PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter Changes

Moose2001
02-09-2003, 16:21
Been gone out of town for a week. Got home and sat down to flip through the newest REI catalog. Flipping through the section on water filters. Whoa.. what's this. A new model of MSR Mini-works filter?? The writeup on it says it now pumps 40% faster. Could it be true? Checked out the MSR website and they claim the new model of mini-works pumps a liter of water in one minute which is the same time the PUR Hiker claims. MSR also says the force needed on the mini-works has been reduced. I loved the design of this filter but hated how slow it was. Hmmm, wonder if I could send my Aqua Mira back to Campmor??

RagingHampster
02-09-2003, 17:09
No, because you still need protection from virus'. Make sure no residual water is in the filter too. Below 32 and your filter can crack. Also, get ready to open it up and scrub the nasties off with your bare hands. If your going ceramic I'd get a katadyn. Then you still need a viral chemical treatment.

Peaks
02-09-2003, 17:15
Another thing I noticed is that itis now the Katadyn Hiker Filter and the Katadyn Guide Water Filter. The text says Yes, it's the Pur filter with a new name, and same great performance.

Papa Bear
02-09-2003, 21:13
Katahdyn bought PUR.

Also check This thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1285&highlight=water+filter) on the subject.

Pb

Moose2001
02-10-2003, 11:40
RH.. it sounds like you're advocating using some kind of chemical treatment to the water AFTER you pump it. If so... I don't think so. Way to much overkill.

RagingHampster
02-10-2003, 11:59
The only filtration system which eliminates Virus' is the First Need. I had it, and it clogged on me. All other filters eliminate only Cysts and Bacteria. So if you want to chance sucking down virus', be my guest, just trying to help you.

Moose2001
02-10-2003, 16:35
RH.. thanks for the concern. Here's the reality. In the 1400 miles I did on the AT, I can honestly say I saw NO ONE who added chemcials after filtering. If were were talking about overseas somewhere, I might be concerned. Otherwise, for me, filitering is just fine