PDA

View Full Version : From Baxter, Are you heading to Portland MA or Atlanta GA?.. any advice

Goingforalittlewalk
07-14-2018, 03:32
Well I'm sitting at Shaws hostel in Maine... 115 miles to go.. still can't believe I'm here!

Anyway... I needed to sort out exit plans from Baxter back to Atlanta for my flight back to the UK.

My eta for Katahdin is around 25th July..
- if by chance anyone is heading to Atlanta and has a spare seat..
Or
Anyone living in Portland that has space on the floor for the night, so I can book and get the early morning coach to Atlanta would be an option.

Or any other suggestions on getting back... It's just complicated on booking as the timing is unsure.

Thanks

tdoczi
07-14-2018, 08:40
Well I'm sitting at Shaws hostel in Maine... 115 miles to go.. still can't believe I'm here!

Anyway... I needed to sort out exit plans from Baxter back to Atlanta for my flight back to the UK.

My eta for Katahdin is around 25th July..
- if by chance anyone is heading to Atlanta and has a spare seat..
Or
Anyone living in Portland that has space on the floor for the night, so I can book and get the early morning coach to Atlanta would be an option.

Or any other suggestions on getting back... It's just complicated on booking as the timing is unsure.

Thanks
why go all the way back to atlanta to fly home to the UK?

Goingforalittlewalk
07-14-2018, 22:29
I'm meeting back up with a last year sobo thru hiker who helped me out when I landed.. as they were the only people who i know in the USA.. it's worth the extra mile to see them again and eat a whole pizza in Dahlonega as I only managed half.
And to make a full circle trip will be cool..
And we are going to do trail magic before I leave.. as a way of a thanks for what great things I've received on this amazing trip.
Cheers

peakbagger
07-15-2018, 07:36
Worse case is more than few folks end up spending the night in the secured area of the airport (after the security gate) plenty of quiet corners to crash out in. There are late night flights that come in around 10 or 11 and then the early morning flights start around 6 AM.

FYI, the bus does not stop at the airport. You either need a cab/uber or hoof it to the Portland airport. The airport is tantalizing close to the bus terminal but separated by a tidal river, even if you did manage to cross it (its wide deep mud) you end up having to cross the runways. The walk from the bus station to the airport inst bad as long as its daylight (it does go through a popular area for homeless at night, no issues during the day). If you have a smart phone load up Portland Trails. If you walk south across the tracks you are on the Fore River Trail. It will eventually turn right and go around some private properties before paralleling the railroad tracks. It will eventually come out at Congress Street. Take a left and follow it until you cross the river (there are sidewalks). Walk across the river and then turn left onto Stroudwater Street. Follow it to the the end (an odd roundabout) and then walk through the pedestrian gate and you are on the airport road. Bear right and you will end up at the terminal. Its not a bad walk if you have a map, about 2 miles from the bus station to the airport terminal. Note the biggest risk is probably the brew pub you will pass just after you leave the bus terminal.

There is a new hostel in Portland that just opened called the Black Elephant Hostel https://www.blackelephanthostel.com/. Its near the old Port area. I expect its quite popular so contact then in advance.If you have a spare day its worth checking out the Old Port area of Portland. Take the Fore River trail from the bus station to the Fore River Parkway, cross under the interstate and follow the parkway. Cross the highway and follow Commercial street. Commercial Street starts out decidedly industrial but in about 3/4s of a mile you are entering the old Port. I expect the hostel could give you directions to the hostel from Commercial street. Its about 3.5 miles from the Old Port to the airport if you are walking the trails, several more miles if driving.

Goingforalittlewalk
07-17-2018, 23:07
Cheers for the info a big help... I'll check out the hostel in Portland.. gives me time to look a round as well..