PDA

View Full Version : What's the lighter way to carry Pringles?

Nodust
07-31-2018, 17:37
Carry the full size cardboard tube or the individual plastic containers?

The plastic containers are nice because as you eat them they stack well in a trash bag. Anyone ever weigh the containers. I'm not sure how many plastic containers would equal one big one.

grubbster
07-31-2018, 18:01
Well, from your screen name I assume you like to keep them intact. :D The original container would be my choice, however I am willing to let them get smashed some. You could keep some in your cook pot I guess.

Starchild
07-31-2018, 18:57
The plastic should be much lighter but that's not the only factor.

SWODaddy
07-31-2018, 19:04
Design a pack which uses Pringles cans as frame stays. Problem solved.

Nodust
07-31-2018, 19:26
Design a pack which uses Pringles cans as frame stays. Problem solved.

That’s innovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Venchka
07-31-2018, 20:05
I guess it didn’t occur to you to buy one package of each and do some comparison weighing?
Wayne

Nodust
07-31-2018, 21:02
I guess it didn’t occur to you to buy one package of each and do some comparison weighing?
Wayne

It had.

But I’m being lazy.

Also much more fun to talk about it a few days than just get to results.

Venchka
07-31-2018, 21:19
It’s even more fun if someone knows the answer and doesn’t share with you.
No. I’m not that guy.
Wayne

Nodust
07-31-2018, 21:22
It’s even more fun if someone knows the answer and doesn’t share with you.
No. I’m not that guy.
Wayne

I’ll have the answer soon. Going to store tomorrow.

DownYonder
07-31-2018, 21:57
Wonder if they can be used as a fire starter the way you can with Fritos.

Dogwood
07-31-2018, 23:19
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3607034/Once-pop-t-stop-Mesmerizing-video-shows-Pringles-potato-chips-made.html

I think I'd rather shoot myself than be the worker with the blue gloves doing a 9 hrs shift sorting out bad Pringleoids.

hipbone
08-01-2018, 06:18
I love Pringles on the trail! I stack as many as I can in my cook pot so they don't break (this is how I store any chips I take on the trail)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
08-01-2018, 08:18
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3607034/Once-pop-t-stop-Mesmerizing-video-shows-Pringles-potato-chips-made.html

I think I'd rather shoot myself than be the worker with the blue gloves doing a 9 hrs shift sorting out bad Pringleoids.

Article calls them chips......which they arent.
They had to quit using that term many yrs ago
Crisps =dried potato sludge and corn starch

Why anyone would pay for that is beyond me. Cause it stacks in tube apparently.

No wonder world is a mess

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 08:59

Of course Pringles are the reason! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, Pringles are the ideal "chip" for backpacking.
The small plastic cups are the way to go. It can be reused as a trickling water source scoop.
Stacking in the pot is a good idea too.
I can never eat just one at a time, usually 2-3 per handful!

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 09:02

I bet that worker would rather have that job than be homeless.

JC13
08-01-2018, 09:14
I dump them in a ziplock. They taste the same whole or in dusty pieces.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2018, 09:53
Keeping Pringles or corn chips or bean chips or whatever else "whole" is futile on a backpacking trip unless you want to keep pringles in their original can. No one would do this. I take out alot of such chips and always crush them small to get a full tube/bag into a ziploc quart bag. A whole pringles tube if crushed will fit in one quart ziploc (minus the packaging!).

Gambit McCrae
08-01-2018, 10:26
Keeping Pringles or corn chips or bean chips or whatever else "whole" is futile on a backpacking trip unless you want to keep pringles in their original can. No one would do this. I take out alot of such chips and always crush them small to get a full tube/bag into a ziploc quart bag. A whole pringles tube if crushed will fit in one quart ziploc (minus the packaging!).

Tipi beat me to it....crush em all up so your not disappointed when you pull them out to eat em, they will taste the same lol

Tipi Walter
08-01-2018, 10:31
Tipi beat me to it....crush em all up so your not disappointed when you pull them out to eat em, they will taste the same lol

Exactly. And they all are digested in the same way and end up in the same cathole.

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 11:12
Crumbs suck!
Its hard to eat crumbs with your fingers without making a huge mess. (spoon anyone?) (Or just stick your head in the ziplock and eat like a horse?)
There is quite a texture difference between eating chips and eating crumbs.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2018, 11:28
Crumbs suck!
Its hard to eat crumbs with your fingers without making a huge mess. (spoon anyone?) (Or just stick your head in the ziplock and eat like a horse?)

There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips. I use my long handled spoon to get the "crumbs".

But realistically speaking, smashed up chips in a ziploc usually stay about Quarter-coin size---no problemo.

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 11:37
There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips.

I'm not disagreeing with you...but texture is and always will be a component of a person's decision whether or not they like to eat something.
If you can stand the texture difference between chip crumbs and whole chips, good for you...I cannot!

Dogwood
08-01-2018, 12:10
...In all seriousness, Pringles are the ideal "chip" for backpacking.
The small plastic cups are the way to go. It can be reused as a trickling water source scoop.
Stacking in the pot is a good idea too.
I can never eat just one at a time, usually 2-3 per handful!

NOT on all counts. A flour slurry dough like substance of rice, GMO wheat, GMO corn, and potato flakes put through an extruder/stamper with exceptionally high(well above legal limits by 30 or more times) levels of carcinogenic acrylamide is far from ideal for backpacking or at any other time. Pringleoids contain so little actually potato they can't even legally be called potato chips. Might as well eat some mixed cheap highly refined highly processed flours with much of any real nutritional goodness that may have been present in the original unrefined grain removed. But dont forget to add the acrylamide to which Pringleoids, Fritosoieds, other "chips" - baked or fried, french fries, bakery products(donuts), coffee, and TOBACCO smoke are major culprits. One of the carcinogens the tobacco industry was found to be hiding the health risks of to the public was acrylamide. Mickey Dees received a bad rep for the acrylamide in their fries which were 300X the legal limit of this carcinogen.

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 12:45
NOT on all counts. A flour slurry dough like substance of rice, GMO wheat, GMO corn, and potato flakes put through an extruder/stamper with exceptionally high(well above legal limits by 30 or more times) levels of carcinogenic acrylamide is far from ideal for backpacking or at any other time. Pringleoids contain so little actually potato they can't even legally be called potato chips. Might as well eat some mixed cheap highly refined highly processed flours with much of any real nutritional goodness that may have been present in the original unrefined grain removed. But dont forget to add the acrylamide to which Pringleoids, Fritosoieds, other "chips" - baked or fried, french fries, bakery products(donuts), coffee, and TOBACCO smoke are major culprits. One of the carcinogens the tobacco industry was found to be hiding the health risks of to the public was acrylamide. Mickey Dees received a bad rep for the acrylamide in their fries which were 300X the legal limit of this carcinogen.

I choose to not care.

My favorite chips right now are Terra brand Mediterranean Garlic and Herbs. Had some on my last backpacking trip. Love the texture of the parsnips!

How much worse would world hunger be without GMO?

Odd Man Out
08-01-2018, 13:08
FWIW, the posted article is from the UK. What we call chips are what they call crisps. So if they call a Pringles a chip, then it isn't a chip.

trailmercury
08-01-2018, 13:16
sooo if they call Pringles chips, that makes it a French fry? What?

Odd Man Out
08-01-2018, 14:29

I would combine them with my crushed Pop Tarts, which also fail to remain intact.

Tipi Walter
08-01-2018, 14:50
I would combine them with my crushed Pop Tarts, which also fail to remain intact.

It's always fun trying to keep a tomato or a couple bananas intact the first couple days of a backpacking trip.

Nodust
08-01-2018, 16:37
There's no taste difference between tiny bits of chips and whole chips. I use my long handled spoon to get the "crumbs".

But realistically speaking, smashed up chips in a ziploc usually stay about Quarter-coin size---no problemo.
I agree, but sometimes I want to feel civilized
:)

MuddyWaters
08-01-2018, 16:57
Crumbs suck!
My fritos crumbs work great in my chili...actually break them up on purpose

D2maine
08-01-2018, 17:21
https://media0.giphy.com/media/YKLBb9U2Q03Ty/giphy.gif

D2maine
08-01-2018, 19:09
the only correct answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7XIUuj7ag

Dogwood
08-02-2018, 00:41
I choose to not care.

My favorite chips right now are Terra brand Mediterranean Garlic and Herbs. Had some on my last backpacking trip. Love the texture of the parsnips!

How much worse would world hunger be without GMO?
Common for Americans not caring about or unwilling to proactively address disease until it's visited individually upon their doorstep. It's the exact reason why I'll be responsible for my own healthcare costs and why I will NOT pay your healthcare costs through Gov't mandated socialized medicine. If you want to die "tastefully" don't expect me to pay for your suicide by food.

How much less would world hunger be if gluttonous mass consumptive cultures like the U.S. didn't waste 40% of it's food supply? Are you willing to consume less to a reasonable degree so others will not starve?
How much less would world hunger be if those who needed it the most, those truly starving, had it distributed to them from the more than necessary enough global food production that already exists?

Traveler
08-02-2018, 06:12
Good grief.....

Crushed Grapes
08-02-2018, 11:51
This thread took a turn...

Nodust
08-04-2018, 14:13
Here are the numbers, full size vs small cups.

Regular size weighs
7.3 oz full
1.6 oz empty
5.6 oz contents

Small plastic cups
1 oz full
.3 oz empty
.7 oz contents

8 small cups are needed for same amount of Pringles as one full size. One big container is 1.6 oz vs 2.4 oz of 8 plastic empty cups.

One regular container is as tall as 4.5 small cups. So 8 cups would be almost twice as big as one big cardboard container.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180804/50b18e6a90c65c6ea78b88e7c28eaf1b.jpg

So one big cardboard Pringles is lighter and smaller than equivalent of small individual plastic cups. Other than being able to stack when empty in a trash bag big cardboard is more efficient and also cheaper.

Traffic Jam
08-04-2018, 21:03
Thank you! That is excellent information. I always pack Fritos but might try switching to Pringles. The can would make a good trash container...dirty underwear holder...make-shift musical instrument(?)

Nodust
08-04-2018, 23:02
Thank you! That is excellent information. I always pack Fritos but might try switching to Pringles. The can would make a good trash container...dirty underwear holder...make-shift musical instrument(?)

Just doing what I can for the community.

Traffic Jam
08-05-2018, 19:32

I appreciate your contribution. It’s the most pertinent, hiking-related info that I’ve read in quite some time.
I have difficulty eating on multi-day hikes and find that potato chips are the most palatable item in my food bag.

After closely scrutinizing your data, I realize that for hikes less than 8 days, the plastic container is lighter in the long run, (assuming that the hiker consumes one, container-full per day.)

Traffic Jam
08-05-2018, 19:32

I appreciate your contribution. It’s the most pertinent, hiking-related info that I’ve read in quite some time.
I have difficulty eating on multi-day hikes and find that potato chips are the most palatable item in my food bag.

After closely scrutinizing your data, I realize that for hikes less than 8 days, the plastic container is lighter in the long run, (assuming that the hiker consumes one, container-full per day.)

Nodust
08-05-2018, 20:59
Your welcome.

Chips is also my go to on trail. Funny thing is I never eat chips not hiking. Funyuns with a hamburger a few times a year is about it.

RockDoc
09-07-2019, 13:10
Great stuff if you want to join the happy ranks of the deaf-blind.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-teen-went-blind-and-partially-deaf-after-only-eating-pringles-french-fries-and-white-bread-for-a-decade-2019-09-03

Teacher & Snacktime
09-07-2019, 16:29
The answer is obvious.....IN YOUR BELLY!! :D

Slo-go'en
09-07-2019, 19:12
Crushed up in a baggie and eat with a spoon?

camper10469
11-19-2020, 16:33
leave m in the tube.
they are so addicting whole. crumbs just arent the same unless you are making mashed potatoes with them as a side dish... yuck!

oh... the empty tubes make nice drums. good late night entertainment.

Odd Man Out
11-19-2020, 21:08
Article calls them chips......which they arent.
They had to quit using that term many yrs ago
Crisps =dried potato sludge and corn starch

Why anyone would pay for that is beyond me. Cause it stacks in tube apparently.

Except the article is from the UK, and in British English, chips are called crisps, so for them to call them crisps would be like us calling them chips, so by calling them chips they are not calling them chips. Seems clear to me.

Fëanor
11-20-2020, 16:03
is this a serious question? or is this a I'm board question? :datz

Deadeye
11-21-2020, 00:13
is this a serious question? or is this a I'm board question? :datz

Whether to call it a chip or a crisp, and how best to pack same was the most serious issue of the day. Until somebody who I won't name used board (a flat piece of wood) instead of bored (a state of ennui). Now we're going to have spelling issues, and that will prolly result in a riot.

JNI64
11-21-2020, 01:37
I'm sooooo board :datz !!

Deadeye
11-21-2020, 12:16
I'm sooooo board :datz !!

Why else would we be here talking about the proper way to handle one's potato-based snacks?

Fëanor
11-29-2020, 12:58
@Deadeye @JNI64 @Deadeye LMAO!!

how a legitimate question turns into a silly question all by a misspelling! LOL

....but seriously! :-? ...i wrap my Pringles in bubble wrap! :p

Slo-go'en
11-29-2020, 13:27
Poking through a pile of trail magic garbage just in case something was missed, the hiker I was with picked up a Pringles can and said "hey, I think there's something in here!"

Turns out it wasn't Potato chips or garbage, but a roll of Ritz Crackers! It was then we discovered that a Pringles tube was a good way to carry crackers without them becoming dust.

colorado_rob
11-29-2020, 13:30
Here are the numbers, full size vs small cups.

Regular size weighs
7.3 oz full
1.6 oz empty
5.6 oz contents

Small plastic cups
1 oz full
.3 oz empty
.7 oz contents

8 small cups are needed for same amount of Pringles as one full size. One big container is 1.6 oz vs 2.4 oz of 8 plastic empty cups.

One regular container is as tall as 4.5 small cups. So 8 cups would be almost twice as big as one big cardboard container.

So one big cardboard Pringles is lighter and smaller than equivalent of small individual plastic cups. Other than being able to stack when empty in a trash bag big cardboard is more efficient and also cheaper.
Thanks for the detailed analysis! I'm always a little disappointed when I carry one of those little packs, there's just not enough in each one for a decent salty/greasy snack.

On a related note, though we love trail-pringles, we have shifted to Frito-lay "stax" and like them even better; they are thicker and hold up much better and even taste better to us. We're fresh out or I'd check, but the container is thin plastic instead of lined cardboard, not sure what the weight difference would be, but next time we buy a sleeve, I'll check.