PDA

View Full Version : How's the water situation in GWNF section in VA?

Bigg Jilm
06-29-2018, 07:12
Hey! Hiking SOBO from Rockfish Gap south to either James River or beyond beginning tomorrow. It's been a damp June, I know, but I wanted to see if anyone knew what the water sources have been like recently in this area. Thanks in advance.

DownYonder
06-29-2018, 08:24
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bigg Jilm
06-29-2018, 08:30
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hoping this cryptic message does not mean there is NO water.

Southerner
06-29-2018, 19:27
I live in the section just south of there, and we've had plenty of water of late -- too much, in fact. All water sources should be flowing at this point. Now, if it stays in the 90s for days on end like it's supposed to do this weekend, things could change quickly.

MtDoraDave
07-01-2018, 16:12
I just completed the section between the OLystery Pavilion (mile 556 ish) and the next 100 miles north, through Bland and Pearisburg. Several of the GOOD water sources on the northern end of that trip were dry.

It doesn't make sense to me. I know it has been a very wet, rainy year, still is! But that's what I found last week.

The last two days, I carried two liters instead of just one.

Bigg Jilm
07-06-2018, 14:33
I just completed the section between the OLystery Pavilion (mile 556 ish) and the next 100 miles north, through Bland and Pearisburg. Several of the GOOD water sources on the northern end of that trip were dry.

Just finished up the 75 miles from Shenandoah Rockfish Gap south to James River. Last 10 miles and especially Bluff mountain area VERY dry. Carry all the water you need up the hill.