PDA

View Full Version : Pasta Flavoring/Seasoning Sauce Packets

DuneElliot
07-29-2018, 16:10
Leading on from my other thread about hiker non-hunger I am looking for suggestions on where I can find small condiment-sized packets of sauce or flavorings for pasta or rice.

Taco sauce hot sauce is one of my options but looking for other choices too. I am not picky on flavors when it comes to pasta so small packets of pesto or sundried tomato or alfredo etc. Can anyone make some recommendations? I am interested in small packets like taco sauce or simple dried ingredients like powdered milk with ... to make a flavored sauce. I would add these to ramen noodles for freezer bag cooking.

And before someone mentions it I have tried the Knorr sides but didn't enjoy them without the actual cooking part.

MuddyWaters
07-29-2018, 16:23
Well, ramen works good because its precooked
Knorr sides are pasty and nasty if dont actually cook the noodles.

Soup mixes work good to add flavor to any noodles.

Minute rice works good too

But the best IMO, is small elbow macaroni. Precook, then dehydrate. You can do in oven with door cracked without dehydrator. Doesnt tangle together like spaghetti, rehydrates perfectly, perfect texture in 15 min in freezer bag.

Buy mountain house ground beef if dont want to dry yourself.
Little bit ghee, nido if needed

Then, avail yourself to every type of flavor packet in mac/cheese, hamburger helper, sauce packets (taco, sloppy joe), etc. Taco sauce/beef/taco seasoning in tortillas, sloppy joe/beef in tortillas, etc.

Macaroni, spaghetti sauce, pineapple in my dehydrator. My kids are home from college currently, i cantget ahead on pineapple. They eat it as fast as i can dry it. Ive spent 100 on pineapple in last 2 mo, still out.

DuneElliot
07-29-2018, 16:35
Well, ramen works good because its precooked
Knorr sides are pasty and nasty if dont actually cook the noodles.
Soup mixes work good to add flavor to any noodles.
Minute rice works good too
But the best IMO, is small elbow macaroni. Precook, then dehydrate. You can do in oven with door cracked without dehydrator. Doesnt tangle together like spaghetti, rehydrates perfectly, perfect texture in 15 min in freezer bag.

Buy mountain house ground beef if dont want to dry yourself.
Little bit ghee, nido if needed

Then, avail yourself to every type of flavor packet in mac/cheese, hamburger helper, sauce packets (taco, sloppy joe), etc. Taco sauce/beef/taco seasoning in tortillas, sloppy joe/beef in tortillas, etc.
Macaroni, spaghetti sauce, pineapple in my dehydrator.

I only have two trips left before moving back to the UK so I don't want to get into anything complicated or bulky. I'm also on a very tight budget as I have very limited resources to get me through the next two months.

I never thought about dried soups...those are a great idea. I wonder if adding some dried milk would add some oomph or make them worse and icky. I will be using ramen noodles and minute rice because of the quick cook and FB cooking suitability. I agree about the Knorr sides and your description of them...thought they would be okay with boiled water and a pot cozy but they weren't

Last Call
07-29-2018, 16:39
Bear Creek dry soups are available at Wal-Mart & Kroger, work and taste great!

MuddyWaters
07-29-2018, 16:54
I only have two trips left before moving back to the UK so I don't want to get into anything complicated or bulky. I'm also on a very tight budget as I have very limited resources to get me through the next two months.

I never thought about dried soups...those are a great idea. I wonder if adding some dried milk would add some oomph or make them worse and icky. I will be using ramen noodles and minute rice because of the quick cook and FB cooking suitability. I agree about the Knorr sides and your description of them...thought they would be okay with boiled water and a pot cozy but they weren't
Most small pasta will fbc acceptably if you put it in water, while it heats to boiling, then cozy it in pot, pour off excess water into bag for sauce mix, and soak them apart. Pour noodkes intbo bag when done. Just leaves little starch on pot from noodles, but not yucky food. Hamburger helper, pasta roni, mac mac cheese can be done this way.

Problem with knorr sides is sauce mix is mixed in noodles already. So dont lend itself to this.

The big problem with fbc....is pouring hot water cools it by about 10f. Dont matter how fast you pour it. It cools substantially from vaporization. The water isnt hot enough to cook un-cooked pasta....unless you do it in the pot. By time you pour into bag, and warm up cold food, your lucky if its 185f. But precook the pasta and dehydrate it.....works wonderfully.

Puddlefish
07-29-2018, 17:01
My favorite Ramen addition at home is a Thai inspired spice mix, I create myself. large amounts first, then fading to small amounts... of Garlic, mustard powder, tumeric, cayenne, cumin, and peanut butter, added to the Ramen chicken salt flavor. I also add in chicken and fresh veggies. The noodles themselves are added last minute.

To make it trail worthy, would be all powdered spices, premixed in a little container, a small packet of peanut butter, a foil packet of chicken, and dehydrated veggies. I kind of hate plain Ramen and Knorr sides.

I'll add about anything into a Knorr side to give it some flavor, pepperoni, tuna, spam, hunks of cheese... whatever the fisherman brings. Fritos to top it. to add some crunch.

RangerZ
07-29-2018, 21:56
I gave up on the knorr pasta sides and just do the rice sides.

I agree with getting the taco or sloppy joe mixes to add to dehydrated rice or dehydrated small pasta. Break the packet down into smaller amounts and add to freezer bag.

Pepperoni slices are are good to add to anything.

Dogwood
07-30-2018, 01:39
Simply Organic, found in mosts grocery stores including WallyMart: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=simply+organic+spice+packets&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78683852456056&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_59q3ueu3wm_b Their alfredo basil, tomato basil and mushroom packets have wide spread applications.

Edwards&Sons has dried Miso soup packets with bits of seaweed and tofu or white miso:https://store.edwardandsons.com/pages/shop These are far better than any pseudo food "science" cheap Ramen "spice"(salt and MSG) packets. They also have non MSG bouillon cubes. BTW buckwheat noodles or SOBA noodles are a far better alternative than cheap Nissen or Maruchan brand crap!!! Ramen noodles! These are GF and not based on wheat despite the name. Often found near sesame seed oil, baby corn, dried shiitakes, NORI seaweed sheets, peanuts, etc even in some Dollar General's.

Both pastas and rice can have a nut butter like almond or cashew butter added with some red pepper flakes, green onion, carrot shreds, dried edamame(found in the produce or natural foods aisles), dried ****akes, sprouts, sesame seed oil, EPIC jerky, TVP/soya chunks(larger than ground beef size), Badia brand dried shrimp(found at WallyMart), etc added

Another way to go is basing the sauce on full fat coconut milk powder. Native Forest Organic makes a decent version not based on maltodextrin derived from GMO corn. It's also showing up more and more at Wally world, Publix, etc. https://www.publix.com/pd/native-forest-coconut-milk-powder/RIO-PCI-527696 There are so many ways to take it up a notch. Heres' one: add cashews, green onions or scallions, a small serrano or chile or Thai pepper, chopped ginger, and dried mango OR go Indian with green or red curry and those Badia dried shrimp garnishing with green onion

Knorrs has spice packets if Organic isn't your thing, found everywhere.

DuneElliot
07-30-2018, 09:25
Simply Organic, found in mosts grocery stores including WallyMart: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=simply+organic+spice+packets&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=78683852456056&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_59q3ueu3wm_b Their alfredo basil, tomato basil and mushroom packets have wide spread applications.

Edwards&Sons has dried Miso soup packets with bits of seaweed and tofu or white miso:https://store.edwardandsons.com/pages/shop These are far better than any pseudo food "science" cheap Ramen "spice"(salt and MSG) packets. They also have non MSG bouillon cubes. BTW buckwheat noodles or SOBA noodles are a far better alternative than cheap Nissen or Maruchan brand crap!!! Ramen noodles! These are GF and not based on wheat despite the name. Often found near sesame seed oil, baby corn, dried shiitakes, NORI seaweed sheets, peanuts, etc even in some Dollar General's.

Both pastas and rice can have a nut butter like almond or cashew butter added with some red pepper flakes, green onion, carrot shreds, dried edamame(found in the produce or natural foods aisles), dried ****akes, sprouts, sesame seed oil, EPIC jerky, TVP/soya chunks(larger than ground beef size), Badia brand dried shrimp(found at WallyMart), etc added

Another way to go is basing the sauce on full fat coconut milk powder. Native Forest Organic makes a decent version not based on maltodextrin derived from GMO corn. It's also showing up more and more at Wally world, Publix, etc. https://www.publix.com/pd/native-forest-coconut-milk-powder/RIO-PCI-527696 There are so many ways to take it up a notch. Heres' one: add cashews, green onions or scallions, a small serrano or chile or Thai pepper, chopped ginger, and dried mango OR go Indian with green or red curry and those Badia dried shrimp garnishing with green onion

Knorrs has spice packets if Organic isn't your thing, found everywhere.
I didn't even think about buckwheat noodles or other similar nutritionally-better noodles, but can you get them in the dehydrated form like Ramen so they can be used in FB cooking? I love the recipe ideas but I just don't have the location to do any of that...currently don't have a homebase and I'm just in my truck.

I will check out the other things you have suggested though...they sound interesting