PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs To Harper's Ferry Section Hike

Halloween
07-22-2018, 21:45
I've section everything from Katahdin to the NY/NJ border. I'm planning a late August SOBO Boiling Springs to Harper's Ferry hike over 7 days. The plan is to park at the Harper's Ferry National Historic Park parking lot then shuttle to Boiling Springs.

Any advice on the following or any other considerations would be appreciated:
The park's operating hours are 9 am - 5 pm: Is it possible to get in/out of the parking lot outside those hours?
According to AWOL's guide there seems to be plenty of water sources but heard PA can be dry. It has been a dry July in the Northeast just not sure about that section. Are the sources, particularly streams, reliable in August?

I'm aware the AT shuttle list: Any shuttlers in the area that you would recommend or another method to get to Boiling Spring's (i.e. MARC train)?

Planning to arrive late Friday (11:00ish pm) and understand there are several lodging options: Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for you help!

RangerZ
07-22-2018, 23:00
I've section everything from Katahdin to the NY/NJ border. I'm planning a late August SOBO Boiling Springs to Harper's Ferry hike over 7 days. The plan is to park at the Harper's Ferry National Historic Park parking lot then shuttle to Boiling Springs.

Any advice on the following or any other considerations would be appreciated:
The park's operating hours are 9 am - 5 pm: Is it possible to get in/out of the parking lot outside those hours?
According to AWOL's guide there seems to be plenty of water sources but heard PA can be dry. It has been a dry July in the Northeast just not sure about that section. Are the sources, particularly streams, reliable in August?

I'm aware the AT shuttle list: Any shuttlers in the area that you would recommend or another method to get to Boiling Spring's (i.e. MARC train)?

Planning to arrive late Friday (11:00ish pm) and understand there are several lodging options: Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Mark “Strings” Cusic in the guides

chknfngrs
07-23-2018, 07:10
Lots and lots of rain recently should help.

There is a trail from the AT to the parking area in Harper’s Ferry. I don’t recall it being longer than 3/4 mile so it’s walkable anytime. You’d miss the shuttle from downtown to the parking area, but as I recall we were told the gates were “dummy” locked and we were able to depart at 8am because of that. Should not be a problem to leave after hours

chknfngrs
07-23-2018, 07:12
Outside of boiling springs close to town SOBO is a hiker campsite you could get to with little effort that late at night to avoid spending a night in a bed

Slo-go'en
07-23-2018, 08:32
Outside of boiling springs close to town SOBO is a hiker campsite you could get to with little effort that late at night to avoid spending a night in a bed

Camp there and you will also avoid getting any sleep, due to the endless fright train traffic all night. The campsite is 100 feet from the tracks. The one time I camped there, I packed up and left at 3 AM (along a few others) and started hiking as it was apparent we were not going to get any sleep anyway.