PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Shenanigans

Greenlight
06-25-2018, 20:04
I just came off the trail after completing the northern half of Shenandoah. The second half of the bubble is about out now, is what Scott at Mountain Home Cabbin said. We parked there for three bucks a day and got a complimentary shower when I got back. I went out with a group from the Midwest who had driven through the night, parked their cars, got our shuttle ride down to Booten's Gap and hiked seven miles into Big Meadows and cooked our dinners in and around the laundry room as it rained nearly non-stop. We had the best conversations along the way, so I'd like to submit a couple of entries into the AT lexicon, if they aren't already there.

Dirty bulking: The common practice of getting off the trail and consuming as much food as possible, whether it's healthy or not. Usage: "When we get to Pearisburg, I'm going to dirty bulk that Mexican restaurant until I've got guacamole oozing out of my toes."

Trail PTO: Getting enough miles ahead of where you planned to so that you can take a longer zero. Usage: "I'm 50 miles ahead of where I'd planned to be, so I think I'm going to take three days of trail PTO."

Observation from a late night conversation at Big Meadows on Hike Naked Day. Sidewinder thongs may or may not be appropriate trail attire. Depends on the wearer?

Y'all have a great evening!

JPritch
06-25-2018, 20:42
Sounds like a great time!

Odd Man Out
06-25-2018, 22:07
I was in SNP for HND a couple of years ago. The night before there were a lot of people talking about participating. The next day I encountered exactly zero naked hikers. As for me, I was doing a 40 mile section, which is about 2% of the trail so I was 2% naked.

TNhiker
06-26-2018, 00:38
I'm going to dirty bulk that Mexican restaurant until I've got guacamole oozing out of my toes."

i would tent to think it wouldnt be just the toes this is oozing out after "dirty bulking" mexican food.......