PDA

View Full Version : should I be wearing blaze orange anytime before a mid Oct finish?

LazyLightning
08-02-2018, 10:48
I plan on finishing my nobo thru early to mid October and I'm wondering if I should have my safety orange shirts anytime before then. It's actually not extra gear so that's not an issue, the polyester shirts I wear are made in safety orange to so I just swap them out. I only like to wear them when needed cause they are really bright and could be an eye sore for people I imagine, even me. It will be gloomy and cloudy and I'll keep thinking I see the sun coming out haha.

thestin
08-02-2018, 10:50
From the ATC https://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/a-t-hunting-seasons-table-2017-18-doc.pdf?sfvrsn=5ced8aa0_0

LazyLightning
08-02-2018, 11:19
thanks, looks like I should start wearing it by Sept

TJ aka Teej
08-02-2018, 11:25
Once you hit Maine, wear safety orange.

rickb
08-02-2018, 12:03
I am in no way suggesting that wearing blaze orange in Maine during Hunting season is not a good idea, but...

Just how common is for an AT Hiker to encounter hunters ON or NEAR THE AT in the state of Maine?

Starchild
08-02-2018, 12:28
I am in no way suggesting that wearing blaze orange in Maine during Hunting season is not a good idea, but...

Just how common is for an AT Hiker to encounter hunters ON or NEAR THE AT in the state of Maine?
And how many thru hikers are going to be wearing orange? Better to be safe then sorry but also the AT is pretty well known and also are thru hikers.

For me I have a bright orange hiking shirt I sport when hunting season comes around.

SoaknWet
08-02-2018, 14:54
Just use a little common sense and we'll never heard about you or get to criticize you for being stupid.

Five Tango
08-02-2018, 15:05
When I was a high school student someone at my school was shot dead on their own property by a poacher hunting deer.The deceased was about 14 and I do not know anything about the "hunter" other than to say he should not have been shooting at anything that moved.Yes,it happens that way sometimes.So I wear orange in deer season whenever I am in the woods anywhere.

DownYonder
08-02-2018, 15:21
I wear Marmot Windridge in bright red all year for both hiking and trail running. Poachers don't pay much attention to official "seasons".

rickb
08-02-2018, 19:14
Thirty five years after the fact I still needle my mother on occasion as to why she sent me the hand knit white hat (proudly shown in my profile photo) complete with white pom-pom on top.

But since it was all I had and I was not very smart back then ...

MuddyWaters
08-02-2018, 21:08
I wear an orange cap in fall

I hang blaze orange bandana across pack with safety pins. 1.00 at hobby lobby

fastfoxengineering
08-02-2018, 21:54
I'm also thru hiking and have been hearing gun fire close to the trail since GA.

Granted, most of these people are just target shooting safely and responsibly but accidents due happen.

Furthermore, its not just deer/bear season you need to be concerned about.

Small game starts in September. Shotguns and rimfires being the primary hunting weapon.

Not a bad idea to hang a blaze orange bandana on ones pack.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Heliotrope
08-02-2018, 21:57
I wear Marmot Windridge in bright red all year for both hiking and trail running. Poachers don't pay much attention to official "seasons".

Plus it’s very fashionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler
08-03-2018, 07:21
Over the years I have run into hunters, both legally engaged in the sport and those who were not, who were surprised to learn how close they were to the trail. Some of these folks knew there was a trail nearby but weren't sure exactly where it was, others didn't know there was a trail near them. Surprisingly some of them became a bit belligerent when informed there was. My guess is we do not see many hunters as a general rule during a hike, but we are probably seen by hunters far more often than we think.

It only takes one person who may be impaired or just careless to mistake the sound of two legs and trekking poles combined with a large, dark shape moving quickly in the woods as a four legged creature and fire the shot that hits you. Wearing orange starting in September is a good idea for protection against this circumstance.

MuddyWaters
08-03-2018, 09:04
Aint just a question of mistaken identity

You dont want a loaded rifle pointed at you even because owner thinks you might be animal, and looks in scope.

And always chance theres an animal between you and hunter, and your in background.

Be visible

It dont matter if you were in the right, when your dead. Its a courtesy to everyone

Malto
08-03-2018, 18:17
You should always wear blaze orange. It shows up better in pictures.

Tipi Walter
08-04-2018, 09:08

I do the same thing, both with my rain jacket and my hiking t-shirts---

Here's my Arcteryx jacket in action at the start of a winter trip. Highly visible and also highly useful.

When the jacket's not needed you can place it over your pack for visibility.

Another pic.

And a good backpacking t-shirt can also come in orange. Point is, there's no need to wear orange specific hunting gear when you can find suitable top quality backpacking gear . . . in orange.

OldWolfe
08-15-2018, 08:39
Yes. You should.

Francis Sawyer
09-21-2018, 12:35
The chances of getting shot are very slim. Most hunters are too drunk to hit anything at which they shoot.

grubbster
09-21-2018, 13:13
The chances of getting shot are very slim. Most hunters are too drunk to hit anything at which they shoot.
That's the problem. They may not be shooting at you.

RockDoc
09-21-2018, 14:05
My grandfather used to say that he only wore an orange bill hat, not an orange jacket or vest. His reasoning was "A small hat is a big enough target".

George
09-21-2018, 17:44
effective range of a 30-06 projectile is about 1 1/4 miles - so you can be shot by someone who never saw you and will never know

that being said the AT corridor is of coarse heavily wooded so travel / risk is highly reduced

the real question for wearing blaze orange is why not? no good reasons not to

I prefer an orange pack cover, that way it shows regardless of the temp/ conditions

reminds me to pull it out

Tipi Walter
09-21-2018, 17:48
I prefer an orange pack cover, that way it shows regardless of the temp/ conditions

reminds me to pull it out

Or make sure your pack is BRIGHT---

George
09-21-2018, 20:31
even if it was camo anyone would notice something that big

scope
09-21-2018, 20:39

Oh, so its like golf?

George
09-23-2018, 19:50
golf and shooting do have distance estimation in common

Venchka
09-23-2018, 20:15
A blaze orange hat should be sufficient. Maybe add an orange bandana tied to your pack.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=4125_546956_4155_4363790_7894950&grid=true&query=blaze+orange+ball+cap&typeahead=blaze+orange#searchProductResult

K.I.S.S.

Wayne

Hosh
09-23-2018, 20:24

You tell them Francis, nothing like a good stereotype verified with internet chatter.