PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Gap - AT Access

DownYonder
07-08-2018, 21:45
We will be in Asheville and I'm trying to determine how to access the AT at Lemon Gap (near Max Patch). Does any know if there is a good road from A'ville to Lemon Gap? thanks!

Slo-go'en
07-08-2018, 22:57
Google maps shows three ways to get there and claim about 1 Hr 30 Min travel time for all three choices. That's probably very optimistic. All three routes are a little complicated, so you'd better look up the directions yourself. One route uses some of I-40, the rest are secondary roads. It's not clear to me if the last leg is on forest service road or state road.

DownYonder
07-09-2018, 07:13
I've checked 4 different map apps and can't determine if I can approach from the Asheville side. Guthook shows that the Max Patch road (NC 1182) continues around to Lemon Gap but no idea if it is passable or gated. Other apps show the road to Max Patch and ID the ridge as Lemon Gap but I don't think that is correct. Therefore, the question here.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2018, 07:57
it is passable and not gated. folks live along the road

Gambit McCrae
07-09-2018, 08:04
I got 2 shuttle rides to Lemon Gap in prior years, it is just as accessible is Max Patch from both the entrances to that road up there

DownYonder
07-09-2018, 08:32
it is passable and not gated. folks live along the road

So I can come in from the Asheville side, go past Max Patch and continue on to Lemon Gap where it runs into Round Mountain Rd? I would prefer not to go around to Round Mtn Rd adding 45 minutes to the drive.

Thanks for the info!!!

DownYonder
07-09-2018, 08:33
I got 2 shuttle rides to Lemon Gap in prior years, it is just as accessible is Max Patch from both the entrances to that road up there

Great!!! Tells me exactly what I was hoping for!

Tennessee Viking
07-09-2018, 12:43
I-40 from Asheville to Harmon Den Road/Cool Springs Creek exit. Follow the road and signs up for Max Patch (Road). Go north around Max Patch. Lemon Gap is right next to the road and has some parking.

DownYonder
07-09-2018, 13:01
i-40 from asheville to harmon den road/cool springs creek exit. Follow the road and signs up for max patch (road). Go north around max patch. Lemon gap is right next to the road and has some parking.

thanks!!!! Will be leaving car @ Lemon for 2 nights and hike in from Green Corner Rd / I-40