PDA

View Full Version : Black Timber Rattlesnakes in Shenandoah National Park

Corley
07-24-2018, 13:24
In recent weeks several visitors have reported black Timber Rattlesnakes in Shenandoah National Park. Visitors have brought pictures of these black rattlesnakes to Park Rangers at the Byrd Visitor Center in Big Meadows. The visitors encountered these rattlesnakes on trails and fire roads in the Central District. These snakes weren't aggressive and didn't move from where they were found. Due to the unusually high rainfall this year snakes are moving to drier areas. Though uncommon, black Timber Rattlesnakes have been found throughout VA.

MuddyWaters
07-24-2018, 14:25
Timber rattlers are common everywhere, and are a very docile, laid back snake. They an even be picked up without rattling, (by fools). It is very common for them to NOT rattle.

Tipi Walter
07-24-2018, 14:26
Welcome to the club. On my last Southeast trip I saw three timber rattlesnakes.

My record for one backpacking trip was in July 2015 when I saw 3 rattlesnakes and one copperhead.

Some are buckskin colored, some are copperish, some are near black, some blend in---

Buckskin colored on Upper Creek trail Pisgah NF.

Very Dark on South Fork Citico trail.

Hard to see on the Bald River trail.

Some with a distinctive copper . . . uh . . . head. This on Jacks River trail in Cohutta.

Tipi Walter
07-24-2018, 14:31
Timber rattlers are common everywhere, and are a very docile, laid back snake. They an even be picked up without rattling, (by fools). It is very common for them to NOT rattle.

The most pissed off snake I've ever seen was a rattlehead up on Bob Bald in NC---laying in a long line until I walked up and he rattled for 30 minutes and could be heard from 50 feet away.

jimmyjam
07-24-2018, 17:35
As much time as I spend in the area, I've only seen one and it was south of there, near Humpback Rocks and it was in road, dead. I seen dozens of black snakes in the SNP.

Dogwood
07-25-2018, 03:36
The visitors encountered these rattlesnakes on trails and fire roads in the Central District.

That's where I've run across them.

moldy
07-25-2018, 07:24
Breeding season Mid May until Mid July

Crushed Grapes
07-25-2018, 09:51
As much time as I spend in the area, I've only seen one and it was south of there, near Humpback Rocks and it was in road, dead. I seen dozens of black snakes in the SNP.

Humpback Rocks is where I saw my first rattler. I was trucking up the trail and he/she was crossing it and started rattling. Scared the living heck out of me. If I had been hiking with other folks and not focused I probably would have stepped on it.

Time Zone
07-25-2018, 11:59

Too well camouflaged; as noted above, if I wasn't nearly 100% focused on where my next step would be, I'd risk stepping on it or getting too close.

Underappreciated virtue of black snakes: easy to spot.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2018, 12:35
Ive an old habit of looking at trail 3-10' in front of me. I dont worry the least about rattlesnakes.

But ive been knocked on my arse, and even broken tooth by collision with tree fallen acoss trail at head height. Much more dangerous.

JPritch
07-25-2018, 12:47
The only two timber rattlers I've seen have both been black phase and both in Amherst County VA. One near The Priest summit and the other near the summit of Cold Mountain.

earlyriser26
07-25-2018, 13:03
Rattle snakes are common in central Virginia. I have a section of the trail about 7 miles south of the entrance to Sky line drive. I see snakes in the trail every year. Two years ago I was weed whacking and actually kicked a snake that was sitting in the trail. He was not happy, but fortunately, did not strike. Most time they don't rattle unless disturbed. I am going out tomorrow to weed whack and I will be looking at the trail.

Wise Old Owl
07-25-2018, 21:40
Welcome to the club. On my last Southeast trip I saw three timber rattlesnakes.

My record for one backpacking trip was in July 2015 when I saw 3 rattlesnakes and one copperhead.

Some are buckskin colored, some are copperish, some are near black, some blend in---

Buckskin colored on Upper Creek trail Pisgah NF.

Very Dark on South Fork Citico trail.

Some with a distinctive copper . . . uh . . . head. This on Jacks River trail in Cohutta.

Awesome post Tipi! love the pics.

QiWiz
07-26-2018, 13:21
We see rattlers quite a bit on hikes in western and central PA. Especially on the Black Forest Trail and on the Chuck Keiper Trail. My favorite quality of rattlesnakes is that they are nice enough to rattle and let you know they are there (at least some times).

Tipi Walter
07-26-2018, 14:32
Awesome post Tipi! love the pics.

Thanks for the input.

Malto
07-26-2018, 18:37
We see rattlers quite a bit on hikes in western and central PA. Especially on the Black Forest Trail and on the Chuck Keiper Trail. My favorite quality of rattlesnakes is that they are nice enough to rattle and let you know they are there (at least some times).
We hike the same paths and have the same view of these polite creatures. From a recent Mid state trail hike.43286