PDA

View Full Version : Maine section hike in October

Road runner
07-09-2018, 17:02
I would like to do a short section hike in October from ME 4 to Caribou Valley Road. My dates would be October 9-11. Any advice or suggestions? I have only been in Maine in July so I don’t know what to expect.

Mother Natures Son
07-09-2018, 17:32
I wouldn't hike it UNLESS you like cold!! Enough said.

egilbe
07-09-2018, 17:42
There could be snow, a little, on the higher elevations, It will start dropping down below freezing at night. Last year, Sugarloaf opened for Skiing November 9th. It won't be warm, for sure.

Slo-go'en
07-09-2018, 20:59
Better check to see if Caribou valley road is passable. You might have to hike out to 27, but it would be an easier walk then going over the Croakers, err I mean Crocker's.

Early October weather can go either way. It can be drop dead gorgeous or literally drop dead.

A couple of days either way can make a huge difference. Be ready for 20 degree mornings and frost. If it's clear, that means it's going to be cold. If the weather is bad, it can be real bad. Best to put off the hike then risk it. Saddleback is a long, exposed ridge which puts you right in the worst of the storm. Even on a nice day you could have wind chills close to the single digit range.

Weather fronts typically move back and forth on a 3-5 day cycle, but the remints of a tropical storm or hurricane can throw that out of whack. You definitely don't want to be out there when one of those comes by.

Ideally, you want to show up the day after a cold front moves through. That clears the air and most of the wind has abated by the second day. That's the day to cross Saddleback.

Keep in mind that Saddleback/Spaulding is one of the most strenuous sections of Maine and hiking speed is typically 1 MPH or less under ideal conditions. Any kind of rain can slow that way down. Also keep in mind it will be getting dark around 6 PM. You'll need to leave HW4 by dawn to get to Poplar ridge shelter by dark.

Since your locked into specific dates, you can only hope for the best and make a judgement call if it's not.

Slo-go'en
07-10-2018, 13:55
Found out today that the Caribou valley road is washed out and not passable even by 4WD truck. This is a logging road which is currently not in use, so is not maintained. You will need to walk the road or go over the Crockers.

illabelle
07-10-2018, 14:51
Make a call to Shane and let him help you plan a doable section in that area.
207-864-3113 or 207-670-5507.

T.S.Kobzol
07-10-2018, 16:57
bring a warmer sleeping bag a hat and gloves. Woolies for night time. It will be beautiful. No bugs. Good Time. October is when my hiking season usually begins :-)

Road runner
07-11-2018, 23:02
If I could change my vacation days to September 8-10 would that make a big difference?

Slo-go'en
07-11-2018, 23:03
If I could change my vacation days to September 8-10 would that make a big difference?

That would be a safer bet. You really should add a day to the trip too.

red5
07-12-2018, 05:21
I think October would be doable (most likely) but September 8 to 10 would be considerably better. Do those dates include your travel dates (presuming from TN)?

Road runner
07-12-2018, 06:49
I think October would be doable (most likely) but September 8 to 10 would be considerably better. Do those dates include your travel dates (presuming from TN)?

No, September 8-10 would be the hiking days.

egilbe
07-12-2018, 07:15
You will be much happier in September. It takes me about 2.5 days for that section.

red5
07-12-2018, 08:59
No, September 8-10 would be the hiking days.
I'll just note that I was recently on the Caribou Valley Road and it's in pretty rough shape. One can get in about 2 miles or so (rough estimate) but I believe it's around 4 or 5 miles to get to the AT crossing. So there'd be some road walking for sure. It's a pretty busy spot nonetheless and some cars were variously parked along the side of the road when they got to parts they did not feel comfortable passing. Some hearty souls with bigger clearances made it in further.

It looks like you are planning for a 24 mile hike or so over 3 days, or 8 miles per day, right? Alternately, as someone above suggested, you could skip by CVR and hike the Crockers to Maine Route 27 if that would help with transportation. This would add around 8 miles and 2,000 feet of elevation gain or so, giving you roughly 11 mile days instead of 8.

Either way you'll have a blast. It's a great section in Maine.

red5
07-12-2018, 09:03
Another thought...Just before the AT begins to head down Sugarloaf Mountain to Caribou Valley Road one can take a 0.6 mile spur trail to the summit of Sugarloaf Mtn (this is a great view but with lots of ski buildings). From there you can hike down the ski trails or the gravel road to the base of the ski resort. It's not a fun hike but if it helps with transportation it's a good alternative.

Road runner
07-12-2018, 18:09
Who does shuttles in that area?

egilbe
07-12-2018, 19:51
Greg Roy. Someone had his number as one of the shuttlers in their sig,

egilbe
07-12-2018, 19:52
https://mainehuts.org/transportation-services

try that

Road runner
09-11-2018, 06:37
My trip was a success. It was cold, mid 30’s at night and the wind going over Saddleback was brutal. Otherwise, the weather was perfect. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

T.S.Kobzol
09-11-2018, 18:34
Happy to hear that. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk