PDA

View Full Version : inreach text messages

jefals
08-04-2018, 13:02
Just got a garmin mini and testing it. Sent a text message (thru the earthmate app). Looks like it took about 10 minutes for the recipient to get it. Is that normal?

jefals
08-04-2018, 13:15
once she got it, she sent me a reply. that was over 20 minutes ago, and I still haven't gotten it.

Hatchet_1697
08-04-2018, 13:29
That’s about normal, it’s not a high speed wireless network. It’s a low power, low data rate, RF transmission bouncing bits from your mini off a satellite to a ground terminal to the telecommunications backbone to the recipient. The slow part is the inReach to satellite hop, it’s just the state of that technology.

If you want fast add $$$$ and ###,s. The great part about the inReach is world-wide tracking, SOS, getting WX reports, and albeit slow, the 2-way comms. I like my full size one and the family appreciates knowing where in the world I’m bedding down for the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jefals
08-04-2018, 13:53
If you want fast add $$$$ and ###,s. The great part about the inReach is world-wide tracking, SOS, getting WX reports, and albeit slow, the 2-way comms. I like my full size one and the family appreciates knowing where in the world I’m bedding down for the night.

Thanks Hatchet. I noticed options where, for more $$$, I could get different levels of unlimited messaging. Didn't see anything where I could get faster speed. I'll check again...
What do you mean by...
"more ###"?
WX reports ?
I agree with the value of being able to communicate with family. I'm hoping that will ALWAYS be the only thing I use it for!

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 14:04
Thanks Hatchet. I noticed options where, for more $$$, I could get different levels of unlimited messaging. Didn't see anything where I could get faster speed. I'll check again...
What do you mean by...
"more ###"?
WX reports ?
I agree with the value of being able to communicate with family. I'm hoping that will ALWAYS be the only thing I use it for!

The faster speeds would be with the InReach...you're getting into the realms of Sat phones at that point.

WX...weather

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 14:04
*Wouldn't be with the InReach

Hatchet_1697
08-04-2018, 14:05
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, by $$$$ I meant buying a Satellite phone or portable satellite data terminal like the military uses :) — way out of my pice range! And ### = pounds, a sat phone and battery weighs more than the inReach. There is not an option to pay for faster data rates with the inReach types of receivers.

Hatchet_1697
08-04-2018, 14:06
On my inReach I can request a weather (WX) report for the cost of a message.

jefals
08-04-2018, 14:12
[QUOTE=jefals;2218143]
The faster speeds would be with the InReach...you're getting into the realms of Sat phones at that point.

WX...weather
Thanks, DuneElliot. This is an Inreach I'm talking about. For a while I was thinking it might be faster if I turned off the map - figuring that's a lot of data. But it doesn’t really transmit a map - just a link to a map, right?
Thanks for the clarification on the WX abbreviation... (WX = weather? - wonder how they came up with that one! :) )

jefals
08-04-2018, 14:16
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, by $$$$ I meant buying a Satellite phone or portable satellite data terminal like the military uses :) — way out of my pice range! And ### = pounds, a sat phone and battery weighs more than the inReach. There is not an option to pay for faster data rates with the inReach types of receivers.
Ok, thanks. Got it.
Yeah, I'm not buying any other gear either. And I bought the mini because of the weight - just 3.5 ozs. Amazing!

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 14:24
[QUOTE=DuneElliot;2218145]
Thanks, DuneElliot. This is an Inreach I'm talking about. For a while I was thinking it might be faster if I turned off the map - figuring that's a lot of data. But it doesn’t really transmit a map - just a link to a map, right?
Thanks for the clarification on the WX abbreviation... (WX = weather? - wonder how they came up with that one! :) )

Turned off the map? Not sure how you would do that...all data is installed on the device or your phone

jefals
08-04-2018, 14:32
Turned off the map? Not sure how you would do that...all data is installed on the device or your phone
You use the Earthmate app with the device, and the app gives you the ability to include a map (or not) with your message.

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 15:51
You use the Earthmate app with the device, and the app gives you the ability to include a map (or not) with your message.

It's not a map, it sends a set of co-ordinates with your text message and a link to a map so that the receiver can go to the website to see where you are. I have it set to "On" for all my messages.

jefals
08-04-2018, 16:18
It's not a map, it sends a set of co-ordinates with your text message and a link to a map so that the receiver can go to the website to see where you are. I have it set to "On" for all my messages.
Yes, I did find out about the link rather than an actual map. Didn't know about the co-ordinates, tho. Thanks.
One person told me it was slow for her to pull up the map, but I tried with a different person who did not have a problem with it,

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 16:47
Yes, I did find out about the link rather than an actual map. Didn't know about the co-ordinates, tho. Thanks.
One person told me it was slow for her to pull up the map, but I tried with a different person who did not have a problem with it,

If it's slow for them to pull up the map from the link that gets attached to the outgoing message (which is actually attached from their server not the InReach) then it's an issue with her connection or the Garmin website...nothing to do with your Inreach. Garmin's site has been very slow and problematic recently...took my three days to finally change my subscription because it was so slow and wasn't connecting properly.

jefals
08-04-2018, 16:56
Garmin's site has been very slow and problematic recently...took my three days to finally change my subscription because it was so slow and wasn't connecting properly.
Interesting. ..thanks

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 17:03
Interesting. ..thanks
It's just been a recent thing I believe. My family didn't mention any issues about the map from last week when I was backpacking solo. I've never had a problem before either...just seems to be this week, so far

ADK Walker
08-04-2018, 19:13
Used my inReach this past week and it worked well. Set your check for message interval to constant if you want to get faster comms. It will also drain your battery faster so use it when needed.

jefals
08-04-2018, 19:34
Used my inReach this past week and it worked well. Set your check for message interval to constant if you want to get faster comms. It will also drain your battery faster so use it when needed.
I was planning to just keep the thing turned off till I wanted to send a message. Save the battery that way. But that brings up a question: Suppose somebody sends me a message while I've got it turned off. Say I turn it on 2 hours after someone has sent me a message (or, more accurately, 2 hours after someone has replied to a message I had sent to them ). That message from them should show up as soon as I turn it on, shouldn't it?

DuneElliot
08-04-2018, 19:41
I was planning to just keep the thing turned off till I wanted to send a message. Save the battery that way. But that brings up a question: Suppose somebody sends me a message while I've got it turned off. Say I turn it on 2 hours after someone has sent me a message (or, more accurately, 2 hours after someone has replied to a message I had sent to them ). That message from them should show up as soon as I turn it on, shouldn't it?

Depends on your settings but I think they check for messages upon Power Up. You can always go into your mail box as soon as you turn it on an have it check.

rhjanes
08-04-2018, 20:12
What I do is set the tracking to like 2 hours. So it doesn't use all that much battery. When I get up at a camp site, I power it up, get the food bag, water a tree....normal stuff. When I am doing final pack up I send the auto message "starting here", clip it to the pack and take off. When I stop to camp, I set it on a rock and send the preset text of "stopping here". If wife wants to reply, she will. I check it and power it back down around an hour later or when I turn in. The battery last a week or more doing that. I carry a battery back up so can recharge out in the woods. It I use my smart phone to run a GPS, THAT eats up most of the power and needs recharged everyday.

jefals
08-04-2018, 21:17
What I do is set the tracking to like 2 hours. So it doesn't use all that much battery. When I get up at a camp site, I power it up, get the food bag, water a tree....normal stuff. When I am doing final pack up I send the auto message "starting here", clip it to the pack and take off. When I stop to camp, I set it on a rock and send the preset text of "stopping here". If wife wants to reply, she will. I check it and power it back down around an hour later or when I turn in. The battery last a week or more doing that. I carry a battery back up so can recharge out in the woods. It I use my smart phone to run a GPS, THAT eats up most of the power and needs recharged everyday.
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Thanks!

ADK Walker
08-04-2018, 21:26

I think it should. You should see icon flash if the device is sending/looking for messages. If I'm expecting a message I will shorten the time period between checking for messages (unless I'm using the "check continually" mode) and then set the message receive alarm to beep constantly until I pick up the device and open the messages.
This keeps me from looking at the device every 2 minutes.

Also: Be sure to send a Test message before each outing. It should confirm that your device is working.

jefals
08-04-2018, 21:50
[QUOTE=jefals;2218180]
I think it should. You should see icon flash if the device is sending/looking for messages. If I'm expecting a message I will shorten the time period between checking for messages (unless I'm using the "check continually" mode) and then set the message receive alarm to beep constantly until I pick up the device and open the messages.
This keeps me from looking at the device every 2 minutes.

Also: Be sure to send a Test message before each outing. It should confirm that your device is working.
Ok, thanks. Especially during the day, I'm planning to keep the garmin "binered" to my shoulder strap. I haven't tried that yet; hopefully I'll be able to reach the on-off button. So if I want to send a message, or check for incoming message, I'll turn it on, and do my messaging via the cell phone app.
Then just turn it back off.

Shutterbug
08-04-2018, 21:57
I have used the inReach since they first came out. Sometimes it takes longer than other times depending on the position of the satellites. Sometimes it is almost instantaneous. Other times it can take 15 minutes or more.

jefals
08-04-2018, 22:04
I have used the inReach since they first came out. Sometimes it takes longer than other times depending on the position of the satellites. Sometimes it is almost instantaneous. Other times it can take 15 minutes or more.
I noticed that this morning. I sent a message, and she replied. After 18 or 19 minutes, I asked her to reply again. I almost immediately got them both. One she sent 20 minutes earlier and the one she had just sent.

jefals
08-04-2018, 22:06
just thought of something else; what about when you push the SOS button. Is the communication with rescue folks going to be faster?

Hatchet_1697
08-04-2018, 22:35
The inReach uses the Iridium satellite constellation (66 of them) for messages. The satellites are over 450 miles up moving at 16,000+ mph. If one is passing directly above you messaging is fairly fast, if it’s offset from your position by a few hundred miles it takes longer. For any messages (routine or SOS).

Here’s a good review on the mini, lots of good info.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/garmin-inreach-mini-satellite-tracker-in-depth-review.html

jefals
08-04-2018, 23:20
The inReach uses the Iridium satellite constellation (66 of them) for messages. The satellites are over 450 miles up moving at 16,000+ mph. If one is passing directly above you messaging is fairly fast, if it’s offset from your position by a few hundred miles it takes longer. For any messages (routine or SOS).

Here’s a good review on the mini, lots of good info.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/garmin-inreach-mini-satellite-tracker-in-depth-review.html

Great info. Thanks Hatchet. I think I get that one thing that slows down the messages is that the unit only checks for messages every 10 minutes, altho you can change this. So, if someone sends you a message one minute after the last check, there's automatically going to be a 9 minute delay, just because of that.

FreeGoldRush
08-04-2018, 23:30
Just got a garmin mini and testing it. Sent a text message (thru the earthmate app). Looks like it took about 10 minutes for the recipient to get it. Is that normal?

I used mine daily on the Sheltowee Trace Trail this summer. It took 1 minute to 6 hours, just depends. Called support last week. They said to set the device back to factory settings and then re-sync. They agreed it was a problem. Did not know why. Did not know why a re-sync should fix it.

I keep the device positioned exactly as required with a clear view of the sky. Makes no difference on send times. The problem is present whether hiking or with it setup at camp.

jefals
08-05-2018, 00:48

I used mine daily on the Sheltowee Trace Trail this summer. It took 1 minute to 6 hours, just depends. Called support last week. They said to set the device back to factory settings and then re-sync. They agreed it was a problem. Did not know why. Did not know why a re-sync should fix it.

I keep the device positioned exactly as required with a clear view of the sky. Makes no difference on send times. The problem is present whether hiking or with it setup at camp.
Did it get better after you did that?

I recall seeing something about syncing it, and there were two ways to do it. One involved removing the battery - but I have no idea how to do that.
The other was a lot easier and you did it with the earthmate app.
I wasn't 100% sure that you could use either of these two methods to accomplish the same thing. I hope so. Also, not exactly sure what exactly I'm syncing the device with.

FreeGoldRush
08-05-2018, 02:27
Did it get better after you did that?

I recall seeing something about syncing it, and there were two ways to do it. One involved removing the battery - but I have no idea how to do that.
The other was a lot easier and you did it with the earthmate app.
I wasn't 100% sure that you could use either of these two methods to accomplish the same thing. I hope so. Also, not exactly sure what exactly I'm syncing the device with.
It will be a few weeks before I can test it on the trail again. If it is a known issue they should be fixing it with a firmware update if possible. At the very least their tech. support people should have an understanding of the problem and an understanding of why a re-sync fixes it. So I'm a bit disappointed. If the re-sync fixes it then how often must that procedure be done? How does one do that out on the trial for an expenteded period of time? btw, Mine is not the mini. It is the InReach SE.