PDA

View Full Version : Warren on Sam's 1998 speed hike attempt?

lobster
02-16-2006, 12:27
Warren,

Tactically, what would you and Sam have planned differently if you had to do it again? Were the huge mileage days at the beginning a factor in the blister under the callous issue?

Why did you regard the matter of having a comfortable lead on Horton's record at the halfway point as being so important?

Has Sam ever had thoughts of another attempt?

Any other thoughts on this speed hike attempt or speed hiking in general concerning tactics, human endurance, sleep, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks.

warren doyle
02-22-2006, 11:20
Warren,
LOBSTER,

Q:Tactically, what would you and Sam have planned differently if you had to do it again?
A:NOTHING. EVERYTHING WAS GOING FINE.

Q: Were the huge mileage days at the beginning a factor in the blister under the callous issue?
A: NOT AT ALL. THE BLISTER UNDER THE CALLOUS ISSUE WAS PARTIALLY CAUSED BY SAM'S ATROPHIED ARM DUE TO A BIRTH DEFECT. A NORMAL ARM ACTS AS A SHOCK ABSORBER GOING DOWNHILL REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF STRESS ON THE LEG/FOOT.

Q:Why did you regard the matter of having a comfortable lead on Horton's record at the halfway point as being so important?
A: GETTING TO THE HALFWAY POINT (PINE GROVE FURNACE STATE PARK) IN 24 DAYS ALLOWED FOR A PSYCHOLOGICALLY 'RELAXED' LAST HALF TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE 215 ROUGHEST, TOUGHEST MILES OF THE TRAIL IN NH/ME. SAM WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO USE BOTH ARMS TO 'ROCK SCRAMBLE' SO HIS PACE WOULD BE REDUCED A LITTLE. DAVID HORTON ALSO HAD A HIGHER MILES PER DAY AVERAGE IN THE NORTHERN HALF OF HIS AT RECORD HIKE. WE HAD A COMFORTABLE 4 DAY LEAD ON HIM AT PINE GROVE. AT THIS TIME WE WERE BOTH MORE CONFIDENT THAT ONLY VERY BAD WEATHER OR AN UNFORSEEN INJURY WOULD STOP SAM FROM SETTING THE RECORD. UNFORTUNATELY, IT WAS THE LATTER THAT CAUSED SAM TO STOP JUST SOUTH OF PORT CLINTON.

Q:Has Sam ever had thoughts of another attempt?
A: I DON'T THINK SO. HE IS PRESENTLY DOING HIS MEDICAL RESIDENCY IN CHARLESTON, WV.

THE SUMMER OF 1998 WAS SO MEMORABLE FOR ME. SAM AND I WORKED WELL TOGETHER. IT WAS AN AMAZING, INSPIRATIONAL JOURNEY WHILE IT LASTED. GENIUS IS TRULY YOUTH AND WISDOM.

Any other thoughts on this speed hike attempt or speed hiking in general concerning tactics, human endurance, sleep, etc. would be appreciated.
I FEEL UP TO THIS POINT IN LONG DISTANCE TRAIL HIKING HISTORY,
THAT MOST OF THE ENDURANCE RECORD FOLKS ARE THE TRUE OLYMPIANS.
ALL ATTEMPTS HAVE BASICALLY BEEN LOW-KEY WITH VERY LITTLE CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP AND COMMERCIALIZATION. IT HAS BEEN, FOR THE MOST PART, FRIENDLY, HONEST AND RESPECTFUL COMPETITION.
I ADMIRE THE PERSONAL QUALITIES IT TAKES TO BE A SUCCESSFUL LONG DISTANCE ENDURANCE HIKER. I ENJOY IT WHEN WE CAN GET TOGETHER TO COMPARE NOTES, DREAMS AND CHALLENGES.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO MATT'S AT ATTEMPT THIS SEASON AND HOW WELL MATT, LONE WOLF, AND NEAN WORK TOGETHER
Thanks.
YOU ARE WELCOME,
WARREN

Tha Wookie
02-22-2006, 12:14
WARREN

Very well put Warren. Not too crazy about the caps though.

I too appreaciate the long-distance endurance factor on these speed hikes. To push oneself to that level requires a real fine-tuning that is an art in itself. Plus I like seeing it on the trail -it makes me feel like I'm really taking my time, even on my "big" days.

Good luck to Squeaky, Wolf, Nean, and others.