PDA

View Full Version : Ditch which gear?

vickietyer
06-26-2018, 15:27
I think I have heard to ditch the brain, is that right? Just leave my bad pulled shut with the string?
Bag rain cover - not needed? Just use the trash compactor bag?
Compass? follow the blaze? Use my compass on my phone?
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my year

Another Kevin
06-26-2018, 16:16
My current pack didn't come with a brain, so it has a rolltop cover. But I never ditched the brain on my old one.

I bring my pack cover.

You'll pry my compass from my cold dead fingers. Then again, about a third of my hikes involve at least some off-trail travel. I also bring a paper map, a pressure altimeter (on my wristwatch, which I also consider essential navigation gear), and a notebook and pencil. My phone GPS is a useful cross check but is NOT primary navigation.

Best advice: Take a few trips. What gear didn't you use? For what gear could you make do with something lighter, or make something else do double duty? Don't try to "get it right" based on someone else's hiking style. I have an eccentric hiking style that has me carrying heavier than some. 1azarus or Malto would say that I'm carrying crazy heavy, but I don't try to make the miles they do, and I don't think I'd ever figure out 1azarus's quirky system, which works splendidly for him.

George
06-26-2018, 16:29
how about this:

if you did not have it and you lived, you did not need it

BuckeyeBill
06-26-2018, 16:40
how about this:

This sounds like saying if you did not have insurance and lived, you did not need it

DownYonder
06-26-2018, 16:43
A list of what you were planning to take would help.

CalebJ
06-26-2018, 16:49
how about this:

Perhaps 'if you did not have it and regretted it'? Or, if 'x' happened and you'd die without it?

Time Zone
06-26-2018, 17:01
I think I have heard to ditch the brain, is that right? Just leave my bad pulled shut with the string?
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my year

What is your goal? As light as possible?
just a few observations:

phone batteries run down. analog compasses don't. Follow the blaze works mostly for the AT until you go off trail. As everyone here knows, there are places where, once you go off trail to find some privacy to do #1 or #2, every direction looks the same. Judicious use of a compass can help you get back on the trail after that kind of a break/detour.

rain cover - Yes, you can probably do without one if you've already got your "must stay dry" stuff kept dry in a compactor bag. However, as others have noted, a wet backpack is heavier than a dry one - sometimes considerably so. So although a rain cover doesn't 100% save the bag from getting wet (due to wicking action via the exposed straps), it may reduce how wet your bag gets - perhaps considerably. So it may still have some value. However, if your rain gear happens to be a poncho - or better yet, a poncho tarp - then the rain cover is fully redundant. (technically the compactor bag would be too, except for the risk of getting your "must stay dry" stuff wet by immersion, say in a creek crossing). Also, if you plan to have bulky stuff like a CCF pad strapped to the outside of your pack, a rain cover isn't going to fit anyway.

Anyway, we need more information to make a recommendation. How many miles do you hope to cover each day? Basically, the more ambitious you are, w/r/t daily miles, the more of a payoff you'll get by going light. What's your risk tolerance?

Ditching the brain/lid: this falls under the general advice of "buy your backpack last". Ditching the brain of your backpack only makes sense if you don't need it for storage, or don't want it for convenience.

Provide more details, you'll get more specific advice. :)

Captain Panda
06-26-2018, 17:09
It seems that the most common source of unnecessary extra packweight is too much clothing, and too much food and water. Avoid worrying about redundancy in your gear. One set of hiking clothes, a base layer if you are starting in the March-April window, a puffy jacket, Rain gear (jacket and pants), and an extra pair of socks/liners. That's it !! Rarely do you need to carry more than 3 days worth of food at anytime. There are a few exceptions on the AT when more food is called for; but too many hikers begin their hike with WAY too much food. Usually in the spring water is plentiful so no need to carry alot. Once you begin your hike, if there is something besides a first aid kit in your pack that you haven't used in a week; send it home or find it a home in a hiker box.

Venchka
06-26-2018, 17:53
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my year
That thinking is useless without knowing what you would still be carrying. The items that you mention might not total 1 pound. Insignificant if you’re still carrying a heavy tent and sleeping bag and multiple changes of clothes in a heavy pack.
More information needed.
Wayne

lonehiker
06-26-2018, 18:07
I have been carrying a compass for 35+ years. They do sell little tiny ones that just weigh a few grams for those times that you just have to know which direction north is.

Kittyslayer
06-26-2018, 19:27
rain cover - Yes, you can probably do without one if you've already got your "must stay dry" stuff kept dry in a compactor bag. However, as others have noted, a wet backpack is heavier than a dry one - sometimes considerably so.

Does applying something like Scotchguard shed enough water to avoid a heavier wet backpack?

DownYonder
06-26-2018, 19:47
Does applying something like Scotchguard shed enough water to avoid a heavier wet backpack?

Coming from a boating background, we tried several different waterproofing product on our bimini and none of them worked 100% in a drenching rain. However, this one did do the best job of those we (and other cruisers) tried.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/starbrite-fabric-waterproofing-with-ptef/

I will be interested to see what others say.

Burrhead
06-26-2018, 21:06
Coming from a boating background, we tried several different waterproofing product on our bimini and none of them worked 100% in a drenching rain. However, this one did do the best job of those we (and other cruisers) tried.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/starbrite-fabric-waterproofing-with-ptef/

I will be interested to see what others say.

I used the brush on version of that to redo the rainfly on my Eureka alpinelite 2xt. Working great so far. I have an old Gregory that I may try that on and see what happens.

NJdreamer
06-26-2018, 22:20
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my yearRe pack cover, I use a compactor bag inside my pack always and bring the rain cover if rain is expected and for long trips.

My pack had a removable brain. I don't use it for 2 to 3 day trips, and for use it for longer ones.

Happy trails.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dogwood
06-27-2018, 00:53
You'll hear lots of things.

Granger XT Proofer or Nikwax TX Direct Spray on my Dyneema X or ULA 210 Robic packs makes them much more water resistant(WR)...shedding much more water. https://www.rei.com/product/794729/grangers-xt-proofer-waterproof-spray

When anticipating persistent rain or mixed weather on a longer hike, and because I like storing stuff outside my pack in the pack pockets without everything needing to be in Ziplocs or plastic bags, I may use a bag liner, a few WP or WR stuff sacks, AND a pack cover while also spraying my pack to make it WR.

BuckeyeBill
06-27-2018, 05:59
You can combine your pack cover and your rain jacket by using a Packa Rain Jacket. This will be on your pack and you don't have to take your pack off to get into your rain jacket. It also covers your pack straps and has large pocket for things you need to keep dry.

pettas
06-27-2018, 12:38
I'd second the use of a Packa rain jacket. I like the pit zips and by not having my rain jacket under my pack straps, I tend to stay cooler during the hot weather as well. The only drawback is that without your pack, you have a large area of jacket billowing out away from your back when you wear it. If you're careful it shouldn't catch on anything but you do need to pay attention to your surroundings.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Ashepabst
06-27-2018, 12:39
a trash bag will work as a pack cover, but it won't last long before getting snags. for a thru hike, I'd suck it up and bring a real pack cover.... with a bag liner, though --always, always a liner for your sleep system and clothes. that's way more important than the cover.

and don't be the guy/girl without a compass --not cool. the weight's pretty negligible.

Jayne
06-27-2018, 14:24

Buying a backpack made from cuben fiber/dyneema instead of Nylon is the only reliable the way to do that IMPE. It costs more but it saves a lot of weight and is much more weather resistant.

Hikingjim
06-27-2018, 14:54
I don't think you gave enough info to get proper answers. Some packs don't need a rain cover... a liner or trash compactor bag will work just fine. And other packs will need a cover to keep them from absorbing a ton of water
If your bag eats rain and gets heavier and dries slowly... then you should cover it

When you get close to finalizing your gear, post a full list and people will give you good feedback.

Five Tango
06-27-2018, 17:06
I don't go in the woods even for a local day hike without a fire starter and a compass.Do not rely on the el cheapo keychain compass as I had one fail on me.A real compass can be had for under $10 and they dont weigh much.A real map is good idea as well.

One Half
06-27-2018, 19:01
depends on which trail and where you are hiking. The AT in many places is easy to follow without a compass/GPS/maps and you get good cell reception and could get by with just an app like Guthook if that's your comfort level. Personally I would never hike the Whites without a trail map and compass and I've been there a lot. I love maps and generally don't hike without one regardless but it's something I would "consider" ditching on the southern portion of the AT. I also love my guidebooks. But I can do without them in places. In other places they are essential. If I were hiking more back country though you can bet I would have at minimum a compass, map and guidebook if available. I would also have a much "beefier" first aid kit if I was hiking more remote places than the majority of the AT.

SO as others have said, not enough info to give you a good answer.

Slo-go'en
06-27-2018, 23:03
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my year
That's a real open ended question. There's a lot of thing you don't need, but might want any way.

Personally, I like packs with a "brain". I find it much more convenient to get to often needed things during the day from the top pocket. I put a lot of odds and ends in the brain which would have to be in stuff sacks in a roll top.

A compass on the AT is pretty much useless since your rarely actually going north. Get the Guthook app and know exactly where your are.

A rain cover can be handy. Not only does it provide an extra layer of protection (use the compactor bag regardless), it gives you something to unload your pack onto if the ground is wet.

randall_mcduberson
06-28-2018, 06:44
That's a real open ended question. There's a lot of thing you don't need, but might want any way.

Personally, I like packs with a "brain". I find it much more convenient to get to often needed things during the day from the top pocket. I put a lot of odds and ends in the brain which would have to be in stuff sacks in a roll top.

A compass on the AT is pretty much useless since your rarely actually going north. Get the Guthook app and know exactly where your are.

A rain cover can be handy. Not only does it provide an extra layer of protection (use the compactor bag regardless), it gives you something to unload your pack onto if the ground is wet.

Personal opinion, take it for what it is:
I don't trust electronics as an end all be all. Batteries die and phones stop working or get dropped in water or get crushed when I slip down a rock. A compass on the AT wouldn't just be for finding north. Knowing how to use it, in conjunction with a map, can get you to a road, back to the trail, to a mountain top, fire tower, etc if you get lost or sidetracked. Even in the military where we have computers in our trucks and handheld GPS and multiple redundant systems, we still carry maps and compasses. **** breaks. Often. And always when you need it most.

cmoulder
06-28-2018, 07:27
What else can I ditch?
Thanks
Vickie 2020's my year
Without a complete gear list this a futile exercise. Use geargrams or lighterpack. Or something.

vickietyer
06-28-2018, 13:10
Thanks so much for all the tips. I'm going next week for 100 miles section hike on the AT in Shenandoah. I've got base weight down to 12-13 pounds with a tent, pad, quilt, camp cloths & shoes, puffy, rain jacket, Be Free filter, two Gatorade bottles and two one quart size ditty bags of stuff. I've got a bad foot so I'm lookin to go light, so I took out a backup charger for my phone and I'm wondering about the brain I have never used. And I have never used a compass, I have a tiny one I could trade it out with. And its summer so can I take something lighter than my quilt, I'm from Texas and I don't like sleeping cold. Thanks again!

CalebJ
06-28-2018, 14:37
IMO, if you're hiking in Shenandoah this time of year you won't need a puffy jacket. Maybe a t-shirt, base layer, and a lightweight shell. Everybody's different, but it won't be particularly cold. I checked Harrisonburg's forecast and the lowest low in the next couple of weeks is 63*. High's are mid 80's to low 90's.

Elaikases
06-28-2018, 20:57
To quote from an article ( https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/top-backpacks-results-2017-hiker-survey/ )

Overkill Items

Other than winter layers, bug nets, and other seasonal gear, the items hikers most commonly discarded were:

Parts or all of their First Aid kits
Bear proof sacks or cans (these are necessary in other regions of the U.S., but not the AT)
Bear spray or pepper spray
Secondary electronic devices (e.g. tablets, Kindles)
Cameras
Towels
Solar chargers (useless in the “green tunnel”)
Surplus tent stakes
Microspikes (not needed unless you’re hiking very late or early in the season)
“My dignity” (you better expect you’ll become hiker trash)

Most of these items, such as bear canisters and bear spray, are commonly used (or required) in other regions of the U.S., but they are unnecessary on the Appalachian Trail. Bear spray is primarily designed for use with bear species like grizzlies, which we don’t have on the east coast. Before hiking the AT, you should educated yourself on behavior around black bears, and if you do that, you won’t need bear spray.
As woman who was traveling alone, I did bring pepper spray on my 2014 thru-hike, but that was a precaution against creepy men, not wildlife. I never had to use it but I did feel safer hiking alone at night, and it hardly weighs anything.
The following items are so unnecessary that hardly anyone brings them in the first place. If, for some reason, you’re thinking of bringing these, just don’t:

Secondary light source (just bring 1 light source and spare batteries)
Additional sleeping pads or bags
Ground mat for under a hammock
Machete
Saw
Mirror
Pocket shower
Satellite phone

https://photos.thetrek.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/ShakedownShakeup2017.png (https://photos.thetrek.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/ShakedownShakeup2017.png)
Recommended

Dogwood
06-28-2018, 23:58
Next week in S NP for 100 miles...don't take the puffy. Better off with a light wt possibly synthetic vest. You'll get more use out of it. Supplement food(less food wt~!) at the S NP Waysides and Skyline Resort. If you have want a "zero day" and like caves check out Luray Caverns or do a S NP separate from the AT loop or out and back of White Oak Canyon(WOC) or descend WOC and come back to the AT via Cedar Run Tr to Hawskbill Gap. Lots of waterfalls on the hike. DESCENDING WOC is the less strenuous option and coming back up Cedar Run Tr. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/WhiteoakCanyon_RoadTrail.pdf

Dogwood
06-29-2018, 00:05
This is a better - more scenic - more diverse loop than the AT between Hawksbill Gap and Skylands. If it's heavily raining all the better. The many falls will be roaring. IMHO, it's a damn shame the majority of ATers and most on this site WB when hiking S NP never get off the damn AT OR even worse AT thru hikers skip all of S NP because they ignorantly assume S NP is boring or all flat having the narrow gotta go gotta get er dun mindset ...time to race through S NP.

GaryM
06-30-2018, 18:14
A smart phone replaces a compass, maps, camera, books etc. Other stuff, well if you have carried it a few times but never used it you might want to consider dropping it, seriously, does everyone in a group need a compass and a lighter or will just one passed around work.

Venchka
06-30-2018, 18:27
Have a great trip Vickie!
ps: The Weminuche Wilderness Area & San Juan Mountains of Colorado are a lot closer to you.
Have fun!
Wayne

Venchka
06-30-2018, 18:35
Forgot a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weminuche_Wilderness
Wayne

Ethesis
06-30-2018, 20:02
Thanks so much for all the tips. I'm going next week for 100 miles section hike on the AT in Shenandoah. I've got base weight down to 12-13 pounds with a tent, pad, quilt, camp cloths & shoes, puffy, rain jacket, Be Free filter, two Gatorade bottles and two one quart size ditty bags of stuff. I've got a bad foot so I'm lookin to go light, so I took out a backup charger for my phone and I'm wondering about the brain I have never used. And I have never used a compass, I have a tiny one I could trade it out with. And its summer so can I take something lighter than my quilt, I'm from Texas and I don't like sleeping cold. Thanks again!

Another Texan. :).

The guy guy is right who says this time of year you won’t need the puffy.

Depending on which part of Shenandoah you can plan a few hotel/hostel stops as well.

Wish you luck.

bigcranky
07-01-2018, 08:49
Don't be too quick to dismiss the puffy jacket, especially if you take a much lighter sleeping bag or quilt. My wife carries her Montbell UL Down Inner on every hike, and uses it often even in the summer. It can supplement a lighter bag, and she hates being cold. (Now, if it's a 3-pound high altitude mountaineering down parka, then, yeah, you won't need that in Shenandoah in July.) That said, a light fleece vest or pullover should be plenty.

Re: your other items: I always took off the "brain", but I always carry a rain cover, keeps water from running in that hole in the top left by the drawstring. (Now my pack has a roll top that is much more water resistant.) I have a mini compass that fits on my watch band - I would not hike without a compass. While it's true that the trail rarely goes "north" it's also true that it's easy to get turned around when off the trail for a bit. Plenty of people either have a hard time finding it again, or go back to the trail and start walking in the wrong direction. A compass will help with this if one is paying even minimal attention.

You already ditched the phone battery - so just keep the phone on airplane mode and it will easily last a week with light use (camera, occasional databook use.)

We did Shenandoah in July in 2005, and it was *hot*. Never got below 70 or 75 at night. The good news is that there are places to get water (and rest rooms) along the hike at waysides, picnic areas, and campgrounds. Don't pass up getting water at every one of these -- there's often not a lot of water on the trail, usually just the spring at the shelters (huts.) The bad news is that there are long stretches of the AT in the Shennies in the southern section that don't have water and there aren't as many developed places to stop. So just be aware of that when you're there. The next good news is that you'll walk through or past several camp stores and waysides where you can get a meal at the restaurant, or a cold beverage in the store. I can highly recommend breakfast at Big Meadows Wayside, or really any of them. Burgers at Elk Wallow were darn good, too.

The conventional wisdom on Whiteblaze is that the Shennies are "easy." Disbelieve this. They are only easy in comparison to the stretch of Central VA that precedes them for northbound thruhikers, who in any case are in phenomenal hiking shape when they go through. For us mere mortal section hikers, yes, there are some nice long stretches of relatively level trail, but there are also some good climbs. And it's going to be hot and humid :) So keeping your pack weight down is a good strategy. Also, keep up with water consumption and consider some sort of electrolyte powder if that's something that helps you (it sure does help me.)

Good luck and have a great hike!

MtDoraDave
07-01-2018, 10:03
I did the section between mile 550 and 650 (or so) in VA last week. I did not bring my puffy. I did not bring a pack cover.
What I did; I brought my frogg togg jacket. When it rained, I put it on my pack to keep my pack dry. When it's warm and raining, wearing it while hiking will only make a person wet with sweat, so let the rain land on me, not the pack. At camp in the evenings or early mornings when it was around 60 degrees, I wore it a couple times, and it was completely adequate in keeping me warm enough.

I did, at one point, make the scary error. I went off trail to answer nature's call. It was a flat-ish area, so I had to go further off trail than usual. On my way back, I did not go the exact same route, but simply in the same general direction. I didn't see any hint of the trail. I had that stomach dropping "uh-oh" moment. It is SO easy to lose the trail in some places. Change return route by a few degrees and perhaps the trail curved a bit... and you're simply in the woods alone. I believe that this is how most people get lost/ go missing on the trail. I was just about to stop where I was and wait (for hours if necessary) for a hiker to come along, when I came back to the trail.
Would a compass have helped? Not if I didn't check it before going off trail and then using it exactly 180 degrees out to return to the trail. And there are places where it's rocky that sometimes the trail isn't as obvious as it is in other areas, and one could walk over it without seeing it...

I love the lid on my pack(s) for things like T.P., medicine, powder, wipes, small trash bag, pen, lighter, spare trekking pole basket... things that I often need during the day and don't want to go digging into my pack to get.

Things I've brought with me on each week-long section that I have never used: Ace bandage, spare headlight, neosporin,

QiWiz
07-02-2018, 12:58
Ditch: camp shoes, camp chair, clothes that are not worn to hike or sleep in, socks >3 pairs, underwear >3, water filter other than a squeeze-type, canister stove (use alcohol or Esbit, just my HO), hand sanitizer, dish soap (clothes/self soap is OK), big knife, big headlamp.

BuckeyeBill
07-05-2018, 11:56
A smart phone replaces a compass, maps, camera, books etc. Other stuff, well if you have carried it a few times but never used it you might want to consider dropping it, seriously, does everyone in a group need a compass and a lighter or will just one passed around work.

Yes smart phones have all kinds of apps the will replace what you say they will, especially on certain trails. However, as how many of us have pointed out here and in other threads that electronics can fail due to batteries going dead or accidentally getting wet during a creek or river fording. A compass, a good map and knowledge in how to use them will help you pin point your location good enough to help SAR Teams find you. For pictures or videos, I have found that dedicated camera makes better photos and videos than smart phones. As far as books go, I have noticed I am too tired even think about reading. Yes I will have my phone with me, but to only call for help if I have a signal and to call home to let family know I haven't been eaten by a bear.

Time Zone
07-05-2018, 12:23

I don't have experience using Scotchgard on a pack and then carrying it in the rain. However, I have used both Scotchgard and silicone waterproofing spray products on motorcycle riding gear (after the fabled "breatheable / waterproof" fabric started leaking water, which wasn't long at all) and in my experience, it provided only a marginal benefit in terms of water shedding. Water still got in, usually where the riding suit had wrinkles from my movement/positioning, or at seams. On flat areas it seemed to work OK.

What's more, it retained dirt (soot & road grime) much more - never could get it very clean. That may have been more with the silicone than the Scotchguard, I forget, but basically I did Scotchgard first and when that wasn't waterproof anymore, I went to the cheaper stuff. So by the time I went to the cheaper spray, the riding suit had more miles on it. So maybe not a fair comparison as far as discoloration goes. Note too - Scotchgard underwent reformulation in 2003. I'm not sure which one got sprayed on my gear, the old or new.

Bottom line, I wouldn't bother with either spray again for outdoor gear. Get a pack cover or poncho (or Packa, as noted).

Time Zone
07-05-2018, 12:36
Would a compass have helped? Not if I didn't check it before going off trail and then using it exactly 180 degrees out to return to the trail.

This is an important point.

Before you go, practice going off trail at home, with a compass. Just simulate it. I tried it one day, even though, to that point, I only knew how to use my compass with a map and a known location. It turns out, you don't need either a map or a known location (nor declination adjustment) to use a compass to help you go off trail. [of course, you should have a map anyway]

I simply knew the saying, "put red in the shed", and went from there. It became intuitive after that - you put red in the shed and figure out your bearing (heading?). Then you go 90 degrees from that to go perpendicular off trail, then 180 degrees from that to get back. If you think you may have trouble adding/subtracting 3-digit numbers in your head, or remembering them, write it down as you go. If the trail is faint, it helps to count your steps once you leave the trail, or time it, to avoid going past it on your return.

BuckeyeBill
07-05-2018, 14:08
With a combination of a good compass and map you can find your location on the map by using two known reference points. Then using said map, find where you want to be and take a bearing to where you want to be and start walking.

cmoulder
07-05-2018, 17:32
With a combination of a good compass and map you can find your location on the map by using two known reference points. Then using said map, find where you want to be and take a bearing to where you want to be and start walking.

Yes, you can, but it's not all that easy to do in the middle of a green thicket with no sight lines, and nigh impossible when combined with a milky overcast. Local magnetic declination can also vary greatly from True North. Lots of ways to mess up unless you really know what you're doing.

A good (if dated) adjunct to navigation reading is Harold Gatty's Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass (https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Your-Way-Without-Compass/dp/048640613X), which stresses using natural features and patterns to assist navigation... sort of the ol' 'moss on the North side of trees' but with a bunch of other clues (celestial, weather, smells, birds) I hadn't thunk of before.

Harold Gatty was Wiley Post's navigator on their 'round-the-world' flight in 1931, so he knew whereof he spoke... back in those days mistakes were quite often fatal.

swjohnsey
07-05-2018, 20:07

Yep, on the trail you are lucky to be able to see 100 yards.

BuckeyeBill
07-09-2018, 06:32
OK I will agree with you on the AT, but a map & compass requires no battery or signal to work. On the AT you can also walk to a clearer view. I also get tired of people who say "I have an app for that".

cmoulder
07-09-2018, 07:04
OK I will agree with you on the AT, but a map & compass requires no battery or signal to work. On the AT you can also walk to a clearer view. I also get tired of people who say "I have an app for that".

I agree with map and compass 100%, but people need to realize it's far from being a no-brainer to use them properly.

And to understand that 'northbound' trails can, quite often, run east, west and south for significant stretches.

Starchild
07-12-2018, 12:50

Just to point out that many of these don’t require a cell signal to work. If it can’t get gps then it’s as good as a map and compass. Yes it needs to have some charge to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk