PDA

View Full Version : 19E to hampton

heavy
07-15-2018, 13:43
I've been reading/lurking on this site forever but 1st post. We did the Roan Highlands last summer and they're awesome but we're looking to do something different this year. We're hanging around Boone, NC for a couple of days at the end of the month and thinking of doing 19E to Hampton or vice versa before heading to Boone. Is this a stretch that gets dry this time of year? Does anyone have a preference as to which direction to hike this section in? Other insights? 20-30 miles around Erwin could also be a possibility. Thanks!

Slo-go'en
07-15-2018, 14:41
It's probably a little easier going NOBO, unless you skip Pond Flats which is a serious PUD first thing out of Hampton. Normally, there is lots of water along here, but I've only done it in the spring. Some of the sources probably dry up this time of year. All in all, it's a relatively easy stretch of trail.

FrogLevel
07-15-2018, 15:29
There's tons of water on this section all year. Its easier hiking northbound.

There's an alternate you can do that's way more fun than hiking the AT the whole way. Start at 19E and hike north to USFS road 293. That's 13.3 miles north from the 19E crossing. Take a right down that forest service road for about a third of a mile then a left at the sign for Bitter end/Laurel Fork Trail and follow that for the next 7 miles to Dennis Cove. You'll hike through the valley below instead of up on the ridge on the AT. You'll parallel a stream the whole way crossing it multiple times. There's tons of falls to play around in and its much more fun than the AT. You'll come out at the Dennis Cove campground just past the Black Bear resort. A road walk of a mile will get you right back on the AT at the Laurel Fork trailhead where you can continue on if you want.

heavy
07-15-2018, 17:44
Good looking out guys. I'm excited to check out the area.

LittleRock
07-16-2018, 11:38
It's probably a little easier going NOBO, unless you skip Pond Flats which is a serious PUD first thing out of Hampton. Normally, there is lots of water along here, but I've only done it in the spring. Some of the sources probably dry up this time of year. All in all, it's a relatively easy stretch of trail.
Going NOBO, there's a short blue-blaze less than a mile after you pass the Laurel Fork Shelter that takes you to Hwy 321 near Hampton. If you take that then you can avoid the PUD over Pond Mtn. Mountaineer shelter is nice, and Laurel Falls is definitly worth a visit.

Dan Roper
07-16-2018, 15:31
There's a nice stretch along the Elk River too.

And this is the "home stretch" for Bob Peeples, AT legend. According to graffiti at Vandeventer Shelter in 2016, "Bob Peeples counted to infinite. Twice!"