PDA

View Full Version : Safe to leave car @ Tanyard Gap or Hot Springs?

DownYonder
06-29-2018, 22:39
We have time for a 3 night trip and want to do I40 to Hwy 25 @ Tanyard Gap. GutHook says there is a gravel lot @ Tanyard Gap. Is it safe to leave a car? If not, we will cut it short in Hot Springs and need a recommendation where to leave a car there also. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
06-30-2018, 08:54
As safe as any trail side parking I would imagine. Car break-ins don't seem to be as much of a problem as it might have been years ago.

Personally, I'd end the hike at Hot Springs rather then going on to Tanyard Gap. Logistically it will be easier and doing the extra 6 miles to Tanyard seems a bit pointless to me given the heat and humidity this time of year. It's a really stiff climb out of Hot Springs, which you'd be doing in the afternoon heat.

Gambit McCrae
06-30-2018, 14:01
My experience: I have parked at tanyard for 3- 3 night trips over the years and no problems. Its kinda off the highway and feel like most people would have to stumble upon it and then choose to cause problems. I would park there for a week and not think twice about it

DownYonder
06-30-2018, 15:02
Thanks guys!! I will be leaving an old Honda that we use to take trash/recyclables to the dump. If I'm lucky someone will steal it......but then my wife will have to drive out to get us and her nickname is "wrongway". :D