PDA

View Full Version : Taking New Hikers to AT

sadlowskiadam
08-11-2018, 14:09
I am taking a few friends for a week long hike on the AT. We have not decided on a location, but I would like to take them to a stretch of trail that has a variety of AT elements (not just green tunnel). I want to give them some great views, balds, and terrain. Given our travel restrictions, we will need to hike a portion of the AT between North Carolina to Pennsylvania. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

DownYonder
08-11-2018, 14:35
If you can venture into NC, I would suggest Max Patch or the bolds around the Roan Mtn area. In VA....Mt Rogers - Grayson Highlands.

C4web88
08-11-2018, 14:47
I am taking a few friends for a week long hike on the AT. We have not decided on a location, but I would like to take them to a stretch of trail that has a variety of AT elements (not just green tunnel). I want to give them some great views, balds, and terrain. Given our travel restrictions, we will need to hike a portion of the AT between North Carolina to Pennsylvania. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Maybe the "Triple Crown" in VA. Dragon's tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs section. My newer backpacking friends had a blast. Has some pretty tame scrambling, great 360 views, some fields with cows, and plenty of great campsites along that section. On the downside it can get a bit busy.

illabelle
08-11-2018, 21:35
If you can venture into NC, I would suggest Max Patch or the bolds around the Roan Mtn area. In VA....Mt Rogers - Grayson Highlands.
These are really good suggestions. You didn't say when the trip is planned, but unless it's winter, they're still good choices.

MuddyWaters
08-12-2018, 09:50
When matters

sadlowskiadam
08-12-2018, 11:48
These are really good suggestions. You didn't say when the trip is planned, but unless it's winter, they're still good choices.
We are looking at the first week of October

DownYonder
08-12-2018, 12:30
We are looking at the first week of October

Mid-October should be peak for fall foliage, so you will get plenty of color the 1st week at Roan Mtn or Grayson Highlands areas. Weather can be all over the place....warm & wet to cool, crisp & clear. Temps average 68H/38L.

Dogwood
08-12-2018, 14:40
Dont stay at AT shelters every night. Find CS's away from the shelters with maybe camping in or at the shelters one or two nights.