PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather rescues on AT in Maine

peakbagger
07-05-2018, 17:41
https://bangordailynews.com/2018/07/05/news/state/overheated-hikers-rescued-from-appalachian-trail/

Its been a nasty week to out hiking. Most days have been national weather service high heat warning days. The dew points have been near record. Add in sun and unhealthy air and a tough time to be out in the woods backpacking.

Luckilly this stretch of weather is supposed to break tomorrow.

HooKooDooKu
07-05-2018, 17:49
100º temperatures in Maine? Wow... used to be cars sold in Maine were usually with air conditioning optional because it was so little needed that far north.

Venchka
07-05-2018, 18:22
Just another normal July day in Texas. I wonder why we don’t warnings for triple digit days?
Be safe Y’all.
Wayne

egilbe
07-05-2018, 20:54
Just another normal July day in Texas. I wonder why we don’t warnings for triple digit days?
Be safe Y’all.
Wayne

Still snow on Mt Washington. Those of us in the frozen North have barely acclimated to the Spring thaw.

Venchka
07-05-2018, 21:08
I had the good fortune to spend the last half of May in the NW corner of Wyoming. Lots of snow above 8,000’ in Yellowstone. The Tetons were snow clad as well. Coming home in Texas was a shock.
Climate change. What a trip. Hey!
Wayne

Traveler
07-06-2018, 06:29
May want to get to Glacier NP while there are still some left.

cmoulder
07-06-2018, 06:59
Last year I was out for a simple overnight trip, hiking in similar conditions. I camped at Wildcat shelter (NY) and hiked back with some thru hikers to my car, which was parked at Elk Pen. They had planned to hike to West Mtn shelter—not fully appreciating what lies between the two!—but even with 1400+ miles under their belts decided to bag it for the day, right then and there, and I gave them a ride to a motel. I think everybody made a short day of it on that occasion.

Gambit McCrae
07-06-2018, 08:00
Real glad I postponed my PA trip, I kept an eye on the temps and 3 days they reached 100+

Huntmog
07-06-2018, 08:16
Weather is fun. Doing quick overnight out of harpers ferry tomorrow with high of 80 low of 58. Last July my trip in that region washigh 90s and humid.

Odd Man Out
07-06-2018, 09:45
May want to get to Glacier NP while there are still some left.

I'm going in about 4 weeks. Fortunately they have had a wet spring so the chance of fire is lower than last year.

Slo-go'en
07-06-2018, 10:09
Cold front finally got here this morning with refreshing rain (unless your up on the ridge line, then it's got to be miserable). Tomorrow should be a nice day to do some RMC trail work, then it's back to hot and sticky for the foreseeable future but maybe not quite as bad as last week was.

Offshore
07-06-2018, 10:25
Be safe Y’all.
Wayne

Probably because when those triple digit temperatures occur in most areas of Texas, the humidity and dew point aren't typically at levels that prevent sweat from evaporating and regulating core temperature.

BillyGr
07-06-2018, 10:37
Probably because when those triple digit temperatures occur in most areas of Texas, the humidity and dew point aren't typically at levels that prevent sweat from evaporating and regulating core temperature.

Could also be that, when it occurs more regularly you get acclimated to it, where the areas it was hitting recently don't see it that often (in fact, it was mentioned here in NY Capital Region that the last time it hit 100 was in 1953! - so a couple days of 97 surrounded by 4 others in the slightly lower 90's isn't exactly a common thing either - and one would suspect that it's even less so in Maine).

Slo-go'en
07-06-2018, 14:18
Record heat around the world this week.

Tipi Walter
07-06-2018, 14:48
It's all part of Miss Nature's alluring dance. You either go out and sleep with her or don't.

Venchka
07-06-2018, 15:28
Here on the Upper East Side the humidity is about halfway between New Orleans (lethal) and Durango. Currently, on the edge of a thunderstorm (we desperately need rain) the temperature is 83 F and humidity 75%. Twilight dark.
Wayne

TexasBob
07-06-2018, 17:54

Out in west Texas that might be true but in east Texas and near the Gulf our dew points are over 70 all summer and sweat falls like rain when you are outside.

Could also be that, when it occurs more regularly you get acclimated to it, where the areas it was hitting recently don't see it that often (in fact, it was mentioned here in NY Capital Region that the last time it hit 100 was in 1953! - so a couple days of 97 surrounded by 4 others in the slightly lower 90's isn't exactly a common thing either - and one would suspect that it's even less so in Maine).
True about acclimatization. Throw somebody who isn't used to the heat and humidity into 90+ degree weather with a high dew point and they will suffer especially older folks. Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors if you live in an area where air conditioning isn't common.

Traveler
07-07-2018, 07:08
True about acclimatization. Throw somebody who isn't used to the heat and humidity into 90+ degree weather with a high dew point and they will suffer especially older folks. Keep an eye on your elderly neighbors if you live in an area where air conditioning isn't common.

The other side of the coin is when a cold front bringing temperatures into the 20 with a light 2" snow occurs in Houston or San Antonio. Warnings for these events are typically big news and broadcast a day or two in front of the storm so people can get milk and bread (essential snow bound survival foods, without which death is imminent). These advisories are important for those who do not normally experience cold and snow covered roads, just as heat advisories are important for those who do not experience triple digit heat and need to be reminded of the dangers of that as well.

SWODaddy
07-07-2018, 10:48
100º temperatures in Maine? Wow... used to be cars sold in Maine were usually with air conditioning optional because it was so little needed that far north.

Record high temperature in Maine of 105deg was set on July 10th, 1911.

Venchka
07-07-2018, 15:13
Having spent most of my life within 50 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, I can honestly say that I never acclimated to the punishment that masquerades as weather along the Gulf Coast.
Texas Trivia: I don’t think that non-residents appreciate the enormity and climatic variations of Texas. In round numbers Texas is approximately 870 highway miles across East-West & North-South. In WhiteBlaze AT trail miles speak that is Springer Mountain to Harpers Ferry.
Wayne

Last Call
07-07-2018, 16:03
When we camped at Palo Duro Canyon in Texas last June the temp was 114 degrees in the canyon bottom....but very little humidity, so it was bearable....

Slo-go'en
07-07-2018, 17:21
When we camped at Palo Duro Canyon in Texas last June the temp was 114 degrees in the canyon bottom....but very little humidity, so it was bearable....

So long as you have a LOT of water to drink!

Rain Man
07-07-2018, 23:03
Hiked up and over Snowbird Mountain just north of the GSMNP on July 4th last week. The top is "bald" and in full sun. Not sure what to make of it, but the recording thermometer on my shoulder strap recorded 105 as the high for the day.

We had planned on 13 miles that first day to Max Patch, but it took us two days to do that and even then we called a shuttle to be picked up the next morning. My partner was suffering. Fortunately, I've been practicing in the heat a lot this summer, so it didn't hit me as hard, but still left me in a mood to agree to the proposed change of plans.

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 09:22
Hiked up and over Snowbird Mountain just north of the GSMNP on July 4th last week. The top is "bald" and in full sun. Not sure what to make of it, but the recording thermometer on my shoulder strap recorded 105 as the high for the day.

We had planned on 13 miles that first day to Max Patch, but it took us two days to do that and even then we called a shuttle to be picked up the next morning. My partner was suffering. Fortunately, I've been practicing in the heat a lot this summer, so it didn't hit me as hard, but still left me in a mood to agree to the proposed change of plans.

The trip we did in the summer of 2013 was HOT as I remember you stopping at a little creek to soak you baseball hat---

If I pull a long summer trip and it's particularly HOT I used "furnace" somewhere in the trip title.

On my last Cohutta/Big Frog trip I had to call it "18 Days in the Jacks River Furnace" because of the heat. Some trip pics---

As usual I get to see Cohutta Johnny out sunning himself on the Hemp Top Trail.

The only way to stand the furnace heat and not get oven-baked is to stay by a big creek and stay submerged most of the time, in this case I'm on Jacks River after a swim.

It was so hot one day I had to throw off the pack like a baked potato drenched in syphilis(?) and while resting I see this mammal dragging along the Big Frog Mt trail. He was so hot he couldn't give Two Craps about me or my pack or my food. He looked up eventually and said "Whatever" and with a deep sigh ambled slowly off the trail.

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 09:40
Which reminds me.

One of my hottest trips was a 20 day trip I did in the TN mountains and lasted most of the month of July. HOT. See trip report---

http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/509350

What made this remarkable was not only the furnace heat but the 4 pit vipers I saw on the trip---one copperhead and 3 rattlesnakes---a record for one trip.

And what's also remarkable is that Rain Man was on that too!!!

Randy Draper and Rain Man resting in the heat on the Kirkland Creek trail.

Pit Viper #1---coppermouth on the Bald River trail.

Pit Viper #2---Rattlehead on the State Line trail/BMT---saw it after I got water at the spring. Oops.

Pit Viper #3---Rattlesnake on the Hangover Lead South trail/BMT. He literally jumped off the trail as I was descending.

Pit Viper #4---On the Big Fat trail going down to Slickrock Creek.

Offshore
07-08-2018, 09:51
The other side of the coin is when a cold front bringing temperatures into the 20 with a light 2" snow occurs in Houston or San Antonio. Warnings for these events are typically big news and broadcast a day or two in front of the storm so people can get milk and bread (essential snow bound survival foods, without which death is imminent). These advisories are important for those who do not normally experience cold and snow covered roads, just as heat advisories are important for those who do not experience triple digit heat and need to be reminded of the dangers of that as well.

Snow/ice warnings are more because entities responsible for roads where this weather is rare usually don't have the equipment and materials to clear roadways. Drivers also don't have enough experience to drive safely. It's like going to backpack in the winter and not having the experience to know what trail conditions are like in the ice and snow or what gear to bring. This is very different than a person becoming physiologically acclimatized to extremes in weather.

u.w.
07-08-2018, 16:54
I just did from the Kennebeck/Caratunk up to Katahdin last week (during the heat wave). The heat/humidity were indeed pretty brutal most days for sure!
Still... what an amazing hike!

u.w.

Time Zone
07-08-2018, 19:23
Just returned from a (failed) attempt at Obed WSR. Temps weren't bad, but humidity was, and I simply could not cool off despite pouring sweat. I don't know how you do it in the "furnace" heat, Tipi Walter, esp. with that load you carry. Very slow pace? How much water do you carry?

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 22:45
Just returned from a (failed) attempt at Obed WSR. Temps weren't bad, but humidity was, and I simply could not cool off despite pouring sweat. I don't know how you do it in the "furnace" heat, Tipi Walter, esp. with that load you carry. Very slow pace? How much water do you carry?

When backpacking up a tough trail, I go from deep shade pockets to deep shade---and never take any kind of break or stop in direct sunlight. If things get really bad I'll stop at the barest water trickle or creek and soak my t-shirt and hat and drench my hair and face and arms.

Like the cold I get accustomed to hot weather backpacking---but I know my limits. When you say "I simply could not cool off", well, if this were true for me I'd be dead by now. I always can cool off eventually.

There's a weird sensation around my face and head when it's time to really stop and take a long cooling off break. It's like my brain starts cooking and things get oven-baked so I head for shade and throw off the pack and sit down until I return to normal. Common sense. The worst is climbing a nutbuster hill with a 3,000 foot elevation gain and there's a long stretch of no shade and direct sunlight. As you say, the muggy high humidity is a big problem in the Southeast.

Other negatories of summer backpacking?
** The water you carry will never be ice cold like in the winter. It'll be warm. Sucky.
** Your shelter---usually a haven in all conditions---becomes an Oven with no relief. My tent becomes a tarp on occasion but sometimes the nighttime temps stay hot and then nothing I do will bring relief. Carrying a battery powered floor fan would be nice . . .because Southeast summer nights are often breeze-less and calm, day after day. This stillness in the air will eventually drive you nuts. You'll crave a windy night at an exposed spot on an open bald . . .

Venchka
07-09-2018, 10:23
48 degrees in Boone, NC this morning.
A cold front?
Be cool y’all!
Wayne

Tipi Walter
07-09-2018, 12:04
48 degrees in Boone, NC this morning.
A cold front?
Be cool y’all!
Wayne

I lived and backpacked all around Boone for 30 years and it really spoiled me. Summer temp highs were generally around 80F---but occasionally and rarely Boone gets hit with 90F.

Last July the hottest temp in Boone was 85F.

When I moved south to TN temps went up 10 degrees all across the board. And so backpacking in 95F mugginess sucks.

Traffic Jam
07-09-2018, 12:41
When backpacking up a tough trail, I go from deep shade pockets to deep shade---and never take any kind of break or stop in direct sunlight. If things get really bad I'll stop at the barest water trickle or creek and soak my t-shirt and hat and drench my hair and face and arms.

Like the cold I get accustomed to hot weather backpacking---but I know my limits. When you say "I simply could not cool off", well, if this were true for me I'd be dead by now. I always can cool off eventually.

There's a weird sensation around my face and head when it's time to really stop and take a long cooling off break. It's like my brain starts cooking and things get oven-baked so I head for shade and throw off the pack and sit down until I return to normal. Common sense. The worst is climbing a nutbuster hill with a 3,000 foot elevation gain and there's a long stretch of no shade and direct sunlight. As you say, the muggy high humidity is a big problem in the Southeast.

Other negatories of summer backpacking?
** The water you carry will never be ice cold like in the winter. It'll be warm. Sucky.
** Your shelter---usually a haven in all conditions---becomes an Oven with no relief. My tent becomes a tarp on occasion but sometimes the nighttime temps stay hot and then nothing I do will bring relief. Carrying a battery powered floor fan would be nice . . .because Southeast summer nights are often breeze-less and calm, day after day. This stillness in the air will eventually drive you nuts. You'll crave a windy night at an exposed spot on an open bald . . .

Tipi, i believe you normally wear shorts? I allowed my concern for ticks and brambles to override my judgement and wore pants yesterday instead of my usual skirt. The pants made me feel so much hotter. Sweat was running into my eyes which is rare for me.

I believe there are times when one can’t control every variable but must find balance. I prefer scratched up legs and having to use bug spray if it means being cooler and more comfortable.

Tipi Walter
07-09-2018, 13:14
Tipi, i believe you normally wear shorts? I allowed my concern for ticks and brambles to override my judgement and wore pants yesterday instead of my usual skirt. The pants made me feel so much hotter. Sweat was running into my eyes which is rare for me.

I believe there are times when one can’t control every variable but must find balance. I prefer scratched up legs and having to use bug spray if it means being cooler and more comfortable.

Yes, shorts always and always shorts. It also helps to have a hiking hat which provides no irritating band pressure around the head---and something with a soft bill that can be dipped in water and wrung out. They are hard to find---

I think mine is a Patagonia runner's hat or something.

There's one more consideration---Find a t-shirt YOU LOVE and does not "get hot" or feel in any way smothering. (Many nylon/poly backpacking Tees are terrible). And is super soft. It may take awhile, but once you find a brand and size, buy 5 of them.

My current fave is North Face Reaxion---and I got 5 of them. Lightweight, super soft, wicks fast and dries fast---doesn't feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag.

https://www.outdoorsinc.com/products/the-north-face-mens-short-sleeve-reaxion-amp-crew