PDA

View Full Version : Three Day Two Nights in GA, NC or VA

Aaron_Kellogg
06-29-2018, 11:50
I'm guessing this question has already been answered but a cursory look didn't turn up any results. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and am looking for good 3 day, 2 night hike for my fiancé and I to do over an extended weekend. Ideally I'd love to find a loop to avoid shuttling but would be open to a point to point with safe parking and reliable shuttle. I'm thinking something in the 20-25 mile distance as she's a little new to backpacking while I'm relatively experienced. Carvers Gap and the Rhone area keep coming up but most of what I can find is mostly overnight and not long enough. I've spent a lot of time in the Mt Rogers/Grayson area and was hoping to go somewhere new.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate some help! Thanks!

(To any moderators, hopefully this is posted in the correct area if not please feel free to scold and redirect :o )

Southeast
06-29-2018, 13:01
The Mt Sterling loop in GSMNP is nice. Easy access off I-40.

Day 1 - easy day with swimming. Big Creek trail to campsite 37. Plenty of places to explore the creek, jump off rocks into the creek, etc.
Day 2 - Explore the Mt Sterling lookout tower. Shallow Creek trail climbs to Mt Steeling, campsite 38. Nice views from the lookout tower. Short hike to get water from the spring.
Day 3 - hike down (4,000’) Baxter Creek trail

illabelle
06-29-2018, 13:04
Depending on when you're going, you might consider a loop in the Smokies. For example, starting at Big Creek Campground, you could make a loop that includes a hike to Mt Sterling, a night in the Laurel Creek shelter, a piece of the AT, a walk along a creek, etc. No shuttle required. However some of those trails don't get much use, so you might consider being prepared for tall weeds.

daddytwosticks
06-29-2018, 14:35
Standing Indian Loop over by Franklin, NC. Mostly on the AT, but uses two connector trails (Long Branch and Kimsey Creek Trail). Two beautiful mountains and cascading creeks. Easy drawn out three day hike. :)

CalebJ
06-29-2018, 15:01
Mt Sterling loop is certainly a good option. So is some version of the triple crown (Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob, and Tinker Cliffs) near Roanoke. Off the AT you might check out Linville Gorge near Asheville.

johnacraft
06-29-2018, 15:15
I'm thinking something in the 20-25 mile distance as she's a little new to backpacking while I'm relatively experienced. Carvers Gap and the Rhone area keep coming up but most of what I can find is mostly overnight and not long enough.

We hiked Carvers Gap to 19E earlier this month (in fact we camped with hikers from Raleigh and Durham), and it's one of my favorite hikes. It wouldn't be difficult to design a two-night itinerary that meets most of your criteria.

Toll House Gap to the top of Hump Mountain is ~11 1/2 miles, not including the ~1 mile side trip to Grassy Ridge. Continuing north, there's ~3/4 miles of open trail before reaching a pole fence and, soon after, treeline. The next ~5 miles from Hump Mountain to 19E are, to me, the least enjoyable of the area (lots of rocks to negotiate, no views except the Doll Flats).

A round trip from Toll House Gap to Hump Mountain (and perhaps down to the fence) would offer great views (if the weather cooperates), and several great camping options (Grassy Ridge, Overmountain Shelter, Hump Mountain, etc.).

Jane Bald looking into North Carolina

Lots of company at the Overmountain Shelter

Looking back at Little Hump Mountain

The view north from Bradley Gap to Hump Mountain (last October)

chknfngrs
06-29-2018, 16:27
Depending on time of year good hiking the triple crown near Catawba Va

Quik
06-29-2018, 18:34
Standing Indian Loop over by Franklin, NC. Mostly on the AT, but uses two connector trails (Long Branch and Kimsey Creek Trail). Two beautiful mountains and cascading creeks. Easy drawn out three day hike. :)

I will second the Standing Indian loop and easy to get to

Quik
06-29-2018, 18:34

I will second the Standing Indian loop and easy to get to

bigcranky
07-01-2018, 08:53
The Mt Rogers area in SW Virginia has a bunch of loop and straight line hikes. You can park in Grayson Highlands State Park and do a nice loop with the AT and the Pine Mountain Trail, plus an out-and-back to the summit of Mt Rogers. That's maybe 15-16 miles, but in that area you'll want to spend plenty of time just hanging out and looking at the scenery. Plus: wild horses. It's a super popular area so plan accordingly.

Dan Roper
07-01-2018, 09:03
OP said he'd eliminated Grayson Highlands from consideration as he's already been there a lot.

bigcranky
07-01-2018, 13:53
Oops, I should probably wait on these things until after coffee.....

joec
07-09-2018, 08:49
Not a loop, but get a shuttle from Damascus, Va to Watauga Dam Road (west of Boone, NC) and hike back to Damascus. This is a ridge line hike and fairly easy with good views and breezes.

Gambit McCrae
07-09-2018, 09:59
Can not go wrong with this below, keep in mind that even 20-25 miles for a non hiker is a very long way.

We hiked Carvers Gap to 19E earlier this month (in fact we camped with hikers from Raleigh and Durham), and it's one of my favorite hikes. It wouldn't be difficult to design a two-night itinerary that meets most of your criteria.

Toll House Gap to the top of Hump Mountain is ~11 1/2 miles, not including the ~1 mile side trip to Grassy Ridge. Continuing north, there's ~3/4 miles of open trail before reaching a pole fence and, soon after, treeline. The next ~5 miles from Hump Mountain to 19E are, to me, the least enjoyable of the area (lots of rocks to negotiate, no views except the Doll Flats).

A round trip from Toll House Gap to Hump Mountain (and perhaps down to the fence) would offer great views (if the weather cooperates), and several great camping options (Grassy Ridge, Overmountain Shelter, Hump Mountain, etc.).

Jane Bald looking into North Carolina

Lots of company at the Overmountain Shelter

Looking back at Little Hump Mountain

The view north from Bradley Gap to Hump Mountain (last October)