PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal to Harpers Ferry

shelb
07-19-2018, 00:44
Hey, while I have completed over 900 miles of the trail, this will be the first time I get my hubby on the trail. We are plugging a "gap" in my trail miles (have already done SNP and north of HF).

What I am asking:
1. Bugs/temps the first week of August: We haven't decided whether to Hammock (without bugnet) or if we should just tent: Note - shelters would be preferable; we would just bring the hammock/tent as optional). \
2. Slackpacking... I am thinking we will stay at Dicks Dome Shelter and Rod Hollow Shelter - after that, hit Bears Den Hostel... and - if possible - slackpack... to Key's Gap and then HF....

Ideas on this? (Especially, any ideas about "treats" or cool things that my hubby would like!) --- any info on water would be great too!

Thanks!!!

shelb(Trailname: Einstein)

Corley
07-19-2018, 04:36
Shelters will likely be available along your route. Lots of rain this year so water sources are plentiful. Suggest you go to Spelunkers in Front Royal for the best frozen custard. Several wineries within 5-10 miles of the trail near HF. Best iced coffee in HF within 1 mile of ATC...staff can point you in the right direction.

Gambit McCrae
07-19-2018, 08:17
I thought Dicks Dome had been torn down but nope, they have just built a second shelter and that is now what guthooks calls the dicks dome location. New shelter is called whiskey hollow.
For that length of trip I wouldn't spend the effort of organizing a slack pack day I would just walk on thru.

Bears Den is definitely a cool spot and We were able to hitch a ride down and back to percyville(spelling wrong) for dinner at the magnolia which was awesome for a great IPA and burger, classy place that is still hiker acceptable.

Try and spend some time in HF, great history and a real icon of the AT. It would be fun for him to be able to walk to the CO towpath north of town along the river.
Blackburn trail center is a good .4 or so off trail but has piped water and a mix of accommodations.

Don't sweat the rollercoaster, as another thread said, if it didn't have a name attached to it would just be another section of pointless ups and downs. I did that stretch as part of my first week long trip from HF to Swift Run. We went from:
HF to Blackburn
Blackburn to Bears Den
BD to Dicks dome
Dome to Front royal.

Now days I would probably Go from HF to Bears Den skipping Blackburn but I was less experienced then and the lower mileage days starting the trip out were less intimidating.

I would definitely want a bug protectant(mesh tent liner) in VA during august.

Crushed Grapes
07-19-2018, 09:25
+1 on the bug netting. VA in August is hot and gross lol

shelb
07-20-2018, 00:11
[/QUOTE]
Corley: Thank you for the shelter and water info! I did reach out to you about shuttles! I appreciate your PM advising that! Hopefully, it will work!

I thought Dicks Dome had been torn down but nope, they have just built a second shelter ...called whiskey hollow.
Bears Den is definitely a cool spot and we were able to hitch a ride down and back .... for a great IPA and burger.
I would definitely want a bug protectant(mesh tent liner) in VA during august.
Gambit Macrae:
I appreciate all the detail! ~Especially, the info about the IPA in the town near Bear's Den. My husband will love that! We have spent time in HF, so we will not be sticking around when we finish the hike. My hubby has always wanted to go to the Yuengling Brewery, so we will be heading that way - flying that way, actually, to make it before they close at 3pm. After that, we plan to begin the journey back to Michigan and stay at an AirBNB or campground.. or, even a truck stop... lol.

Good to know about the bug netting. I have almost always stayed in shelters (rarely in the tent I carry); however, I think hammocking would bring on more bugs.. I think you are confirming that. We will bring a tent for our emergency shelter.

Thank you for taking the time to give so much info!!!!

+1 on the bug netting. VA in August is hot and gross lol

Thanks!!!!

ramdino
07-20-2018, 11:23
I heard from a thru hiker buddy that water is not plentiful in va and he has had to rely on water caches by trail angels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Crossup
07-20-2018, 13:05
That area has no water issues currently and in the Roller Coaster, each decent crosses a stream/creek/spring

Crossup
07-20-2018, 13:06
*decent = descent

ramdino
07-20-2018, 13:39
How about nobo to caledonia

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
07-20-2018, 13:39
Although some here poo-poo the difficulty of the Roller Coaster, it should not be underestimated during hot days of August.

Get as early a start as possible to beat the heat to what extent you can. This can be a popular area for camp groups, so you never know if 20 boys scouts or the equivalent have already taken over the shelter or are about to descend on you.

Countyline
07-23-2018, 09:35
For what it's worth, the Roller Coaster kicked my butt in late June as part of a section hike from Front Royal to Harper's Ferry. Mainly because it was so wet I could never dry my socks, boots, or feet out and when there was a part of the trail that wasn't rocky it was muddy. They blistered and macerated and made life miserable. So yeah, don't underestimate the Roller Coaster but don't worry about adequate water. Water is quite plentiful. And definitely stop at the Bears Den. Really cool place with really nice people and the Hiker's Special can't be beat. A bed, shower with towel, pizza, pop, pint of ice cream, AYCE pancakes, and a Tide Pod for $30.00.