PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Atlanta

Adom
02-16-2006, 11:31
Should I mail anything ahead or will baggage claim be safe enough?

We are going to be putting our packs into a large duffel to protect straps and buckles. Any other tips or tricks to reduce the chance of anything being damaged?

What about my stove? My fuel canister? Both are brand spanking new but my friends stuff has been used, will this cause problems?

Anything else I should consider?

Nean
02-16-2006, 12:32
duffel bag good, Your best advice (my guess) would be from the airline. I'd consider bringing my own beverages:)

MtnBikerGuy
02-16-2006, 12:37
Make sure your canisters are fuel free. Clean them out well and you shouldn't have a problem. I have heard of people putting slats of cardboard between their duffle and pack to help protect it. They just throw the cardboard away right there at the arriving airport. Sounds obvious, but make sure you have any knife/multi-tool packed and not on you or your carry on by mistake. I travel on business and have seen people that have done similar things and you can tell by their expression it was truely a mistake. Wouldn't be a good start on your journey.... but then again, it would make for a great story in your journal.

Adom
02-16-2006, 12:52
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

orangebug
02-16-2006, 13:49
You are coming to Atlanta. Forget having anything worries regarding fuel canisters and plan on picking up new ones at either of the 2 REI's, Wally World, or numerous other outfitters.

Duffel bags are excellent, especially if you can find a cheepy one at Big Lots, Tuesday Morning or the like. Simply discard the duffel bag when you get to ATL.

Tim Rich
02-16-2006, 14:09
Should I mail anything ahead or will baggage claim be safe enough?

We are going to be putting our packs into a large duffel to protect straps and buckles. Any other tips or tricks to reduce the chance of anything being damaged?

What about my stove? My fuel canister? Both are brand spanking new but my friends stuff has been used, will this cause problems?

Anything else I should consider?

Checked baggage should be fine. I've flown a number of times with my pack in checked luggage and never had a problem. The duffel's the way to go. If you don't want to carry your duffel with you, pick up a box from the post office (still flat) and have it in your bag, then mail the duffel back home. On our section hikes, we'd just mail it to the town where we were ending our hike so we could repack in it. If we were returning to the same airport (we did once in Newark), we'd just stash them in the storage lockers, but I believe those disappeared after 9/11.

A new fuel bottle, still in the wrapping, is the best way to go when flying. Absent that, let it air out significantly and then put it in a ziploc with the lid off. The regs say that "stoves *with* fuel" aren't allowed, and we never had an issue with our MSR stoves. If you had a stove with an attached tank that might be an issue.

Good Luck,

Tim

freefall
02-16-2006, 19:43
I called my airline(Frontier) here in Denver and they provide heavy duty plastic bags to put checked bags in to protect straps, etc....
That way you don't have to buy a duffel. Buy fuel in ATL. Only thing I'm mailing ahead is food and knife. I don't want my food crushed into powder and there is conflicting statements about knives even in checked bags, TSA says they are ok but airline says they have to be in a locked case/bag to be in checked baggage.

WalkinHome
02-16-2006, 21:14
Probably won't be a problem but what happened to me at the Atlanta Airport was my duffel, with all my gear in it, ended up in the "oversized luggage" area (in the dark over by the baggage desk). I about had a heart attack when it didn't come through the "normal" one. Of course no one tells you this (I guess you are just supposed to know) until you wait and speak to some poor slob behind the desk. I was ready to seriously hurt someone by that point. Just a heads up.

Red Hat
02-17-2006, 14:53
Walkin Home, that happened to me last year too. I was really upset until I was directed to the oversize area. Anyway, I also made the mistake of having a tiny knife in my fanny pack (forgot all about it being there) and I was taken aside in Houston and searched. Of course it was confiscated and I had to buy a new one in Atlanta. I also bought fuel after I arrived. No problem with the poles, they were inside the duffel with my pack.