PDA

View Full Version : Late September TRT clothing...take or leave??

saltysack
08-08-2018, 15:35
-running shorts with ss button up shirt(hiking)

-UA compression boxers

-2 pair of socks for sleep and hiking will wash and rotate.

-OR helium 2 rain/wind parka (6oz)

-dance pants for wind/rain (3oz)

-cap 3 leggings(sleep)

-liner gloves

-melly micro grid hoody(12oz) AND/OR montbel UL down anorak(6oz)

-hammock w 20* TQ and UQ

Only pieces I知 uncertain of is the mid layer as the melly seems more versatile as can wear while hiking and sleep but heavier and not likely as warm. Doubtful I値l need the melly under the down anorak but was glad I had my cap 4 hoody on a late sept JMT home a few years back even in a 15* bag....thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-08-2018, 15:37
-running shorts with ss button up shirt(hiking)

-UA compression boxers

-2 pair of socks for sleep and hiking will wash and rotate.

-OR helium 2 rain/wind parka (6oz)

-dance pants for wind/rain (3oz)

-cap 3 leggings(sleep)

-liner gloves

-melly micro grid hoody(12oz) AND/OR montbel UL down anorak(6oz)

-hammock w 20* TQ and UQ

Only pieces I知 uncertain of is the mid layer as the melly seems more versatile as can wear while hiking and sleep but heavier and not likely as warm. Doubtful I値l need the melly under the down anorak but was glad I had my cap 4 hoody on a late sept JMT home a few years back even in a 15* bag....thoughts

The cap 4 was worn under a UL down parka on JMT....

Miner
08-08-2018, 16:23
What I normally take into the Sierra that time of year is:

Long pants and sleeves for hiking (sleeves can be rolled up). It won't be that hot then. Shorts might work for a short period of the day, but for me, not enough to justify them.
Lightweight thermals for sleeping and early morning hiking. And evening if you hike late.
Rain jacket (use the same jacket as you) and lightweight rain pants or full length rain skirt.
Montbell plasma 1000 down jacket. Don't like hoodys because you can't wear the hood without jacket. I often wear my warm hat in the mornings when it's too hot to hike in the jacket.
MLD rain mitts. Provide good warmth for the 1oz weight and keep your hands dry in snow or during a thunderstorm. Wet glove liners and strong cold winds don't work well.
Hat for sun as you'll often be in direct sunlight.
Lightweight balaclava as a warm hat. They can be worn in a variety of ways depending on how much warmth you need. And as a quilt user instead of a mummy bag, being able to pull it all of the way down is a great bonus.

Nothing you are suggesting won't work if you are familiar with their performance.

saltysack
08-08-2018, 16:31
What I normally take into the Sierra thatst time of year is:

Long pants and sleeves for hiking (sleeves can be rolled up). It won't be that hot then. Shorts might work for a short period of the day, but for me, not enough to justify them.
Lightweight thermals for sleeping and early morning hiking. And evening if you hike late.
Rain jacket (use the same jacket as you) and lightweight rain pants or full length rain skirt.
Montbell plasma 1000 down jacket. Don't like hoodys because you can't wear the hood without jacket. I often wear my warm hat in the mornings when it's too hot to hike in the jacket.
MLD rain mitts. Provide good warmth for the 1oz weight and keep your hands dry in snow or during a thunderstorm. Wet glove liners and strong cold winds don't work well.
Lightweight balaclava as a warm hat. They can be worn in a variety of ways depending on how much warmth you need. And as a quilt user instead of a mummy bag, being able to pull it all of the way down is a great bonus.

I値l have a trucker hat and a bandanna if needed for neck sun protection and bathing. Your list is similar accept the melly is obviously heavier than the light weight thermals...I thought about LS shirt but prefer jogging shorts down to about 40* then I can pull my wind pants over top if need. Thx...

saltysack
08-08-2018, 16:42
What I normally take into the Sierra that time of year is:

Nothing you are suggesting won't work if you are familiar with their performance.

What temps would you expect to see. I assume it痴 similar to what I had on JMT but being lower elevations wouldn稚 be as cold.

Miner
08-08-2018, 20:58
Depends on the weather. You'll likely have at least a few nights below freezing, with upper 30's into the 40's for the rest; more likely to be colder the later in the month it is. If you get a snow storm, you could drop into high teens. Days should have a high into the upper 50's and 60's, unless you get a snow storm, then see the low above. Mt Rose on the NE corner is at 10,000 ft which is your high point. The rest is lower than the JMT as you noted, but I'm assuming you hiked the JMT earlier in the year than this hike. For my trips this time of the year, I always plan for a hiking low in the 20's and a sleeping low in the teens. It doesn't happen often, but at least I don't have to worry when it does. I don't mean you have to be comfortable at those temperatures, just good enough you don't have to bail on your hike.