PDA

View Full Version : Miss Janets....the New Shaws?

colbys
02-17-2006, 01:27
Ok Ive Never Been To Miss Janets,but From What Ive Heard And Read Here ,i Think It Would Be Safe To Say That Now With The Shaws In Monson In Limbo That If You Took A Vote Here On Whiteblaze That The Her Place Is Now The One "you Gotta Stay There"place To Stay On The Trail.
Thanks Miss Janet!!

TOW
02-17-2006, 01:32
there will never be anyplace that will ever compare to shaws.....that was a unique place.........as as the pie lady's..........

fishinfred
02-17-2006, 03:19
Ok Ive Never Been To Miss Janets,but From What Ive Heard And Read Here ,i Think It Would Be Safe To Say That Now With The Shaws In Monson In Limbo That If You Took A Vote Here On Whiteblaze That The Her Place Is Now The One "you Gotta Stay There"place To Stay On The Trail.
Thanks Miss Janet!!

It didnt take Shaws to be in Limbo for that to be true .The TRUE Love of Hikers that radiates from Miss Janet has made her place a "Must stop and see place " since shes had the door open . As you will see when you hike thru her neck of the woods .Always on the go she simply amazed me my first stay in 03 .Morning til late late at night she is doing something for some hiker somewheres somehow and someway, all with her Heart and not her pocketbook .Its a "Gotta EXPERIENCE'" kind of place for sure!:clap

Happy Birthday Miss J see ya in the spring
Fishinfred

RITBlake
02-17-2006, 04:53
Miss Janets is Miss Janets. The Shaws were the Shaws. The Cabin is the Cabin. Hikers Welcome hostel is the hikers welcome hostel. What makes them so great is how different they all our and how unique and interesting the people that run them are. nuff said

TOW
02-17-2006, 08:11
Miss Janets is Miss Janets. The Shaws were the Shaws. The Cabin is the Cabin. Hikers Welcome hostel is the hikers welcome hostel. What makes them so great is how different they all our and how unique and interesting the people that run them are. nuff saidwell said............:clap

Big Oz
02-17-2006, 10:59
I hope to visit Miss Janets this year,I have heard she is great.I stopped in Franklin and I didn't expect a motel to treat hikers as good as they did.

Blister
02-17-2006, 14:19
It is a sad era that Shaws will no longer be available under the Shaw family name. But as said above, there is no one pace along the trail that that is the only "one stop and see". Every hostel has there own attributes. They are who they are, simply because, they ARE WHO THEY ARE. My heart and respect goes out to all those along the trail that give greatly to hikers. It is sad to see some go, but every year new situations pop up. The Shaws era in Monson may be over, with patience, I am sure new opportunities for hikers will arrise there.

neo
02-17-2006, 18:53
one things for sure,i bet know one will miss uncle johnny when he is gone:cool: neo

MOWGLI
02-17-2006, 19:01
one things for sure,i bet know one will miss uncle johnny when he is gone:cool: neo

Who is "Know One" and what year did he/she hike?

Navigator
02-17-2006, 19:10
Stayed there in 02 and did not have a bad experience. It was quite hospitable actually with Uncle Johnny being very helpful. (The conflict was not visible to thru-hikers early in the season).

Hostels come and go with time, as both the hostel and its proprietor age with that passage of that time. Each has its own uniqueness in its time. Years from now it will be another group of hostels that will be the "place to stay" and those gone past will have been forgotten except by those who stayed there and have that memory.

Will I miss the hostel when its gone, Yes I will miss all the ones that I stayed at for the memories that they brought and miss those that I did not have the opportunity to stay at in their time.

TOW
02-17-2006, 19:46
It is a sad era that Shaws will no longer be available under the Shaw family name. But as said above, there is no one pace along the trail that that is the only "one stop and see". Every hostel has there own attributes. They are who they are, simply because, they ARE WHO THEY ARE. My heart and respect goes out to all those along the trail that give greatly to hikers. It is sad to see some go, but every year new situations pop up. The Shaws era in Monson may be over, with patience, I am sure new opportunities for hikers will arrise there.update me.......what happen to shaws????

MOWGLI
02-17-2006, 19:56
update me.......what happen to shaws????

They are not opening in '06. The place is for sale.

calearn
02-17-2006, 19:59
update me.......what happen to shaws????
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12244

TOW
02-17-2006, 20:00
They are not opening in '06. The place is for sale.attroll you here that!!! there's your hostel.......go buy the place and name it whiteblaze headquarters............

TOW
02-17-2006, 20:01
attroll you here that!!! there's your hostel.......go buy the place and name it whiteblaze headquarters............i'd bet all of us here might be willing to pitch in a dollar or two to get the place going...........

RITBlake
02-17-2006, 20:12
i'd bet all of us here might be willing to pitch in a dollar or two to get the place going...........

try pitching in a couple hundred thousand dollars :-?

xXIndyXx
02-17-2006, 23:06
try pitching in a couple hundred thousand dollars :-?

hell, $295,000 that's a steal! 2000 sq ft, 3 bed/ 2 bath homes here in Florida go for that amount.

freefall
02-17-2006, 23:10
Shaw's Lodging - Monson, Maine - New Owners

Shaw's Lodging has been sold and the new owners (207-997-3744 until 9pm Eastern Time if you want information) plan to open in early May with full hiker services as described in the 2006 ­Handbook, plus dinner will be available for $12; will stay open through October; more services will be added and announced soon.

:banana :clap :jump :clap :banana :clap :jump :clap :banana :clap :jump :clap :banana

Lone Wolf
02-17-2006, 23:13
It will never be the same. Ever.

colbys
02-17-2006, 23:16
here here l.wolf.you so right about that.

freefall
02-17-2006, 23:21

makes logsitics a little easier.

Mags
02-18-2006, 11:57

There's a Latin saying

"All things change, nothing is lost".

It won't be the same in the sense there will no Mr. Shaw. The vibe will be different.

But I suspect it will still be a welcome way station on the Appalchain Trail pilgrimage. The new owners will add their own stamp to the place.

Nothing will replace the Shaws. That is so true.

But the new place will start becoming a place of its own. With its own memories, stories and legacies.

I toast the memory of the Shaws with the coffee I am drinking right now.
I also toast the new owners of whatever this place is going to be called.

Burn
02-18-2006, 12:35
Miss Janet's is a place i've been to far too often....like a oasis i shouldn't wear out my welcome. I guess other than injured folks who have stayed long on the couch, and maybe the multiple hike hikers, Miss Janet would give me the record for number of stays and return stays. Went thru when we sold our house just before christmas and spent 2 nights. Was hoping to see squeaky too, but maybe he got a few treats i left miss janet for Xmas.

Again, I'll add, Uncle Johnny has always been helpful to me on my many visits there. Of course I use his services even tho I have never stayed there. I have also hiked by and not bought a coke at times, yet found the need to return to get supplies for myself or a friend. Every Place in Erwin is well attended and used and well respected. Old feuds, or previous misgivings have been relenquished to multiple years of fair to better than average services right on the trail. I think I would buy uncle johnnies if i hit the lottery.... that is a sweet location in a sweet area of the world, if all the local homes and roads where not so close it would be magical.

loads of my hiking buddies recommend john's place as just what they expected and needed....exceeding in many ways what they expected....i guess for me that is above average review i would give them and their place actually is very nice...the individual cabins are well maintained too.... if i ever hike thru and can fight my Miss Janet Jonesing....maybe i would stay with Johnny....Holiday INN Express got my business once there too.

loadsa good folks on trail that you won't be able to stay at all of them. Been by Kincora everytime i have been thru there and have yet to stay with Bob and Pat. I know they know me by face and trail name and have never looked down on me for not staying....after staying so long at Janet's, i have to get the damascus fix fixed....besides i love wataga lake too. so many places to stay so many places on trail to stay...hmmmmm it's all good

Nean
02-19-2006, 06:23
It didnt take Shaws to be in Limbo for that to be true .The TRUE Love of Hikers that radiates from Miss Janet has made her place a "Must stop and see place " Morning til late late at night she is doing something for some hiker somewheres somehow and someway, all with her Heart and not her pocketbook .
Fishinfred

Truer words have never been spoken FF. Unfortunely too many of Miss Janets "friends" take advantage of that fact, often during busy season. So not only do THEY decide to stay free, they take up space for those who want to pay their FAIR share and prevents them the opportunity to stay and experience a "must stop".

IMO, the cost of a stay is for overnight. If one wishes to stay all day for multible days, they should add another 5-10$ for each DAY. Miss Janets is a hostel, not a boarding house.

Another problem in recent years is hikers assumed right of work for stay, too often along with their assumed amount of work and work to be done. i.e. I swept the kitchen, Thanks Miss J, seeya

Wake up Hikers!, Friendship don't pay the bills (the van doesn't run on love) and Miss Janet aint rich Real friends give more, not take more

lobster
02-19-2006, 12:35
Work for stay should eliminated. Simple!

She could of course ask somebody to do some labors and they could work out compensation.

Nean
02-19-2006, 20:33
Probably not a bad ideal lobster.

To add to my previous post, friends should consider time of year. If the place is packed and 20 hikers a day are rolling into town, make way. If the place is empty she could use the extra business, so sure- take an extra day or three, enjoy Erwin, do a slack. Consider everything, not just "me".

Lone Wolf
02-19-2006, 21:05
Work for stay should eliminated. Simple!

She could of course ask somebody to do some labors and they could work out compensation.
Most of the "work-for stay" types have a pocketfull of cash. I see them in Damascus all the time. I'll be at the Old Mill and overhear them talkin about doing work for stay while sucking down $4 beers. I would NEVER run a hostel. I don't like folks that much. Janet is a friggin angel.

Nean
02-19-2006, 21:17
yup, can't afford a bargin but got money to blow everywhere else. Then THEY think washing some dishes is worth 20 bucks. Some are even so pathetic they will turn around and talk negative about your hospitality.

digger51
02-20-2006, 01:09
I've never been to Miss Janets, but I did meet her once. I had just watched Uncle Johnny throw a hiker out for having taken a ride from Miss Janet and that afternoon when she stopped in town to offer me a ride back to Uncle Johnnys I was so afraid of getting kicked out also I had to say no. If I get to Erwin for the night this year I hope to get to her place.

Mags
02-22-2006, 12:16
yup, can't afford a bargin but got money to blow everywhere else. Then THEY think washing some dishes is worth 20 bucks. Some are even so pathetic they will turn around and talk negative about your hospitality.

Said, but true. Sometimes people with big hearts are the ones who get taken advantage of. :(

I hope (fingers crossed) the majority of hikers outweigh the freeloaders and Ms. Janet's place continues to be the welcome oasis that it has become. I've never stayed there on a long hike, but have enjoyed staying with Ms. Janet when I'd been to the ALDHA Gathering in Pipestem.

Seems the trail has a "weeding out" factol. Few of the free loader types seems to make it past Damascus or Harpers Ferry at the latest.

But, I have not done a long hike on the AT in sometime. Does the trail still weedout the free loader types? Or are there enough services where trashy hikers (as opposed to hiker trash. ;) ) can freeload from GA-ME?

I am naive and basically an optimist. Hope there are enough good eggs that AT hikers aren't looked on like the Vandals sacking Rome!

Twofiddy
02-22-2006, 12:34
I might agree with some of the original poster thoughts, however nothing will ever become "the new shaws"

What the Shaw family has done to futher the ability of hikers to complete the Appalachian Trail and complete the 100 mile wilderness is far beyond anything that anyone else could have ever done in Monson Maine.

I am fortunate to have hiked Thru, rested and refueled, and sat and chatted with Shaw Sr. in 2003 just months before he became very ill eventually leading to his passing.

I am sad to learn that the family may not be able to continue to operate the house the same way they had done for so many years. I wish that there was some way to create a non-profit that would help preserve places like SHAW's and WOODS HOLE and other places along the trail that have been landmarks and a must when hiking thru or just hiking for a few days for that matter.

I am not the nonprofit guru but it seams like with the number of hikers that pass through these places that finding seasonal or just week long volunteers to staff these places would work out just fine with a fair charge of $15 to $50 per night depending on what all services were provided from meals to beds to showers shuttles etc. The problem is that the realestate would have to be placed in trust by the owners because rasing the capital to purchase Shaws Boarding House from the family would be very expensive.

Twofiddy
02-22-2006, 12:40
Most of the "work-for stay" types have a pocketfull of cash. I see them in Damascus all the time. I'll be at the Old Mill and overhear them talkin about doing work for stay while sucking down $4 beers. I would NEVER run a hostel. I don't like folks that much. Janet is a friggin angel.

It seams that I have disagreed with you alot today, but that is ok...

The only reason the guy doing work for stay is doing it is to save money. Regardless of the situation, weather he is a dirt poor hiker, or a wealthy one, he does it for the same reason. If he is able to save money and enjoy a few beers, then great for him.

I do hear and see your point, Work for Stay in an option at most places, and they dont require a financial statement to figure out if you qualify for aid or not, you are simply offering to perform said services for said reward. What you do with your own time and your own money is your choice.

I did work for stay along my 03 hike. Never because I could not afford to stay, but because I enjoy being on a budget. It was not worth $50 for me to stay here, or $10 to stay there, or what ever. It was worth it for me to save my money and use it later for other things. I call it thrifty. If you really need the money, or really dont have the money, and need the work for stay, you just need to make that more of a priority to get to town, get some work done, get some bed time, a meal, and get going to the next place to work again before some one beats you to it.

lobster
02-23-2006, 12:27
I think the point being made is that the work they do is no where equivalent to what they get in return.

And yes. In the end that is the owner of the hostel's fault, but it seems that a hiker with an ample supply of cash maybe would not fill a work-for-stay spot that a truly needy hiker might truly appreciate!

Twofiddy
02-23-2006, 23:59
I think the point being made is that the work they do is no where equivalent to what they get in return.

And yes. In the end that is the owner of the hostel's fault, but it seems that a hiker with an ample supply of cash maybe would not fill a work-for-stay spot that a truly needy hiker might truly appreciate!

I personally would never take the spot that a truly needy hiker would appreciate.

However I have found that my mechanical aptitude and my resume of skills came in handy to do good work for stay on my thru-hike. I reconditioned every single bicycle that could be fixed, and fixed 2 lawnmowers and a weedwacker, at Barn Hostel in Gorham and stayed 3 nights with showers for free. All in all it took me about 4-5 hours worth of work spread over 2 days and I did a short volunteer trip up to AMC camp for about 2 hours to fix a few leaky pipes in a kitchen where hikers used sinks to wash dishes for AMC work for stay.

At that Red Barn near Woodstock or North Adams Vermont (forget the exact road crossing right now) I did work for stay there (stayed in the main house with the owner and his family, for fixing the plumbing to the hiker shower that had been broken all summer due to a hiker taking a shower in cold weather the year before.

I never hesitated to take the opportunity, but I never took the opportunity from some one else in need.

lobster
02-24-2006, 12:57
Well, it sounds like the chores you did were great deals for the hostel owners considering fixer-up dudes usually charge between $30 and $60 an hour if the hostel owners have to hire them!

Burn
02-25-2006, 07:59
how about working for stay and dropping more than the average donation in the till also....i have only done this at janet's and i could list what my work for stay has included....plumbing....upstaits bath....for folks who know i only messed up one fitting...hot water and toilets don't mix...hehehe, warshed dishes, cooked a many a time, cleaned up the back yard numerous times....that janet is a pack rat and thinks that an old rotten board has value hehehe, she got onto me for cleaning too much up. I trust my buds who drop by the same time i do, are doing the same thing, i've seen em mow and clean and chip in more than their fair share and drop miss janet more than a dime....also the road trips to help out the hikers gives miss janet the opportunity to do what she does and she gets credit for the help we have done....its always Miss janet's is great....rarely has anyone ever said what i did was great....hehehe....cause i do what i do because i love miss janet...who knows why...i woulda never met her if folks didn't spin her place to start with.

i know we sent one guy hiking with an offer to buy him a bus ticket home cause he had like 40 bucks and no food....and folks just were leary of him....i saw him later in 05 in pearisburg....no it was laurel creek lodge...doing work for stay and doing fine....no one seemed to mind him there and he was working for stay there....who knows where he got or why we were so pompus to say how he should hike his hike or why i hike/work/idiodically do the things i do when i do them....or drop money where i drop it...if i hiked as much as i spend money to hike i would be somewhere in aussie land or ireland or at some pub telling lies with squeaky about stuff that didn't matter but sounded sweet over a stale ale...in defense of Miss Janet's and her policies....how it works i will never understand, she takes a shoe string and makes it what is impossible to be to make everything better....she didn't become the icon of the south by logic, but love...if i did the samething, i'd flop, she gets love back...i'd say i could learn a lot from her.

Lion King
02-25-2006, 11:50
I tell you, when I heard SHAWS was closing, it broke my heart.
Even if I never do a GA-ME thru or section hike again, I always, ALWAYS look forwad to getting to shaws. Always.
Now, my love of hiking Maine in September will not have teh smae feeling.
How can I be expected to hike the 100 mile wilderness without a 4X4????

I think that is a huge piece of magik that will be missed by former hikers, and an experiance that will take a chunk out of people who expected to experiance it.

Miss Janets obviously rocks, she is teh bestest, but as all have stated, each individual place has its own style and magic.

Sly
02-25-2006, 12:30
Well, it sounds like the chores you did were great deals for the hostel owners considering fixer-up dudes usually charge between $30 and $60 an hour if the hostel owners have to hire them!

It's not about the money, but returning good deeds. Most hostels which charge short money to stay there, wouldn't exist if everytime something went wrong that had to hire a fixer-up dude.

weary
02-25-2006, 13:04
Thanks Miss Janet!!
One should always be careful of what one wishes for in this world. Keith Shaw was a fine gentleman and I'm glad I had the experience of staying there.

But I also recall that not everyone over the years have joined in this WhiteBlaze Shaw's love fest. Keith was human and had some ordinary human faults. I heard many complain over the years about Keith's bitter attacks on his competitors such as the Pie Lady. I know at least one hostel operator took Keith aside once and advised him that he should tone down his rhetoric because he had heard so many complaints from hikers when they stopped at his place further south.

Having stayed at Shaw's and hitched a ride with Keith in Baxter Park, I know the criticism was valid.

Shaw's was an institution. I am sad to see it go.

I know that most hostels are at least partime businesses and competition plays an important part in their survival. But the bitterness that erupted in Monson and Erwin was not good.

I prefer the Andover model. The last time I was at the Cabin, their chief "competitor" was there for having breakfast with Margery and Earle. Both hostels, I suspect, benefited from a friendlier exchange.

Weary

Lone Wolf
02-25-2006, 14:21
Andover wasn't always peachy. I remember the year Peg Leg opened up. He got pissed at me cuz I was at the road crossing with my truck waiting on some friends. He drove up, asked what I was doing, where the hikers were gonna stay, I said Pine Ellis, he accused me of stealing his business. ****** him. Another time I was at Grafton notch waiting on hikers with a vehicle. The Cabin guy pulled up and asked what I was doing. Same thing, wanted to know where I was taking the hikers. There was a lot of hostility that year between The Cabin, Andover Guest House and Hiker's Paradise in Gorham.