PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Continental Trail

Relic06
02-16-2006, 16:16
Hey folks,

First post here at WhiteBlaze. I'm planning to start a SOBO thru-hike of the ECT in June. Anyone else here tried it or considered it? This means that I'll probably be starting a SOBO thru-hike of the AT this summer as well, if I make it that far.

Anyone got any tips, suggestions, specifically for the ECT? I've already pretty much researched my equipment and route. Drop-boxes will be done over spring break. Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks, and Happy Hiking,
Ryan

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2006, 16:25
First off, welcome to WB.

As far as the ECT, I suggest you send a private message to Whiteblaze member JojoSmiley who knows as much about the ECT as anyone I can think of; I'm sure she'll have all sorts of ideas and suggestions for you.

Good luck!

Nean
02-16-2006, 16:51
Have you read Nimblewill Nomads book on the ECT? Crash Test Dummy did a sobo in 04; maybe someone can direct you to him?
I'd do yourself a big favor and forget the drop boxes. Much cheaper and easier (just to mention 2) to resupply along the way. Consider a bounce box for non food items. Good Luck

Squeaky 2
02-16-2006, 17:07
check Trauma's past trips. i remember him saying he wrote a guide book for the I.A.T. quebec to katadyn. he paced it out with a pedometer. iam sure it was published.

Squeaky 2
02-16-2006, 17:14
http://www.internationalat.org/Info/SIAIAT_Pages/route
check out this website it will have all the info you will need.

weary
02-16-2006, 17:41
Hey folks,

First post here at WhiteBlaze. I'm planning to start a SOBO thru-hike of the ECT in June. Anyone else here tried it or considered it? This means that I'll probably be starting a SOBO thru-hike of the AT this summer as well, if I make it that far.

Anyone got any tips, suggestions, specifically for the ECT? I've already pretty much researched my equipment and route. Drop-boxes will be done over spring break. Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks, and Happy Hiking,
Ryan
ECT is more a route than a single trail. If you are thinking of starting on the more accessible northern terminus, that is the Gaspe Peninsular in Quebec. With a June start you can expect snow for the first month anyway. I think ECT is best done from south to north. That way one can follow the seasons and escape the worse of the black flies which are even more ferocious in Canada.

Weary

Relic06
02-16-2006, 20:18
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the help! I've not read Nomad's books, though I have looked at some of his online journals. Do ya'll really think that it'd be cheaper to skip the food drops? I know it'd be a whole lot easier, and I'd prefer not to mess with it myself. Thanks for the info and links once again, and Happy Hiking,

Ryan

PS, I'll be starting around June first headed southbound, somewhat following the routes of Nimblewill's second journey, and Spider's ECT hike. I think this way, even though I'll have some snow at the begining, and some in the middle, I won't have to keep on a specific schedule to avoid it and make the Katadin cuttoff. Thanks :)

Nean
02-16-2006, 20:39
Every town that has a post office has a store. Consider P.O. hours vs. store hours. Then consider the cost of postage, and the hassle for the folks mailing your stuff (which you will probably be sick of after a couple of months). There have been some good threads on this subject. Check 'em out if you have any doubts.

domnokmis
02-16-2006, 20:54
Every town that has a post office has a store. Glencliff? Linden?

Nean
02-16-2006, 21:10
I was waiting for that! Linden is a town?;) And a 4m (or so:rolleyes:) hitch will get you to a store from Glencliff if you need/ want to resupply there. You could also get a shuttle from the hostel there for less than the cost of postage. Anything else?:)

weary
02-16-2006, 21:48
Every town that has a post office has a store. Consider P.O. hours vs. store hours. Then consider the cost of postage, and the hassle for the folks mailing your stuff (which you will probably be sick of after a couple of months). There have been some good threads on this subject. Check 'em out if you have any doubts.
Caratunk used to. The store closed. The Post Office remains. There were a number of places in the south in 1993 that had post offices, but not stores.

My rule was to go through the data book and Wingfoot's guide to find which was closest to the trail. A suitable resupply store or a post office.