PDA

View Full Version : A Hiker's Guide to Trail Etiquette

John B
06-26-2018, 05:36
https://lifehacker.com/the-hikers-guide-to-trail-etiquette-1827102953

Rain Man
06-26-2018, 09:14
Of all those, one that I like a lot (being a former caver) but most violated is "slowest hiker leads the way, NOT the fastest hiker."

If you're not going to hike as part of the group (assuming it's a group hike), then don't go with the group!!! If you're separated "geographically," why not just hike some other trail also some geographic distance away from the others/slowest?!

The slowest hiker can't speed up, but the fastest hiker can EASILY slow down.

Again, I'm speaking of group hikes where the planning, organization, etc., has been for a group hike. No problems with "Hike Your Own Hike" speed ... IF you are hiking your own hike.

Ashepabst
06-26-2018, 11:01
it bugs me when folks don't walk single file, or are jerks about letting folks pass. it's really just a crowded tourist trail kind of scenario, but heading up Alum Cave there's always that one sensitive guy that has to take offense to being passed, like it's a affront to his manhood or something. I'm not a terribly fast hiker --usually I'm just trying to put some space between myself and other groups so I don't have to listen to random conversations. big groups of hikers annoy me for similar reasons.

Puddlefish
06-26-2018, 11:51
Of all those, one that I like a lot (being a former caver) but most violated is "slowest hiker leads the way, NOT the fastest hiker."

If you're not going to hike as part of the group (assuming it's a group hike), then don't go with the group!!! If you're separated "geographically," why not just hike some other trail also some geographic distance away from the others/slowest?!

The slowest hiker can't speed up, but the fastest hiker can EASILY slow down.

Again, I'm speaking of group hikes where the planning, organization, etc., has been for a group hike. No problems with "Hike Your Own Hike" speed ... IF you are hiking your own hike.

The Meetup groups I've joined typically specify their anticipated speed, and might even ask you to correspond with the group leader in advance about your hiking experience, abilities and pace before they'll let you join. I imagine it's frustrating to have someone join a group on moderate or hard difficulty trail, who can't even begin to keep up or finish the hike.

The over 50 groups, that I've participated in, all specify that they move at the pace of the slowest hiker, and they do.

TNhiker
06-26-2018, 12:50

this is kinda what my scout group would do.

we had a 'fast' group that went ahead, but for the main group, let the slowest person lead the way.

that way, they didnt feel left out, or if they came to a rest point and they were last in, they didnt feel obligated to get back hiking right when rest of group was leaving (assuming they had been sitting there resting, waiting for the other to arrive)

that way, the slowest person got the same amount of rest during a break and then not to get left behind and/or lost.

we also would keep one adult behind to "sweep" and make sure everyone was in front of him...

Quik
06-26-2018, 13:12
I don't mind slower hikers or groups, they almost always step aside when I announce myself and say excuse me I would like to pass. The people who annoy me are the ones using their phone for calls/text/apps or whatever and stand in the middle of the trail. I just completed the section from Harpers Ferry to Springer, unbelievable how many people would stop and stand there and would move, and I've been told it's worse in the northeast with weekend hikers. I'll find out soon enough, I'm heading up to ME to hike down to HF.

DownYonder
06-26-2018, 13:29
Guess I'm in the minority. I have never understood the concept of everyone else going my pace; especially if I'm the slowest. That would be arrogant of me. If you want to go ahead at a faster pace, I have absolutely no issue with that.....as long as you save some liquid libation for me at the end!!

rocketsocks
06-26-2018, 14:38
Trail etiquette sounds like sumthin’ to eat.

Another Kevin
06-26-2018, 16:07
Depends on the group. If I have people that I don't trust to go solo, then it's 'slowest hiker leads'. If it's a bunch of experienced people who'd be happy doing the trip on their own, it's often 'don't go past XXX, we'll meet up there.'

I virtually always walk sweep on trips that I lead - which means, in turn that it's the slowest hiker bringing up the rear. :D

I used to hate club hikes, because of the 'slowest hiker never gets to rest' phenomenon. Since then, I've been on a few club hikes that were better run, but I still approach them with unease. Maybe I've just not found the right group. I'm a lot more ambitious than any of the seniors' hiking groups that I've tried, but a lot slower than most of the Meetup groups I've encountered.

RockDoc
06-26-2018, 17:07
One reason to hang with them is that slowest hikers have the most fun. They see more, they talk more, they sit and eat more. They enjoy life, which is a journey not a destination.

The main thing you see with all the fastest hikers is grimaces.

From one who has tried it both ways...

Pringles
06-26-2018, 20:21
I like RockDoc's attitude. I am pokey. I enjoy looking at all the flowers and the trees and the animals. I like to take that 10 step side trail to what might, maybe, be a glorious view. "Oh look, a log to sit on!" I enjoy starting early, and don't mind when everybody passes me and I wander in last. I enjoy having some company at the end of the day. I hate when I'm told I have to go first because I'm slowest, and then a couple of people push me up and down the hills. I do want to hike my own hike. I HAVE to hike my own hike. But I like to hear your stories about what you saw during your hike and see how you do things and how your equipment works. I'm not anti group, but I am pro me.

Mugthumper
06-26-2018, 23:20
My biggest issue is one that was barely mentioned.

Keep your dogs on a leash if it is required. If leashes are not required make sure they are 100% trained on how to handle themselves on trail. I don't care how 'friendly' your dog is, when I am walking with my children I shouldn't have to react to you unleashed dog running ahead of you to come and greet my kids. It happens way too often. After carrying my daughter around in a backpack for hours, she finally gets her chance to walk a couple miles on some easier terrain, the last thing I want to have to do is snatch her up off the ground because your large 'friendly' dog is running ahead of you to greet us. I don't care that you yell ahead "Don't worry, he's friendly." That means absolutely nothing to me. I also don't want your dog attempting to lick my kids hands or faces, it is not welcome. I don't know where your dog's mouth has been while in the woods. My children are young but know better than to walk towards or attempt to pet your animal. If you are taking a dog on a well traveled trail, you should absolutely know better than to let them rush at unsuspecting hikers.

I'm sure I sound like some jerk who hates dogs, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. We have a large dog in our family. He is very friendly and always on a leash when we head to the park, no exceptions.

My other peeve is when a hiker in front of you won't let you pass. I hike relatively fast, and its fairly easy to come up on someone quickly without them knowing that you are there. I usually try to make a little noise as not to startle them. Most usually turn around say hello and allow me to pass, or even have a quick chat. The ones that drive me insane are when they realize that you are coming up behind them but they won't acknowledging that you are there and instead increase their pace but only enough that you are constantly hiking a short distance behind them. Then you get a front row seat of watching them struggle as they attempt to keep a pace that is obviously uncomfortable because they know you are right behind but are too stubborn to just stop and let you pass. I've had some keep this up for as far as a mile or more. Then when they can't do it anymore and have to stop they seem to take it personal when you say hello as you pass on by. C'mon man, we are each out here doing our own thing. It's not a competition and there is no winner or losers when walking in the woods. I wish some would realize that.

There are other things that annoy me, but things like LNT should go without saying.

Lnj
06-27-2018, 15:22
I like RockDoc's attitude. I am pokey. I enjoy looking at all the flowers and the trees and the animals. I like to take that 10 step side trail to what might, maybe, be a glorious view. "Oh look, a log to sit on!" I enjoy starting early, and don't mind when everybody passes me and I wander in last. I enjoy having some company at the end of the day. I hate when I'm told I have to go first because I'm slowest, and then a couple of people push me up and down the hills. I do want to hike my own hike. I HAVE to hike my own hike. But I like to hear your stories about what you saw during your hike and see how you do things and how your equipment works. I'm not anti group, but I am pro me.

ME too!!!! All that. Exactly.

colorado_rob
06-27-2018, 15:34
Yet another thread where the slower hikers claim superiority over the faster hikers. Claiming they "see more", "enjoy the trail more", nonsense like that. I'm now a fairly slow hiker. Used to be much faster. No increase or decrease in enjoyment whatsoever. Chances are if you're a slow hiker, you're either old (like me), way overweight or just plain out of shape, and you want to self-affirm your slow-hiking enjoyment 'cause you just can't hike any other speed. Which is fine.

Anyway, nice little article, covers the basics pretty well. That being said, over the tens of thousands of miles I've hiked, I rarely have come across rude hikers. Hikers are a nice friendly community of good people.

Shady Bill
08-27-2018, 19:22
I tend to hike slow but usually see more that a fast hiker and we usually both end up at the same spot at the end of the day

Malto
08-27-2018, 19:47
All this fast hiker, slow hiker talk is rubbish. This is why I primary like to hike solo. I only have to argue with myself on pace.

fiddlehead
08-27-2018, 21:11
I just did a hike in Taiwan with a group of 5 (Taiwanese) whom were friends of a good freind and it was great.
We got along great and they all spoke good English and would point out things to me often.
They seemed to have an unwritten rule (They never mentioned anything about this to me, but it always eventually worked out this way), where the fastest guy was in the very back, and the 2nd fastest guy was in the lead.
One of the girls was the slowest and she was mostly always 2nd to last.
I drifted around between all of them in the 4 days we hiked together and saw this time after time.
Don't know if they talked about it or not at one time, but it worked out great.
We (as a group ) were slow and ALWAYS let others immediately pass us.
Very friendly people and good hikers.
The trail was quite dangerous with very steep mountains and ropes needed about 20 different times in the 4 days.
They all watched out for each other .

Leo L.
08-28-2018, 03:56
...the fastest guy was in the very back, and the 2nd fastest guy was in the lead...
Perfect ways to deal in a group.
We got teached this way back when we were very young, maybe as kids by our parents, or in the Boy Scouts, and kept this way through all group activities, like backcountry skiing and motorcylcle riding, with great success.

JPritch
08-28-2018, 12:11
Yet another thread where the slower hikers claim superiority over the faster hikers. Claiming they "see more", "enjoy the trail more", nonsense like that. I'm now a fairly slow hiker. Used to be much faster. No increase or decrease in enjoyment whatsoever. Chances are if you're a slow hiker, you're either old (like me), way overweight or just plain out of shape, and you want to self-affirm your slow-hiking enjoyment 'cause you just can't hike any other speed. Which is fine.

Anyway, nice little article, covers the basics pretty well. That being said, over the tens of thousands of miles I've hiked, I rarely have come across rude hikers. Hikers are a nice friendly community of good people.
BOOM! Absolutely.