PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in Pennsylvania

Lauriep
07-24-2018, 14:58
ATC has received reports of 3 sections of the A.T. in Pennsylvania that are already flooded or expected to flood soon: around Swatara Gap; Rt. 34; and areas in the Cumberland Valley.

The Conodoguinet Creek (by the Scott Farm on the south end of the Cumberland Valley) is not expected to crest until Thursday so water levels in some areas may continue to rise.

Other low-lying areas and creeks in Pennsylvania and throughout the mid-Atlantic may also be flooded.

Be careful out there. Be sure to carry a map and compass and be prepared to turn back and/or find an alternate route, or postpone your hike.

More info is posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/updates).

ramdino
07-26-2018, 21:43
ATC has received reports of 3 sections of the A.T. in Pennsylvania that are already flooded or expected to flood soon: around Swatara Gap; Rt. 34; and areas in the Cumberland Valley.

The Conodoguinet Creek (by the Scott Farm on the south end of the Cumberland Valley) is not expected to crest until Thursday so water levels in some areas may continue to rise.

Other low-lying areas and creeks in Pennsylvania and throughout the mid-Atlantic may also be flooded.

Be careful out there. Be sure to carry a map and compass and be prepared to turn back and/or find an alternate route, or postpone your hike.

More info is posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/updates).
Is there any flooding or trail closures from Bears Deb Hostel in Va to Caledonia SP in Pa?

Slo-go'en
07-26-2018, 22:41
Is there any flooding or trail closures from Bears Deb Hostel in Va to Caledonia SP in Pa?

You'll be well south of where the flooding is(was). I wouldn't be surprised if the little creeks at the bottom of the roller coaster bumps are a bit more then rock hops and a few could be swamps. Just hope that another band of rain doesn't set up over the area while your out there.

ramdino
07-26-2018, 23:04
You'll be well south of where the flooding is(was). I wouldn't be surprised if the little creeks at the bottom of the roller coaster bumps are a bit more then rock hops and a few could be swamps. Just hope that another band of rain doesn't set up over the area while your out there.Looking at weather I'm considering starting closer to home and going in Ga. I'm in nc and to get to pa then shuttle back to bdh is a 10 hr day and i miss a decent day of hiking just to walk the next week in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

capehiker
07-27-2018, 00:09
Caledonia was flooded yesterday. Saw footage of the trail that goes by the pool area and it looked like a roaring river.

ramdino
07-27-2018, 06:25
Caledonia was flooded yesterday. Saw footage of the trail that goes by the pool area and it looked like a roaring river.
thanks, i moving my trip to GA

BlackCloud
07-27-2018, 08:52
Any update on the Swatara Gap area? I'm actually planning to cycle the rail trail that goes through there tomorrow with a friend.

Gambit McCrae
07-27-2018, 09:13
You'll be well south of where the flooding is(was). I wouldn't be surprised if the little creeks at the bottom of the roller coaster bumps are a bit more then rock hops and a few could be swamps. Just hope that another band of rain doesn't set up over the area while your out there.

I remember Rod Hollow Shelter being on real flat, low lying ground with walk boards all around. Wouldn't surprise me if water got up in that area during high levels of fast rainfall.