PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Soup Recipes?

Lewis Clark
07-28-2018, 21:23
I've been playing with a tomato soup mix recipe for a few days now. So far, I have made my mouth sad. Here is my recipe for one serving so far:

2 Tbs. Tomato Powder
1 tsp Chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbs. Potato Flakes
5 Tbs. Nonfat dry milk
1 cup water

Basically I take this dry mix, add it to the water and bring to a boil and then let it sit for five minutes, covered. I need to start using low sodium, or salt free bouillon as it is quite salty. I'm thinking I need to use a powdered potato rather than flakes because the mouth feel is pretty gnarly. It is sludge-like. I'm thinking the addition of some olive oil to the mix at cooking time should help the milk proteins not coagulate also, which is another source of a nasty mouth feel.

Does anyone have a tomato soup recipe that they like, or do you prefer buying a commercial dry mix?

chknfngrs
08-02-2018, 07:56
One ketchup packet per 8 oz of hot water. Squirt, stir, and enjoy!

Gambit McCrae
08-02-2018, 08:03
Not so great for backpacking, but my favorite and only tomato soup that I will eat is Panera Bread Tomato and basil. It is very tasty

illabelle
08-02-2018, 10:40
Tomato soup from dehydrated ingredients? I think if I was going to go to that much trouble I'd just dehydrate some canned soup.
I've been known to carry a can of tomato soup for a short distance on the trail. I love tomato soup, but it needs to taste good.

HenhawkHenry
08-17-2018, 07:02
Thanks for the recipe. Might try it out as well.

Hikes in Rain
08-17-2018, 16:18
If you get Chef Glenn's newsletters, this one is about making and dehydrating Gaspacho, cold tomato soup. It's now on my list to try. https://www.backpackingchef.com/recipes-for-adventure.html

Lewis Clark
08-23-2018, 21:37
Nice! Thank you!

Hikes in Rain
08-24-2018, 21:34
You're more than welcome! Chef Glen has a host of good stuff.

Old Hiker
08-24-2018, 22:20
ALWAYS add a couple of tablespoons of medium picante.

kestral
08-25-2018, 11:32
If you get Chef Glenn's newsletters, this one is about making and dehydrating Gaspacho, cold tomato soup. It's now on my list to try. https://www.backpackingchef.com/recipes-for-adventure.html

Thanks for the link!

i subscribed and added my Dori liver treats (medicated doggie cookies for old pups)

i like to putter in the kitchen and will defiantly try his sweet potatoe bark breakfast recipe:), also apple pie filling mix to rehydrate and put in a tortilla for breakfast is going to happen.