE=Quik;2213296]

from the nuance - an omission rather than a lie is suggested - if you are using airline points/ miles some past payment is involved - a ride from a friend involves some value of goodwill

stating: "I am getting from Atlanta to Baxter for 100$" is less than honest if it involves undisclosed/ not publicly available means

George no where did I state I was leaving from ATL, that's an assumption on your part. Unless I choose to say how I get there and any costs it simply isn't anyones business, nothing dishonest about it.

This topic has run its of course route as usual and it bores me, I'm going to the pool.

George
06-26-2018, 15:43
maybe you can see the OP there

CalebJ
06-26-2018, 15:49
George no where did I state I was leaving from ATL, that's an assumption on your part. Unless I choose to say how I get there and any costs it simply isn't anyones business, nothing dishonest about it.

This topic has run its of course route as usual and it bores me, I'm going to the pool.
Step back from the keyboard and breathe. Rick did nothing but confirm your comment of flying to Maine for $100 (and made a joke about lying because his numbers were $13 higher than yours). He wasn't calling you out at all. Again, breathe. Go for a walk. Enjoy nature.

T.S.Kobzol
06-26-2018, 18:22
Wow. snl should make a sketch about aholes hiking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ aka Teej
06-26-2018, 19:11
I was going to offer to help, but then I read past the first post.

OldWolfe
07-29-2018, 16:18
LMFAO!:banana