PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Vs. Flashlight

Jones134679
02-18-2006, 01:23
I was wanting some input on what you would think is better for a long distance hike??

mbroadhe
02-18-2006, 01:28
Headlamp. It leaves the hands empty to attend to other functions.

Pacific Tortuga
02-18-2006, 01:54
Headlamps can be used as flash lights pretty easy but you need a hat,duct tape or bandanna to help make a fash light a headlamp. :-?

Heater
02-18-2006, 07:44
I was wanting some input on what you would think is better for a long distance hike??

I got a cheapo headlamp that I use now. Like the othe poster said, it frees up both hands and I am very glad to have it. I use it a LOT when cooking at night BBQing which is my other hobby and it keeps me up all night sometimes. It is VERY handy when you have to set up your tent quickly at night. I wouldn't think of going out on a hike without it.

I will soon be upgradng to the new Petzl Tikka XP.

neo
02-18-2006, 09:36
led head lamps are great,i even use mine at night when i have to work on my jeep or my wifes jeep,i love my tikka plus:cool: neo

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 10:03
I think headlamps are the trail standard these days for the practical reasons mentioned previously. Neo uses a headlamp because it keeps the lamp off the ground, hammock style. :cool:

Footslogger
02-18-2006, 12:36
Pretty hard to answer nature's call a o-dark hundred holding a flashlight.

'Slogger

TN_Hiker
02-18-2006, 12:55
Without a doubt...headlamp for the various reasons already listed.

Jones134679
02-18-2006, 13:04
Thanks....I was pretty sure that headlamps would win, but i didnt know if anyone had a good reason to carry a flashlight.

LIhikers
02-18-2006, 13:10
I bought a headlamp because I got tired of holding my mini-mag flashlight in my mouth. I can recommend the Princeton Tec Aurora. It has 3 different levels of light as well as a blinker mode in case you need to get someones attention. It gives plenty of light for around camp or easy hiking at night, and the batteries last a really long time.

middle to middle
02-18-2006, 14:02
I may be a scardy cat but i like to see what is going "bump in the night" flash light does that.

Ridge
02-18-2006, 14:09
I use a headlight, the only problem is when conditions include fog, rain, or snow. Have to hold it in hand to alleviate reflection to the eyes. Also on rocks and roots the headlight will give a flat appearance and you have trouble judging the proper route. I usually will either hold the light in hand or get out my dependable mini-mag. I've done many miles at dark and have relied on a Petzl Duo 5-LED light. I have a tikka plus, great for camp, just not enough light for trail or cross-country use.

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 22:55
Put this puppy into a head band and all the problems are solved...

LLBean flashlightLLBean flashlighthttp://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=43010&sc1=Search&feat=sr

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 22:57
Let's try that again...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=43010&sc1=Search&feat=sr

jackiebolen
02-18-2006, 23:33
On my AT hike, I went light and just used a mini LED light that weighed less than an ounce. I didn't plan on hiking at night. I rarely got up at night to go to the bathroom. I got up early enough so I didn't have to roll into camp in the dark. So not having a headlamp is definitely doable but it was kind of annoying at times because I would lose the light because it was so small.

Nearly Normal
02-19-2006, 11:01
Velcro dot sewn to cap and glued to Photon light.
Seems to be plenty of lite light for me.
Pete

neighbor dave
02-19-2006, 11:23
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

Tipi Walter
02-19-2006, 12:07
In the early 1980s I got caught up in the minimag craze and so I ended up over the years holding either a black, red or blue one in my drooling mouth(not all at the same time!!). Lately I've gone the LED route and my present system(after wading through the Princeton Tec failures) is two LED flashlights: A little one-AAA Dorcy for reading purposes only and a larger 3 -AAA Coast Tac Torch("LED Lenser V") 5 LED beauty for camp chores and emergency night hikes.

I have considered the headlamp option but for me I like the quick picking up and laying down of a flashlight at night in the tent versus the slight fumbling that occurs with a headlamp and its strap. A small flashlight also stows away in a shirt or shorts pocket for immediate use and this repeated action of storage and use is just as quick as turning a headlamp on and off.
I can see the why headlamps are so popular but I guess I am stuck in my ways.

TJ aka Teej
02-19-2006, 12:53
Camp chores - headlamp. Night hiking - flashlight.

Ridge
02-19-2006, 13:22
Camp chores - headlamp. Night hiking - flashlight.

I agree about half of my night hiking requires a flashlight, but the other half the 5 LED headlight I use is great. Most of the time I just carry my headlight in my hand instead of getting out my mini-mag backup.

SnackMan
02-19-2006, 13:57
Petzle's tikka xp is probably one of the best you can get imo. Great brightness/time/weight. Be warned glasses wear's, some small closeto the head lamps such as a princeton scout will have a wide enough light emmision that you will get glare on your lennses, doable, but irritating and vision reducing.