PDA

View Full Version : Idahoan Mashed Potatoes

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 12:03
I know these are a great trail meal. I usually do FB meals with Ramen (plus seasoning but not the stuff in the packets). Do I need to transfer the potatoes to a freezer bag or does the bag they come in hold up well to having boiling water poured in? Trying to get ready for my next trip.

I may have to go the FB route anyway as I have a feeling that the 4oz (4 cups seriving) will be too much to eat in one sitting, but it would still be useful information if someone has any first-hand experience with putting water directly in the bag.

DownYonder
08-05-2018, 12:54
I made a couple of the 12" x 12" ovens out of a windshield heat reflector. Pour the potatoes into a freezer bag, add boiling water, zip the freezer bag and close the flap. Let it sit for xx minutes and they are done. I'm still playing with the amount of water. I add the amount on the directions and that seems to be too much. I think that when you do it on a stove top some of the water evaporates but the freezer bag captures all of it. Just needs fine tuning.

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 12:56
So you recommend switching out packaging and NOT using the bag the potatoes come in for FB cooking?

Puddlefish
08-05-2018, 13:02
I transferred to a freezer bag for portion control. I kind of vaguely remember trying the packaging bag and they had too much volume when water was added to a full package. I had to keep adding more water as I got deeper into the package. I'm fairly sure the bags handled the boiling water just fine however.

My memory sucks, but someone will be frothing to correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to spoil their fun.

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 13:15
I transferred to a freezer bag for portion control. I kind of vaguely remember trying the packaging bag and they had too much volume when water was added to a full package. I had to keep adding more water as I got deeper into the package. I'm fairly sure the bags handled the boiling water just fine however.

My memory sucks, but someone will be frothing to correct me if I'm wrong. I wouldn't want to spoil their fun.

Good to know...more about volume than the bag holding up. That makes sense actually now I'm thinking about it...usually quite a lot in a bowl

DownYonder
08-05-2018, 13:18
So you recommend switching out packaging and NOT using the bag the potatoes come in for FB cooking?

Haven't tried it in the original bag. No specific reason.

DownYonder
08-05-2018, 13:26
@DuneElliot What have you found works the best? For me, rice is always under cooked, noodles are pretty good and mashed potatoes work the best. What have you had luck with and are you using an oven pouch?

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 13:30
@DuneElliot What have you found works the best? For me, rice is always under cooked, noodles are pretty good and mashed potatoes work the best. What have you had luck with and are you using an oven pouch?
I usually mix ramen or minutes rice in with different seasonings in freezer bags and stuff them in my pot cozy. I have good luck with those. I like Idahoan potatoes...I think for portions and for volume control I'm going to transfer them to freezer bags.

u.w.
08-05-2018, 14:50
I cold soak them (instant potatoes, couscous, and/or ramen) in a FB. I try to pour, mix and drink up as much as I can before they get thick enough to require a spoon. Then I'll add a bit more water, swish, and drink the rest. For me - that works well and is quick, easy, and simple. I used to add the cold water to the mix in the FB and hike on, to eat it later, but have gotten away from that. Just using the bag they come in might be even simpler though? Though you wouldn't be able to add water and hike on to eat later, if just using the bag they come in - I do not think they are resealable.

Why not just make a quick run to the store and buy a bag and try it. Bag is what? buck and a quarter or so? See what works best for you before you head out.

u.w.

Just Tom
08-05-2018, 15:57
You can cook them in the pouch they come in, it does work. But it is difficult due to size and shape, just not a lot of extra room for stirring or mistakes. I transfer to make it easier, especially since I like to add extra stuff in mine.

Just Tom
08-05-2018, 15:57
You can cook them in the pouch they come in, it does work. But it is difficult due to size and shape, just not a lot of extra room for stirring or mistakes. I transfer to make it easier, especially since I like to add extra stuff in mine.
To be really clear, it does work to pour the post-boiling water in and stir. But it aint easy.

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 16:15
Thanks. That was what I was thinking after some of the responses.

illabelle
08-05-2018, 18:11
To be really clear, it does work to pour the post-boiling water in and stir. But it aint easy.
I like mashed potatoes, but I can't eat a whole pouch in one meal. Also, I've always found they can absorb a lot more water than I expect. I don't think all that water will fit in the bag. And for sure, without a reclosable seal, mixing would be near impossible. For these two reason, plus the fact that I'm sharing them with my husband, I would never have a need to add water to the pouch.

Earlier someone mentioned letting them sit a bit to cook. That's not really necessary. They're ready to eat when they've absorbed the liquid - within several seconds. So you could use a freezer-bag, or a bowl. Doesn't matter.

Slo-go'en
08-05-2018, 20:51
As soon as you add hot water, instant mashed potatos instantly becomes potatos. It doesn't have to "cook". I simply heat a cup of water in a pot, then mix in the potato powder until I get the consistancy I want. Be careful though, a little too much and it doesn't all fully rehydrate, not quite enough it's watery.

lonehiker
08-05-2018, 21:36
I like mashed potatoes, but I can't eat a whole pouch in one meal. Also, I've always found they can absorb a lot more water than I expect. I don't think all that water will fit in the bag. And for sure, without a reclosable seal, mixing would be near impossible. For these two reason, plus the fact that I'm sharing them with my husband, I would never have a need to add water to the pouch.

Earlier someone mentioned letting them sit a bit to cook. That's not really necessary. They're ready to eat when they've absorbed the liquid - within several seconds. So you could use a freezer-bag, or a bowl. Doesn't matter.

I eat these with just plain cold water added to the pouch. It takes a while but you can get enough water in to thoroughly get them all hydrated. I usually add water 3 times until I get them mixed to the consistency that I like. I cut up a packet of spam to add to them as well.

RangerZ
08-05-2018, 21:49
I like the Idahoan butter mashed potatoes. I put them into freezer bags for portion control. I’ve mixed in some dried onions, spam or pepperoni slices. I carry pepper to add to them. You have to be careful with the water so you don’t end up with potato soup.

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 22:01
Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.

MuddyWaters
08-05-2018, 22:13
I hope no one making you to eat whole thing.

Put what want to eat n ziplock, add water. Eat rest another day.

With any dinner....you can always .cook only part. If you want more....cook more.
But its hard to get rid of extra cooked food responsibly you dont want to eat.

Ive scattered it over long distances a few times. I prefer not to.

DuneElliot
08-05-2018, 22:22
I hope no one making you to eat whole thing.

Put what want to eat n ziplock, add water. Eat rest another day.

With any dinner....you can always .cook only part. If you want more....cook more.
But its hard to get rid of extra cooked food responsibly you dont want to eat.

Ive scattered it over long distances a few times. I prefer not to.

I'm going to test it out on this trip. The smaller bags are 2 cups so I can probably eat most of one of those...might be a little leftover.

lonehiker
08-06-2018, 00:10
Cold mashed potatoes just doesn't sound appetizing...just like the idea of drinking the "dish cleaning" water when cleaning a pot.

I thought the same but by cutting up the spam into small chunks, I get a bit a spam with each bite and they make the cold potatoes quite palatable.

zelph
08-06-2018, 10:11

You mean Shugs' method is not appetizing. I recommend we all try it and report back.:D Add a small amount of maple syrup to the water and it will go down a lot easier. Helps keep us hydrated and no wasted water ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwLQcqukSug

OCDave
08-06-2018, 10:22
... but it would still be useful information if someone has any first-hand experience with putting water directly in the bag.

It would cost you $1.50 to try this at home prior to hitting the trail. Let us know how it goes.

DuneElliot
08-06-2018, 10:46
You mean Shugs' method is not appetizing. I recommend we all try it and report back.:D Add a small amount of maple syrup to the water and it will go down a lot easier. Helps keep us hydrated and no wasted water ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwLQcqukSug

Just makes my stomach turn thinking about it...I think a lot of it has to do with my first job as a dishwasher at an old folks home...cleaning plates of cold congealed goo. Bleugh

It would cost you $1.50 to try this at home prior to hitting the trail. Let us know how it goes.

I'm currently on an extremely tight budget. I know $1.50 isn't much but when you're moving overseas in less than 2 months and barely have $500 to get through that time...I can't spare the extra, hence the question here. I'm just going to go the FB route since I already have some...portion control and all.

trailmercury
08-06-2018, 10:49

1.50 is actually a high estimate, she may get by for less, a 10 pack at WM is 8.80

Tipi Walter
08-06-2018, 10:56

The worst backpacking meal I ever fixed and tried to eat was instant mashed potatoes with brown sugar---on my last day of a 21 day trip and was running out of food. Couldn't eat it and nor could my dog.

DuneElliot
08-06-2018, 11:18
1.50 is actually a high estimate, she may get by for less, a 10 pack at WM is 8.80

I have a couple of packets to take, but I know they aren't expensive.

Pondjumpr
08-06-2018, 15:42
When I got back into backpacking and started trying to come up with meal plans, I watched a lot of YouTube videos and many had Instant Mashed potatoes in addition to Knorr sides, rice, ramen, etc. I made it a goal to try each style food (maybe not each flavor) at home for lunch or dinner to see if I could replicate trail preparation. Every option I tried worked out fine, even with added ingredients, meats,etc. EXCEPT instant potatoes. It may be POSSIBLE but I tried twice to pour water into the commercial packaging and it soaked up the top half and the bottom half never got water. it was really tough to get water to the bottom part of the package. I realized there would be no good way to do this trail side in the pouch.
I am sure you could make it in a pot, or in a separate bag but the sheer volume in the package was almost impossible for me to make. YMMV but definitely try it before you get on the trail.

Puddlefish
08-06-2018, 16:31
The worst backpacking meal I ever fixed and tried to eat was instant mashed potatoes with brown sugar---on my last day of a 21 day trip and was running out of food. Couldn't eat it and nor could my dog.

Watched a guy tip out some mashed potatoes onto a stone for another guys dog. Dog didn't want them. The potato tipping guy didn't clean them up, the dog owner didn't clean them up. They were still there by the campfire when I woke the next morning. The mouse and other wildlife didn't want them either. They're probably still there.

It made me a bit nervous that one of the staples of my hiking diet wouldn't even be touched by a starving dog and various shelter vermin.

HenhawkHenry
08-17-2018, 07:00
"It made me a bit nervous that one of the staples of my hiking diet wouldn't even be touched by a starving dog and various shelter vermin."

Now, now, let us keep a positive vibe when it comes to our hiking diet. The shelter vermins may not like it, but we do. :D

Venchka
08-17-2018, 12:31
Pallets vary. Items mentioned frequently online that comprise 99% of all backpacker's diets that I refuse to touch:
Knorr Sides.
Foil Packed Tuna.
I'm not optimistic, but I will sample the new Foil Packed Chicken.
I eat Idahoan Potatoes occasionally at home. I haven't seen the need to include them in my food bag yet. Call them "On the fence."
Mrs. Wayne picked up a Backpacker's Pantry Chicken Picatta at the Santa Fe REI last spring. STELLAR!!!!!!!!!!!! My first meal from the brand. I will try more.
With the demise of MH single serving meals, I will be repackaging for myself. It's always something.
To each his/her own!
Wayne

Old Grouse
08-17-2018, 14:59
My dog likes the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. Chacun a son gout, I guess.

SoaknWet
08-17-2018, 15:31
Question for post #30. Is that why I'm having a hard time finding the MH singles?

daddytwosticks
08-17-2018, 15:59
Question for post #30. Is that why I'm having a hard time finding the MH singles?

Walmart used to have the single serving MH meals. Loved the convenience. No more. :(

Venchka
08-17-2018, 16:01
Yep! I wasn’t paying attention. They disappeared from Walmart last winter or early spring.
Searched Mountain House web site. Gone!
At that time, Good-To-Go was still offering single serving meals. I haven’t checked since April or May.
We don’t all hike in a group. Or hike with someone who shares our tastes.
Bummer.
Wayne

Five Tango
08-19-2018, 19:26
You can always put your hot water in the FB first and then add the potatoes until you reach the desired consistency you want.You may or may not have some potatoes left over but if you do they will be dry and ready to hold over for another meal.If the meal is too dry you can add either hot or cold water to get the consistency you want.My challenge is always not having "dry spots" in the bag where the water did not mix well.

nsherry61
08-19-2018, 20:00
Something else to keep in mind when preparing instant potatoes, is the same thing to remember when preparing instant oatmeal or instant hot chocolate, etc. You only have to add water hot enough to satisfy your palate which is generally much cooler than boiling. Then it is easier to hold in your hand, it is less likely to damage or weaken your plastic bag or other container you use and it uses less fuel. Boiling water actually sucks for reconstituting mashed potatoes, oatmeal, or powdered drinks unless you like to eat/drink your food at such scalding temperatures.