PDA

View Full Version : OLD Army Pup Tent

Turtle-2013
07-19-2018, 19:28
I recently came into the possession of an old army pup tent (my wife's grandfather's tent) ... it shares similarities with a 1943 10th Mountain Division Ski tent. The pole type and stakes are the same, along with the vents and entry "tunnel". However, in my online research thus far I haven't been able to find another tent quite like it.

The major difference is that that closest I have found is the same height at both ends, and has the two pole setup at each end while this tent is taller at one end and just a foot or so high at the other end. Also, the entry end has a kind of vestibule, instead of being straight across from corner to corner.

I'm adding a couple of pics (one of a side view, and one inside). If anyone has more information about the tent, I would really appreciate it. I can send a few more pics if that would help.

Thanks,
Ron, aka Turtyl

tiptoe
07-19-2018, 23:38
Turtyl, here's a link to an old thread about our 10th Mountain tent, circa 1944, with photos. Ours is the same height on both ends.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/80138-a-tent-as-old-as-the-hills

Feral Bill
07-19-2018, 23:50
Not a pup tent. Those are a much simpler design. Maybe a post war item? I had one with the equal height ends decades ago. Not a great tent, even by 1960s standards.

egilbe
07-20-2018, 07:35
Want to read a good book about someone who spent time in The he White Mountains, was an avid alpinist and was in the 10th Mountain Division, read "Green Cognac"

Those tents were tested on Mt Washington, when the Division deployed to Italy to fight in the WWII, all the equipment they tested and improved, all the climbing, specialized Winter warfighting equipment was left behind because the Southern born and bred Commanding General decided that his mountain troops didn't need any more equipment than what he used in the trenches in WWI. As a result, all the tax payer money spent on that equipment was wasted and it was sold as Surplus. The author of the book delighted in using the equipment climbing after the war was over.

TwoSpirits
07-20-2018, 07:39
That is definitely interesting. I can see how it resembles the 10th Mountain tent c.1943, but yeah -- that dropped end and front vestibule are quite unusual. Have you seen any printing or serial numbers on the tent, or stamping on the poles or stakes?

Turtle-2013
07-20-2018, 08:37
Not a pup tent. Those are a much simpler design. Maybe a post war item? I had one with the equal height ends decades ago. Not a great tent, even by 1960s standards.

The original owner, who was in WWI and WWII called it a "one-man pup tent" on a note attached to it .... THAT was why I called it a "pup tent". I spent many nights in "traditional" pup-tents as a kid ... but I didn't see any reason to question the original owner who probably used it while in the army.

Turtle-2013
07-20-2018, 08:42
The original owner MIGHT have helped test them ... he was from NH, an avid skiier from childhood, and fought in both WW. He wrote a privately published memoir title "The Skiing Life" that doesn't talk about the war, but other parts of his life. I will look into the book "Green Cognac" for additional insights. Thank you !!!

Want to read a good book about someone who spent time in The he White Mountains, was an avid alpinist and was in the 10th Mountain Division, read "Green Cognac"

Those tents were tested on Mt Washington, when the Division deployed to Italy to fight in the WWII, all the equipment they tested and improved, all the climbing, specialized Winter warfighting equipment was left behind because the Southern born and bred Commanding General decided that his mountain troops didn't need any more equipment than what he used in the trenches in WWI. As a result, all the tax payer money spent on that equipment was wasted and it was sold as Surplus. The author of the book delighted in using the equipment climbing after the war was over.

Turtle-2013
07-20-2018, 08:46
The only text I have found anywhere on the tent is where he wrote his name on it ... as to the poles and stakes, the stakes look like they were made from reclaimed metal, so there are some random characters on them, but nothing identifying. It seems like a variation of the 10th Mountain tent, but so far I haven't found anything to confirm this except the style of poles, stakes, and general "look" of the tent. Still hoping someone can fill in the gaps.

That is definitely interesting. I can see how it resembles the 10th Mountain tent c.1943, but yeah -- that dropped end and front vestibule are quite unusual. Have you seen any printing or serial numbers on the tent, or stamping on the poles or stakes?

Shutterbug
07-20-2018, 14:10
I recently came into the possession of an old army pup tent (my wife's grandfather's tent) ... it shares similarities with a 1943 10th Mountain Division Ski tent. The pole type and stakes are the same, along with the vents and entry "tunnel". However, in my online research thus far I haven't been able to find another tent quite like it.

The major difference is that that closest I have found is the same height at both ends, and has the two pole setup at each end while this tent is taller at one end and just a foot or so high at the other end. Also, the entry end has a kind of vestibule, instead of being straight across from corner to corner.

I'm adding a couple of pics (one of a side view, and one inside). If anyone has more information about the tent, I would really appreciate it. I can send a few more pics if that would help.

Thanks,
Ron, aka Turtyl

That isn't what I knew as a "PUP Tent." I had an army surplus pup tent not long after World War II. This site has a tent that more nearly matches the World War II Pup Tent; however, with the real PUP Tent the poles were wooden dowels -- like a broom stick. -- https://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/usgtpup.htm

egilbe
07-20-2018, 14:26
That isn't what I knew as a "PUP Tent." I had an army surplus pup tent not long after World War II. This site has a tent that more nearly matches the World War II Pup Tent; however, with the real PUP Tent the poles were wooden dowels -- like a broom stick. -- https://www.atthefrontshop.com/product_p/usgtpup.htm

Shelter halves. Two soldiers each had half a tent that combined, they shared a complete shelter. The 10th mountain developed a completely different type of tent, but never used them in WWII.

Franco
07-22-2018, 20:42
A variant of or just different set up ?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-1943-army-wwii-ski-troops-1795171490

Franco
07-22-2018, 20:51
I found a mention of single and double entry versions of that tent. So possibly the one the OP has , is the single entry.

Franco
07-22-2018, 21:07
from the " Green Cognac the education of a mountain fighter "

Franco
07-22-2018, 21:20
If it isn't obvious already, my conclusion is that turtle 2013 has that test tent and that is why we can't find any other photos of it.
(now, if this site took Pay Pal I could then edit my posts and stop polluting these threads)

Turtle-2013
07-22-2018, 23:31
I found that tent as well ...
similar but different .... definitely part of the same development process!!!

A variant of or just different set up ?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-1943-army-wwii-ski-troops-1795171490

Turtle-2013
07-22-2018, 23:35
Thanks for the clip out of the the "Green Cognac" book ....
I'm inclined to agree that it was a 2nd version of the same tent... I wonder how many of them were made?

If it isn't obvious already, my conclusion is that turtle 2013 has that test tent and that is why we can't find any other photos of it.
(now, if this site took Pay Pal I could then edit my posts and stop polluting these threads)