PDA

View Full Version : I apologize in advance....

Meenkya
07-22-2018, 06:41
Saw this and thought at only a pound.......mmm. Is it sacrilegious, crossing the line, natural evolution, or a blessing?

https://www.bigagnes.com/CHAIR-ZERO

motocross269
07-22-2018, 07:11
I have one..I really like it but I only use it on trips I am running heavy and not trying to push miles...

Tundracamper
07-22-2018, 08:15
I have one..I really like it but I only use it on trips I am running heavy and not trying to push miles...

+1. Usually when I get to camp after a long day hiking, I don’t feel like setting it up.

Two Tents
07-22-2018, 08:38
I know for me a proper place to sit is as big a part of my recovery as is a good nights sleep.

nsherry61
07-22-2018, 08:53
+1. Usually when I get to camp after a long day hiking, I don’t feel like setting it up.
Really? Wow! Don't get me wrong, I have one of these plus an REI chair that is similar and I have never taken either on a backpacking trip. But, I don't think the 20 or 30 seconds it takes to set one up has ever stopped me. I'm just to much of a weight weeny and find other ways to sit comfortably when backpacking. What I love mine for is festivals I walk or take public transportation to or traveling, especially car trips, where space is at a premium.

What I don't like about these chairs is how the feet sink into soft ground. I keep planning on making a cloth or webbing base to work as an ultralight platform to keep the feet from sinking into the ground, but I haven't pulled out the sewing machine to do so yet.

Something kinda like this (https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Cover-Beach-Ground-Sheet/dp/B074YCPF3V/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G9M8G6YSTQJKDR76HYFY), but lighter and simpler if custom made to fit without all the extra strapping.

soumodeler
07-22-2018, 08:53

I'm the same. I use a Thermarest Z Seat for most trips, but when I am out on a short trip where I expect a lot of camp time, I bring my chair. I have the REI version which weighs a little more, but still worth it.

Funny side story: A few years ago, I was out on a section hike during thru hiker season, when I stopped with a handful of thrus for a break. One of them saw my chair and shouted out to the group "This guy's got a chair!!!". They acted like they couldn't believe that I had my own chair with me. One asked about weight, and they were pretty much dumbfounded that my pack weighed less than theirs even with the chair. I just laughed and hiked on.

cneill13
07-22-2018, 09:14
I take the Helinox chair and table on every single hike regardless of distance. They are two of my must have items. Total weight just under 3.5 pounds but worth every ounce to me.

nsherry61
07-22-2018, 10:05
I take the Helinox chair and table on every single hike regardless of distance. They are two of my must have items. Total weight just under 3.5 pounds but worth every ounce to me.
I love seeing how many different ways there are for each of us to enjoy our time outdoors. Our diversity of pleasures and solutions it awesome.

Meenkya
07-22-2018, 18:50
I love seeing how many different ways there are for each of us to enjoy our time outdoors. Our diversity of pleasures and solutions it awesome.

Amen Brother!!! A big +1

Meenkya
07-22-2018, 18:53
https://www.bigagnes.com/product/13009
Check this out....What I don't like about these chairs is how the feet sink into soft ground. I keep planning on making a cloth or webbing base to work as an ultralight platform to keep the feet from sinking into the ground, but I haven't pulled out the sewing machine to do so yet.

Something kinda like this (https://www.amazon.com/Trekology-Cover-Beach-Ground-Sheet/dp/B074YCPF3V/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G9M8G6YSTQJKDR76HYFY), but lighter and simpler if custom made to fit without all the extra strapping.[/QUOTE]

Two Tents
07-23-2018, 07:23
The Alite May fly model has bars across the bottom not feet. There might be others made that way too. Not a single bar like one the one model that you balance in but two, a front and back bar. I'm not sure of weight comparison compared to a four footed style chair.

English Stu
07-30-2018, 07:28
I saw an idea on YouTube where a gal made a three legged stool in camp with three short branches bound together in the middle; she also made the triangular sheet with pockets to accept the branches. I have such a seat with metal legs and I thought I could just take the cloth and as long as there is wood about make up the legs. There is usually somewhere to sit at a shelter but elsewhere sitting on the ground to cook is not the best.

DownYonder
07-30-2018, 07:48
I thought that was what bear cans are for! :rolleyes:

moytoy
07-30-2018, 08:28
At 71 YO that extra lb may be the difference I need to make a summit. I'll just continue to use a ground cloth to keep my backside dry.

Buff
07-30-2018, 10:26
I freakin love that chair!! I agree with Two Tents, comfy sitting is part of recovery for me.

DuneElliot
07-30-2018, 11:05
For that weight I'd rather carry one of these and sleep off the ground:
https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite

Meenkya
07-30-2018, 11:56
For reference, what is your height/weight?

martinb
07-30-2018, 12:54
Worth the weight. I got one for overnighters where there aren't a lot of seat options. It spoiled me and now I take it every time I go out.