PDA

View Full Version : Fake honey

MtDoraDave
07-16-2018, 15:37
Somewhere on this site, someone warned us that a lot of honey isn't "real" honey.
I just found an article about it.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/#.VaYEOvlVhuB
Apparently, "ultra filtered" honey removes all pollen particles, making it something that is not considered honey.
It also makes it impossible to track the country of origin, which to this study seems to suggest it likely comes from China where lead and antibiotics are commonly found in the honey.

Venchka
07-16-2018, 18:46
According to the label on the container in the kitchen:
LOCAL, UNPASTEURIZED
PURE HONEY
Containing its Original Pollen.
Real enough for me.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
07-16-2018, 21:48
We get our honey from the local beekeeper at the farmers market. I'm pretty confident about it. BTW, there is also a fake olive oil market.

Wise Old Owl
07-16-2018, 21:58
As a past bee keeper ... just buy it locally.

Venchka
07-17-2018, 00:15
According to the label on the container in the kitchen:
LOCAL, UNPASTEURIZED
PURE HONEY
Containing its Original Pollen.
Real enough for me.
Wayne
The pollen in the container is very visible. From across the kitchen.
Wayne

Dogwood
07-17-2018, 01:05
You want 100% raw unfiltered CERTIFIED ORGANIC honey WITH the pollen. The pollen is a critical component of what makes honey more nutritious and beneficial. The pollen has to come from from plants with flowers grown organically. Removing the pollen because Americans want clear honey is a marketing gimmick to disguise the origin and quality. When the pollen is included especially if it's from a single origin flower species, and it's raw unfiltered, it brings out the nuances of the flower, including taste. The very best I've had is 100% Manuka Flower honey from New Zealand with an MGO rating of 60 and higher and a Factor of 16 and higher. I good brand at not the extravagant price of the best Manuka Honey can be bought at Public in the Wedderspoon Brand. It's not just for eating though! It's high antibacterial, anti inflammatory, etc traits are very good for skin care. http://www.publix.com/pd/wedderspoon-honey-100-raw-manuka-kfactor-16/RIO-PCI-524479/pd/wedderspoon-honey-100-raw-manuka-kfactor-16/RIO-PCI-524479

T.S.Kobzol
07-17-2018, 09:11
Also some honey is from places where the bees are constantly being fed corn syrup and make their honeymoon out of that. I would shy away from honey from India, China... Brasil...if they make it profitable to sell massive quantities to overseas markets there is some mass production shenanigans going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
07-17-2018, 09:28
We get our honey from the local beekeeper at the farmers market. I'm pretty confident about it. BTW, there is also a fake olive oil market.

Sadly the advice I heard was that if you want real olive oil, don’t buy Italian, buy from california/US growers. Better supply chain controls and far less risk of adulteration.

Odd Man Out
07-17-2018, 12:29
Sadly the advice I heard was that if you want real olive oil, don’t buy Italian, buy from california/US growers. Better supply chain controls and far less risk of adulteration.

I heard that too. I sometimes get California Olive Ranch oil, but have also tried Tunisian olive oil too. I figured they probably are not under Mafia control, but who knows.

Analog_Kidd
07-17-2018, 20:03
Local honey, from a local bee keeper is the best. You want local pollen in your honey, from as close to where you live as possible. Ingesting the pollen will help your body build immunity to it. So, you want the pollen that you live in, in your honey. Building immunity to pollen that grows in China, or across the country does you no benefit. It is still tasty tho, so if that is your goal, just go for it.

Analog Kidd - The Bee keeper