PDA

View Full Version : Water sources?

SGT Rock
02-09-2003, 19:21
Steve hiker reccomended starting a sub forum on water sources. I think that would go best here. He reccomended 4 to keep it to 4 regions instead of listing every state, that way anyone out there could update water sources and their quality as they see them while out there. I like the idea, I just think this would be the place.

Any comments before I add it in?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2003, 19:39
Since 99.9% of hikers filter or treat water on the AT there is no need for such a forum on water quality. There's PLENTY of water from Georgia to Maine to treat even in dry times.

SGT Rock
02-09-2003, 20:04
I think the idea was more on what is dried up and what ain't

steve hiker
02-09-2003, 20:13
Yes my idea is where to find water, mainly away from the shelters during dry times. The AT Shelters thread covers water at the shelters pretty good, but not on the trail. I've read several thru-hiker journals where hikers haven't been able to find water in late summer and fall especially in NY/NJ/PA area.

The guidebooks list some water sources but these are not always up to date. And it's hard to know where to look if you haven't been on a particular stretch of trail before.

Papa Bear
02-09-2003, 21:04
Low or dry springs were also a problem in Maine last September. We pumped from a spring near Carlo Col shelter that was a mud hole hardly a foot in diameter.

Many other shelters at higher elevations (Bemis Mt. comes to mind ) were dry. We had to carefully watch the entries in the registers posted by SOBOs.

Pb

Virginian
02-09-2003, 22:40
Keep your eyes open, and look at the water on the maps if you carry them. Carry extra when you think you will run short. Also drink a qt before you leave a source. Pa. had people who would leave gallon jugs full last year. I cut it close 3 or 4 times