PDA

View Full Version : REI has UL45 Pack on clearance for $29

SloHiker
02-17-2006, 16:00
Pretty good price if you happen to be lookin at on of these........

Kerosene
02-17-2006, 16:19
I ordered one for my daughter last week, and it should arrive at the local REI store next week where we can tune it to her. Note that this price only applies to the Platinum/Sage color, and you may need to be an REI member (which is easy to sign up for). Weight is 2 lbs, 10 oz.

timhines
02-17-2006, 19:20
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856709&parent_category_rn=4500574&vcat=REI_SEARCH
maybe that link will work.

You can purchase this without signing up I think. I can't remember. I made my first REI purchase last week, I went ahead and signed up to be an online member (not one of the pay memberships).

Lump76
02-17-2006, 19:44
Just ordered one of these for my girlfriend. You don't have to be an REI member... just have to create a user account at REI.com. Shipping is $5.99. You really can't beat this deal... especially if the pack is for a first-timer who you're not sure is even going to be into backpacking.

mark10203
02-17-2006, 20:27
Yeah, I picked up a couple for my two daughters. They look to be pretty solid, lightweight with good construction and quality.

Anyone out there own one? I couldn't find any reviews on them on the web.

Mark

Skidsteer
02-17-2006, 20:40
The website says $59.83, not $29. :confused:

greentick
02-17-2006, 20:53
The website says $59.83, not $29.

they are on "super sale" additional 50% at checkout...

timhines
02-17-2006, 21:22
Yep, put it in your cart.

Any item that ends in 83 cents is half off.

Skidsteer
02-17-2006, 21:37
Thanks guys. Just got one for my wife. Great price!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-18-2006, 09:03
The Women's UL45 is also on sale at this price - a great item for the smaller ladies here.

neo
02-18-2006, 10:58

$59.83 on rei website:cool: neo

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47856709&parent_category_rn=4500574&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_LD

Toolshed
02-18-2006, 11:22
Ordered mine last night (I was going to buy a couple an decided not to be greedy) for $29. Shows $59 but rings up at 50% off. This was the deal of the season!!!! I just looked now - They are all gone.

neo
02-18-2006, 11:24
Ordered mine last night (I was going to buy a couple an decided not to be greedy) for $29. Shows $59 but rings up at 50% off. This was the deal of the season!!!! I just looked now - They are all gone.

wow thats cool:cool: neo

neo
02-18-2006, 11:33
wow thats cool:cool: neo
GONNA ORDER 1 TODAY:cool: NEO

neo
02-18-2006, 12:27
i just ordered one less than $ 33.00 counting sales tax,i will pick it up at rei
in nashville,no shipping charge that way:cool: neo

hammock engineer
02-18-2006, 16:14

They are still there. Men's and women's versions. The girl friend just got one. Just lightened my load on trip with her.

bigmac_in
02-18-2006, 16:16
A BIG thank you to SloHiker for starting this post - just ordered one for me too!!!

neo
02-18-2006, 17:21
A BIG thank you to SloHiker for starting this post - just ordered one for me too!!!

excellent price ya cant beat:cool: neo

blindeye
02-18-2006, 17:50
thanks slohiker i had this pack on my list and i just bought one. after tax and shipping $37 and change . thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Kerosene
02-18-2006, 18:11
Note that you can have the pack shipped to a local REI retail store, thereby saving the shipping, where you can get a salesperson to help adjust the fit of the pack.

Riddick
02-18-2006, 20:50
How big of a difference is there between the men's version and the women's? My wife is wanting a pack, but I'm not sure she's going to stick with it after the first nasty hike we have. If there's not too much of a difference I'll get the men's version and just keep it for myself as a smaller pack if her participation falls through.

Thanks

grrickar
02-18-2006, 22:58
A good deal, but why are they so cheap? Does anyone know anything about the comfort or durability of this pack?

Roland
02-19-2006, 05:14
~~~My wife is wanting a pack, but I'm not sure she's going to stick with it after the first nasty hike we have. If there's not too much of a difference I'll get the men's version and just keep it for myself~~~
This sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, to me.

Think of this from her point-of-view. If you purchase a men's pack for her, aren't you sending the message that you don't expect she'll enjoy hiking (therefore she's not worthy of a $29 investment)? She may live up to your expectations.

If you want another pack for yourself, maybe you should just buy it.

*steps off soapbox*

Riddick
02-19-2006, 10:58
This sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, to me.

Think of this from her point-of-view. If you purchase a men's pack for her, aren't you sending the message that you don't expect she'll enjoy hiking (therefore she's not worthy of a $29 investment)? She may live up to your expectations.

If you want another pack for yourself, maybe you should just buy it.

*steps off soapbox* Small soapbox :)

Clearly you don't know my wife. She walks in malls for days, but you get her away from her shower and she'll be complaining pretty quickly hehe.

If I were looking for another pack, I would definitely not look at this one. If I were going to spend the $30 on myself, I would find something else to spend it on other than a pack. If I buy one and it happens to fall into my hands, I'll probably look at ways to scavenge the harness/belt system and possibly make my own pack.

The question still stands: What's the difference between the men's and women's packs? I know bags are shaped different, insulated differently perhaps, but I've always been curious about pack differences.

Roland
02-19-2006, 12:47
Small soapbox :)

Clearly you don't know my wife. She walks in malls for days, but you get her away from her shower and she'll be complaining pretty quickly hehe.

If I were looking for another pack, I would definitely not look at this one. If I were going to spend the $30 on myself, I would find something else to spend it on other than a pack. If I buy one and it happens to fall into my hands, I'll probably look at ways to scavenge the harness/belt system and possibly make my own pack.

The question still stands: What's the difference between the men's and women's packs? I know bags are shaped different, insulated differently perhaps, but I've always been curious about pack differences.
Hey, are you married to my first wife? Wait. That can't be. I'm still married to her. Maybe they're sisters. ;)

My point was that if you sincerely wish to interest her in your hobby, buy her a special pack. It might be the best 29 bucks you ever spent.

To get back to your question, I know nothing about these packs. I should have kept my mouth shut, but whenever I see someone walking towards the edge of a cliff, I can't help myself. Anyway, glad you didn't take offense. :)

Riddick
02-19-2006, 14:32
Hey, are you married to my first wife? Wait. That can't be. I'm still married to her. Maybe they're sisters. ;)

My point was that if you sincerely wish to interest her in your hobby, buy her a special pack. It might be the best 29 bucks you ever spent.

To get back to your question, I know nothing about these packs. I should have kept my mouth shut, but whenever I see someone walking towards the edge of a cliff, I can't help myself. Anyway, glad you didn't take offense. :)

No offense taken.

It would be great if my wife would take up to hiking, as long as she let me get away without her sometimes hehe. I'm fairly confident, however, that she will go on 1, possibly 2 overnighters, and call it done. I'll order her one and if she takes up to it we'll go from there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-19-2006, 18:25
Reddick, the difference between men's and women's packs is where the lifters attach to the hip belt. Also, the hip belt angle can be adjusted at both the top and bottom. The sternum strap on some is also slightly higher to avoid crushing the 'girls'. The small women's size will fit petite women - the medium is slightly shorter than a man's medium.

Two Speed
02-19-2006, 19:10
Does anyone know if the UL 45 has lash tabs on the bottom of the pack? Looking for a pack in this volume range, but I want to be able to lash my shelter under the pack; don't want it inside.

Thanks

Alligator
02-19-2006, 20:23
Does anyone know if the UL 45 has lash tabs on the bottom of the pack? Looking for a pack in this volume range, but I want to be able to lash my shelter under the pack; don't want it inside.

Thanks
If you've never tried this, I have in the past placed my tent between the top lid and main pack body on packs configured with a top lid. It only takes up a little space and stays put. Just a thought.

neo
02-19-2006, 21:22

Thanks

this pack is so small ya need very compct gear:cool: neo

neo
02-19-2006, 21:32
this pack is so small ya need very compct gear:cool: neo

here are a couple pics of my packed 1.6 lb ultralite backpack non asym
henn hammock next to it is a 20 oz powerade bottle for size comparison:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10042&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10041&c=577

mbroadhe
02-19-2006, 23:36
here are a couple pics of my packed 1.6 lb ultralite backpack non asym
henn hammock next to it is a 20 oz powerade bottle for size comparison:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10042&c=577

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10041&c=577
What does this have to do with the REI pack?

Two Speed
02-20-2006, 07:10
If you've never tried this, I have in the past placed my tent between the top lid and main pack body on packs configured with a top lid. It only takes up a little space and stays put. Just a thought.I've seen that done, but I really want it below the pack; less water migrates into the rest of my gear if I have to stow a wet shelter, after a rain, for instance. Yeah, I'll admit it, I'm being anal about that.

this pack is so small ya need very compct gear:cool: neoWell, I've made a 32 litre daypack work for a three day loop around Standing Indian in mild weather, so I believe I've got that under control. :D Kind of tight, and absolutely no room for cold weather clothing or additional rations, so that pack is a no-go for winter packing.

Does anyone have an opinion about the feasibility of having a couple of lash tabs sewn to the bottom of this pack? Is the material durable enough to handle a 1.5 lb shelter being attached to the bottom?

Thanks, and Happy Trails

neo
02-20-2006, 09:25
What does this have to do with the REI pack?

some one asked if their tent would fit in the pack,i used this to show you need very compact gear to fit in pack,did you read the other post:cool: neo

neo
02-20-2006, 09:32
i will be getting my pack next wensday,not bad for 29.83:cool: neo

http://images.rei.com/media/206561.jpg

chicote
02-20-2006, 11:01
[QUOTE=neoi have looked at one,i would not buy one :cool: neo
[/QUOTE]

From the other thread. LOL just thought it was funny. Amazing what price can do to ones decision :banana

neo
02-20-2006, 11:09
From the other thread. LOL just thought it was funny. Amazing what price can do to ones decision :banana

hey the price made the difference worth trying:D ,neo:cool:

Lump76
02-20-2006, 13:38
There was some discussion on another thread about problems with the stays in the first generation of the UL45 packs. Apparently the stays were mislabeled and inserted upside down. This made the pack uncomfortable (especially around the lower back). It was suggested on the other thread that if you flip the stays right-side up (or upside down, depending on how you're looking at it), the pack rides much better because the stays more properly follow the contour of your back. Not sure if this problem still exists in the newer UL45 packs... but if so, that would make sense and explain why they are on such a good sale. I for one don't mind flipping the stays if it means I save $70.

Kerosene
02-20-2006, 19:18
According to another thread I found on the UL45's, this problem should have been fixed for the most current inventory. All of the reviewers who flipped it (it was mislabeled also) immediately felt relief.

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 02:12
Does anyone know if the UL 45 has lash tabs on the bottom of the pack?

No, it does not. I'm going to add straps to the bottom of my UL 45. GOTTA be able to attach a sleeping pad or sleeping bag down there.

Rain:sunMan

Lump76
02-21-2006, 17:09
Those of you who are familiar with this pack, I have a quick question. Will this pack work for a 8-10 day summer section hike with my girlfriend in which I'll be carrying most of the load? I'm planning on carrying around 40 lbs in my 5400ci pack so she can carry about 20-25. I'll have the tent, cooking stove, and other misc. gear. I'm thinking she will only have to carry her clothes, food, water, and sleeping bag/pad (Light Year 25/ Thermarest Prolite 3). Will she be able to fit all that in this pack?

QHShowoman
02-21-2006, 17:42

Thanks

Well, I wouldn't call them lash tabs, but there are two relatively small loops of cord with toggles on them that one could presumably use as lash tabs. You'd have to add some sort of straps to extend their size, but they would certainly help, although I wouldn't lash anything super heavy to them.

Rain Man
02-21-2006, 22:16
Will this pack work for a 8-10 day summer section hike with my girlfriend in which I'll be carrying most of the load? ... I'm thinking she will only have to carry her clothes, food, water, and sleeping bag/pad (Light Year 25/ Thermarest Prolite 3). Will she be able to fit all that in this pack?

I think she'll be fine. Wife took my UL 45 for a 3-and-a-half day trip on the AT with me. It was a tight fit at first, but she got everything she needed into the UL 45, and after I took some of her stuff (she was beat on those mountains), she had room to spare.

Rain:sunMan

chomp
02-22-2006, 10:13
The $29 deal is officially over. The new colors are in, and they are $100. You can still buy the old color packs, but the price is back to $60.

Two Speed
02-22-2006, 10:45
. . . I wouldn't lash anything super heavy to them.Opinion on whether they'd support a 1.5 lb shelter?

Rainman, how about you?

Thanks

jeepcj258
02-22-2006, 10:53
The $29 deal is officially over. The new colors are in, and they are $100. You can still buy the old color packs, but the price is back to $60.

I can not believe I missed this. I am on REI right now and I can not get the deal.

Oh Well, was not meant to be.

Jaybird
02-22-2006, 11:20

i clicked on the REI LINK given....it was FULL PRICE...what gives?
did ALL the orders SCARE the price back UP?:D

neo
02-22-2006, 11:22
i clicked on the REI LINK given....it was FULL PRICE...what gives?
did ALL the orders SCARE the price back UP?:D

to late sale ended monday,i ordered 1 sunday:cool: neo

QHShowoman
02-22-2006, 11:38
Opinion on whether they'd support a 1.5 lb shelter?

Thanks

I don't think a 1.5 lb shelter would be a problem, although you'd have to use straps or something to tie it on to the "lash straps" as they are really small.

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 14:21
Opinion on whether they'd support a 1.5 lb shelter?

Rainman, how about you?

You'd still have to attach straps, but yes, I think they'd hold a 1.5 lb shelter.

Rain Man

P.S. "Rainman" is another WhiteBlazer, not me.

Two Speed
02-22-2006, 16:39
. . .
P.S. "Rainman" is another WhiteBlazer, not me.

.Whoops. Fingers faster than the mind once again.

Thanks, Rain Man and QHShowoman. However I've missed the sale and really don't have $60 for a pack that's going to need modifications anyway. Maybe next year.

chicote
02-28-2006, 15:33
Just got the two I ordered in. Looks nice and adjustable sitting here in my cubicle. Plan on taking it out for a day loaded hopefully this weekend.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-28-2006, 15:55
I'm jealous. I was busy and didn't check whiteblaze all weekend. Really could have used two of these packs for my young teenagers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2006, 21:21
I got mine today (women's medium). Loaded it with about 20 lbs and it felt great. I plan to attach a couple of D-rings on reinforced points to lash my bag to the bottom. The provided tabs don't look to be too sturdy.

neo
02-28-2006, 21:41
i picked mine up today,i also picked up a rei 45 degree travel down bag i paid 30 bucks i used my 49.00 divedin check and my 20 % percent discount,so i got a 99.00 bag for 30 bucks:cool: neo

http://www.rei.com/product/47985810.htm

Blissful
02-28-2006, 22:47
I got mine today (women's medium). Loaded it with about 20 lbs and it felt great. I plan to attach a couple of D-rings on reinforced points to lash my bag to the bottom. The provided tabs don't look to be too sturdy.

Wow, I'm getting excited! I get mine on Monday when we venture to the REI store in Fairfax, VA. My dh ordered another six packs for the Boy Scout troop for that $29.95 price. BTW - any problems with fit - like the suspension upside down?

neo
02-28-2006, 23:04
Wow, I'm getting excited! I get mine on Monday when we venture to the REI store in Fairfax, VA. My dh ordered another six packs for the Boy Scout troop for that $29.95 price. BTW - any problems with fit - like the suspension upside down?

mine fits perfect,these packs are small,and i will use mine 3 seasons,winter i will use my 1 lb liter and larger equinox katahdin,excellent pack for the $29.00:cool: neo

chicote
03-01-2006, 09:13
I flipped the stays on mine and my wifes pack. I think the tabs are plenty strong for something lightweight. I actually am running a string through those tabs and the bottom of the suspension behind the harness to hold my sleeping pad on the pack. I'll probably replace the string with shock cord. I'll post a pick later this week when I have time. I'm pretty impressed with these packs. I think Kelly and I will try to get our gear situated so we can use these for our thru in 07.

Two Speed
03-01-2006, 10:15
. . . The provided tabs don't look to be too sturdy.Yeah, checked one out over the weekend for fun. Might work for the 1.5 lb shelter I wanted to hang there, but I'm sceptical, and I don't want that cutting loose while on the trail. Still, if they go on sale next year and I haven't picked up a new pack I may see about sewing some lash tabs to the bottom.

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm VERY interested in field reports, so keep 'em coming, guys.

Deb
03-01-2006, 11:34
For loads of 15 pounds or less, has anyone removed the aluminum stay in favor of a rolled up Ridegrest? Or nothing? The pack actually seems well enough padded that you wouldn't miss the stay. Granted, it does give the pack some structural integrity.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-01-2006, 12:03
Hi all, I received mine this past Saturday, which was lucky as I was heading out on Sunday for a dayhike up to Mount Greylock in MA. Here is my review that I wrote up on another website.

================================================== ======
I was happily surprised that I received my REI UL45 pack on Saturday as it was not expected to arrive till during the week, so I used it Sunday for a dayhike up around Mount Greylock.

First, you may not be aware of it, but the metal frame that supports the whole shoulder harness system maybe put in backwards. I found this out before ordering and expected as such, and mine was the same way. I basically removed it, flipped it around, and voila! It fit perfectly. This error has been reported on another AT website, some REI shops know it, and I thought it has been mentioned here on VFTT as well, so if you ordered one, and you feel that the metal strap is poking right into the middle of your back, just take it out, play around with it and you will fix the problem.

First, the fabric is light weight, well it is a lightweight bag so yeah! I do not expect the bag to hold to lots of bushwhacking , dragging or stuffing with sharp cornered objects, so keep that in mid. It is hydration compatible, has a slot on both sides so if you prefer left or right, your good. It also comes toggles that attach to the bladder if you are using one like Nalgene's which has the corresponding holes. I have a 2 liter bladder and a 3 liter Camelback which I used Sunday because it was insulated. It looks like the toggles and bladder sleeve are set up for a 2 liter bladder as the 3 liter was too tall. Not a big problem, a minor nit actually.

I loaded it with about 15 lbs of stuff for a winter day hike including my bivy, a Marmot Trails bag, some spare clothes, a stuff bag with emergency gear, the bladder, down coat, crampons in their bag and food and it handled the load very well. It has a funky harness system that rides in a way that the shoulders and hips can move independent of each other which is a nice thing. The harness is very adjustable, and I found it to work well.

As for other features, it has two pockets on the lid, one that is on top, one on the underside of the top, btw, the top is fitted to the bag, it does not float so what you see is what you get, no expansion. The internal compression system worked well for me, although the toggle that you cinch for it is a bit tricky with gloves or mittens on, I may change it. There are fours mesh pockets, two on each side; large ones down low, smaller ones up top. The lower ones do not really seem large enough to carry a 1qt bottle, at least a normal Nalgene style ones. I am sure if you are using smaller soda bottles as your hydration system you would not have a problem.

There are two small daisy chains for lashing items too, and it is set up for carrying two ice axes. I removed one of the velcro straps, I had thought about bringing along my regular ice axe for the hike, but left it behind. There is also a small pocket and -pouch on the hip belt, I used the zipped pouch to hold a few snacks. They are both too small to carry anything beyond a powerbar or a bag of snacks, they are too small to carry a normal sized camera or anything as large.

Overall the bag worked very well, I was not disappointed with it, or found any major flaws that would make me leave this in the gear box at home. As a comparison, I own and use the Gregory G Pack, 05 Model, and use it regularly, are the comparable, yes, but both have some unique features. I would say the Gregory fabric seems to me at least, a bit stronger overall, but the REI has a better bottom on the bag so it may not wear out as much. It also has a vrey narrow profile, which I prefer, it does not flair out from around your back, it seems to sit in a very nice profile. That may be handy if you are going through some places that may snag the bag as you pass.

So far in the short term, I do like the REI version, and will look forward to putting it through some more tourture!"
================================================== ======
Catch you later...
KevBoy

Blissful
03-01-2006, 14:16
I flipped the stays on mine and my wifes pack. I think the tabs are plenty strong for something lightweight. I actually am running a string through those tabs and the bottom of the suspension behind the harness to hold my sleeping pad on the pack. I'll probably replace the string with shock cord. I'll post a pick later this week when I have time. I'm pretty impressed with these packs. I think Kelly and I will try to get our gear situated so we can use these for our thru in 07.

If you can make it work, send pics so I can see about modification also for an 07 thru. Also, anyone else that modifies theirs to fit a pad and / or bag on the outside. Not sure though if I can get all my stuff in there when leaving in mid March.

Deb
03-02-2006, 13:42
I received this pack 3/1 and happily spent an hour playing with it. By the end of an hour I was frustrated. I am not so keen on the suspension system, it just seems weird and unnecessarily complicated.

You know a pack is working for you when you just forget about it, like it's not even there...this pack keeps reminding me it's there.
No matter which way I turned the aluminum stay, it was uncomfortable.
I'm 5-2 and ordered a woman's small. It should have fit, maybe I'm just shaped funny.
Finally I discarded the stay and just rolled up my sleeping pad in the main compartment as a support. Better. Filled it with all my gear, 16 pounds, plenty of room.
I don't understand the adjustment straps on the top of the harness where they attach to the top of the pack. If they're not pulled tight, the pack sags away from your back. If they're pulled tight, the sternum strap is across your throat.
This was a problem with or without the stay.
The hip belt is awesome, but the shoulder straps are not as substantial as I'd like.
The pack is made to move with you, but even with a light load, there was lots of wobble.
Any other reservations people are having about this pack?

Kevin A. Boyce
03-02-2006, 14:24
Deb, At first the sternum strap was almost choking me as well, but by adjusting the straps at the top of the shoulder strap; I am work trying to remember how the set up is... But I was able to get them to fit comfortably. There is a buckle under the top of the shoulder strap, not the one you use to cinch down on from where it attaches to the pack itself. There was enough extra webbing there that it lowered the straps so the sternum strap was a usable level. I also slid the sternum straps down as much as possible too on the straps, this helped.

The whole suspension system is kind of funky, it seems that they made more work out of it then keeping it simple. I used it this past weekend on the AT from Pattision Road junction South to where Notch Road crosses it on it's way to Mount Greylock. The trail is mainly uphill, pretty steep in sections, especially in the winter, but the pack rode well for me, YMMV. I had about 20lbs in it roughly.

I'll be using it again this weekend for a few long day hikes...

KevBoy

chicote
03-02-2006, 16:02
Deb,
My wife is about 2 inches shorter than you and has the same pack. I'll have to ask her to load it up and see. I flipped the stay for her and she said it was comfortable. The sternum strap at first was at her neck but when she adjusted the shoulder straps (not the load adjusters at the top) everything seemed to fit nicely.

On my initial review it took some adjusting to get the pack from moving around too much. I am gonna try and spend some time with it this weekend and see if I can find more issues.

KevBoy thanks for the good response.

chicote
03-02-2006, 16:14
Deb,

One more thing if you haven't noticed already is that the torso length is adjustable. If you look the shoulder straps are attached by velcro to the pack, that adjustment might help as well.

Deb
03-02-2006, 19:00
I'm continuing to tinker with it. Thanks for your input, guys. Jury is still out on this pack.

neo
03-02-2006, 22:56
i really am looking forward to using it next week,i cant wait.:cool: neo

neo
03-03-2006, 09:36
this pack is small but i believe i can use it on a long distance hike if weather is not to cold,carry smaller bag and less clothes in warmer weather,next wensday i will go out for a couple days,i cant wait to use it,i paid 30.00 bucks for this pack

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47856709&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=PLATINUM/SAGE&img=/media/206561.jpg&view=large

by the time i used my annual rebate check and my member 20% discount
i paid 30.00 bucks for this sleeping bag,it cost 100.00 buck so i got 200.00
dollars worth of gear for 60.oo bucks not bad:cool: neo

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47985810&parent_category_rn=4500518&vcat=

Riddick
03-03-2006, 10:20
I received this pack 3/1 and happily spent an hour playing with it. By the end of an hour I was frustrated. I am not so keen on the suspension system, it just seems weird and unnecessarily complicated.

You know a pack is working for you when you just forget about it, like it's not even there...this pack keeps reminding me it's there.
No matter which way I turned the aluminum stay, it was uncomfortable.
I'm 5-2 and ordered a woman's small. It should have fit, maybe I'm just shaped funny.
Finally I discarded the stay and just rolled up my sleeping pad in the main compartment as a support. Better. Filled it with all my gear, 16 pounds, plenty of room.
I don't understand the adjustment straps on the top of the harness where they attach to the top of the pack. If they're not pulled tight, the pack sags away from your back. If they're pulled tight, the sternum strap is across your throat.
This was a problem with or without the stay.
The hip belt is awesome, but the shoulder straps are not as substantial as I'd like.
The pack is made to move with you, but even with a light load, there was lots of wobble.
Any other reservations people are having about this pack?

I ordered one of these for my wife and she had the same problem. The sternum strap was choking her terribly when I adjusted the load-lifters and the shoulder straps to correct position. It was very uncomfortable for her, so I took the pack off and thought about it for a bit while watching TV then it hit me to adjust the torso length longer to allow the sternum strap to come further down her chest. I adjusted it about 1-1.5" and it fit perfectly, she's very happy with it and says it's very comfortable. This was my first time even looking at a women's pack and there were a few differences but it works.

Good luck, I think you can get it to fit comfortably.

neo
03-03-2006, 10:24
I ordered one of these for my wife and she had the same problem. The sternum strap was choking her terribly when I adjusted the load-lifters and the shoulder straps to correct position. It was very uncomfortable for her, so I took the pack off and thought about it for a bit while watching TV then it hit me to adjust the torso length longer to allow the sternum strap to come further down her chest. I adjusted it about 1-1.5" and it fit perfectly, she's very happy with it and says it's very comfortable. This was my first time even looking at a women's pack and there were a few differences but it works.

Good luck, I think you can get it to fit comfortably.

i moved my sternum strap to lowest postion,i may removed it since i never use a sternum strap:cool: neo

TN_Hiker
03-03-2006, 11:58
did you notice that neat little whistle on the sternum strap buckle? Thought that was a great idea

MisterSweetie
03-03-2006, 17:02
did you notice that neat little whistle on the sternum strap buckle? Thought that was a great ideaI thought that was clever too. :) There are things on this pack that I don't even know what to do with. I expect what's being called the internal suspension is one main thing. Anyway, it's a nicely made pack. I have never used a toploading pack before, so that alone will cause some interesting things for me.

One more internal suspension question. This'll be a big ol stupid question, but won't surprise anyone who knows me... is there a one handed way to compress this? Or am I using it the right way and requiring both hands. Loosening is obvious... just pull the tab.

Is the pocked at the bottom of the main compartment of the bag intended as the place for the hydration bladder?

The pocket on the inside of the lid... what in the world to put in there? Really, seems that it'd be easier to just have full access given to the outside zipper, cut out one layer of cloth, and that'd be that. Anyway, what to store there?

The vertical zipper is a waterproof zipper. Is the bag as a whole generally waterproof? It feels like it would be... (Nevermind, just read the answer: Revolutionary lightweight nylon is infused with silicone for strength and water-resistance; tough double-ripstop nylon is used in high-wear areas.)

The two cords and thumblock things on the bottom, what are they for? Is that only so you can secure the handle end of an ice axe? Based on how often I use an ice axe (never) these seem a bit superfluous... What I'd like there is to be able to lash my z-rest or something. Any tips regarding that?

And the final question. In the main compartment, there are two little somewhat-pill shaped tabs that don't seem to connect to anything. They're about 4 inches above what I assume is the hydration pocket, and they're about 6 inches apart. What are they for?

Thanks! And thanks to the poster of this deal. I may never use it (I have bags I haven't), but I love new gear.

MisterSweetie
03-03-2006, 17:03
I meant to add, the zippered pocket on the hip belt is big enough for a slew of cameras. I know the coolpix 2100 would fit in there, and that's a satisfactory camera. I'm sure many many other models would too, and it'd be a great place for a camera!

QHShowoman
03-03-2006, 17:32
Is the pocked at the bottom of the main compartment of the bag intended as the place for the hydration bladder?

Yes. The sleeve on the inside of the main pocket is meant for your hydration bladder. The toggles will hold MSR-type bladders in place.

The pocket on the inside of the lid... what in the world to put in there? Really, seems that it'd be easier to just have full access given to the outside zipper, cut out one layer of cloth, and that'd be that. Anyway, what to store there?

I've seen the inside lid pocket referred to as a "stash" pocket -- a less obvious place to store small valuables to make them harder to find.

The two cords and thumblock things on the bottom, what are they for? Is that only so you can secure the handle end of an ice axe? Based on how often I use an ice axe (never) these seem a bit superfluous... What I'd like there is to be able to lash my z-rest or something. Any tips regarding that?

I recently learned from another forum that these loops are for ice axes -- slide the axe in handle first, then flip it up so the head is at the bottom, secure the handle to the daisy chains using the velcro straps provided.

I would replace those thin cords with stronger, thicker, longer lengths of shock cord. Or, use compression straps in conjuction with the existing cord loops for lashing.

And the final question. In the main compartment, there are two little somewhat-pill shaped tabs that don't seem to connect to anything. They're about 4 inches above what I assume is the hydration pocket, and they're about 6 inches apart. What are they for?

Some hydration bladders have eyelets (http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/media/710980.jpg) at the top that allow you to "button" them into the sleeve using the toggles provided.

MisterSweetie
03-03-2006, 18:51
Nice, thank you for great answers! Everything makes sense now!

neo
03-04-2006, 10:01
the pack is now back to 99.99 glad i got one when i did:cool: neo

neo
03-04-2006, 11:39
did you notice that neat little whistle on the sternum strap buckle? Thought that was a great idea

didnt notice till i seen this post thanks:cool: neo

QHShowoman
03-13-2006, 11:15
Sorry for the cross-post, but I really meant to post my review in this thread:

So, I tried my UL45 Women's pack out over the weekend. I loaded it up with about 30 pounds of food, gear, and water just for the test run. I reversed the stay (sticker on top, but at bottom of pack) to fit my back better and didn't have an issue with it poking into my lower back like others mentioned.

What was hard to get accustomed to was the swaying at the top of the pack. I don't know if I can load the pack or play with the suspension to help reduce it. Also, the shoulder straps seemed to be a little high up on me. I tried adjusting the torso in hopes of lowering the shoulder straps, but couldn't really find a happy medium. This didn't really cause me anything in the way of pain, but the strap buckles did rub into my sides a bit and the sternum strap was a bit higher up than I would like it to be. I wore the pack for about a 4-mile hike with lots of ups and downs and my back didn't bother me at all ... although my hamstrings are killing me!

neo
03-13-2006, 13:50
i used mine last week at savage gulf
http://www.backpackcamp.com/SavageGulf.html
its not a bad little pack at all,it was a great buy
for 30 bucks,i rate it as a good 2.5 season pack
good for 3 to 4 day trips between resupply,it has a lot
of really neat little features.:cool: neo

bigmac_in
04-05-2006, 19:57
I just got back from a day hike using this pack for the first time. I've got to say, I'd give it away right now.

I loaded up the pack with enough gear for 3 or 4 days so I could get feel whether to use it on my AT section hike in May. Took a 12 mile hike on the Knobstone trail in southern Indiana. This trail has some challenging climbs, so it was a great trial spot.

Here is the bad news - right now my shoulders hurt so bad, I can barely type this review. Apparently the shoulder strips just don't fit me correctly. I tried adjusting them several times, and was unable to relieve the pain. Keep in mind, I'm a fairly stocky guy, so they may fit a person with an average build a little better.

Bottom line is this - I probably won't us it again. The good news - I didn't pay much for it. My old pack will be glad to see me.....

Skidsteer
04-05-2006, 20:04
got to say, I'd give it away right now.

PM me if you need a ship-to address.:D

MacGyver2005
04-05-2006, 20:08
PM me if you need a ship-to address.:D

Ditto. I'll give it to the scout Troop.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

scothiker
06-19-2006, 17:44
Has anyone had success adding straps to the bottom of the pack? I took mine out for the first time for a 6-mile hike with about 20 lbs and it felt pretty good; but I need to lash things to the bottom. If you've figured out how to add straps and have a how-to (maybe even a picture?), please let me know. Also, how much weight would you feel OK lashing to the bottom?