PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mtn. Parking ?

bigcat2
02-17-2006, 01:58
Hey everyone, I have a quick ? that I hope you all can help me out w/. I am preparing to hike up to Roan High Knob Shelter this weekend and wanted to put in around Iron Mtn. Gap. Is there any parking here and if there is, is it realatively safe to leave a car overnight? If not, what's the closest area to park? Thanks for your help in advance.

orangebug
02-17-2006, 13:03
There are a couple of dirt roads and wide areas to park there. It is at least safe enough for the local hunters. Another option is to park at Carter (?) Gap, but there is a current thread suggesting problems there with breakins.

Gray Blazer
02-17-2006, 13:35
There are a couple of dirt roads and wide areas to park there. It is at least safe enough for the local hunters. Another option is to park at Carter (?) Gap, but there is a current thread suggesting problems there with breakins.

Carver's Gap.....I heard there was a big problem with break-ins at Iron Mountain Gap. Maybe you should contact Miss Janet about a ride.

bigcat2
02-17-2006, 16:11
Thanks for the help and advice so far. I may call Ms. Janet but I'll need her number. Thanks again.

orangebug
02-21-2006, 11:45
Just checking, but did you get Ms Janet's number? I suspect that you would do equally well with her or Bob Peoples in that region.

bigcat2
02-21-2006, 15:29
Thanks for checking back orangebug. I was not able to get her number before I left, but I had no problems parking in that area. I had a great trip even though we didn't make it to Roan High Knob but we stopped at the one before it due to running out of time. It was a great weekend w/ the new snow on Saturday and then on Sunday it was a beautiful blue sky w/ the snowcover. Thanks again for all you help w/ the information you provided.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2006, 15:39
Glad you had a good time. Where did you end up leaving your car?

bigcat2
02-25-2006, 03:31
I actually just ended up parking it there on the side of the road. There was another vehicle there as well and neither one was bothered as the occupants of the other were leaving as we were hiking out.