water filter or treatment
hydration thingy
alcohol stove
tarp
gps

Stoker53
02-18-2006, 08:22
hammock and a gps......

like to be close to the ground when I sleep and I have way too much fun with topo/compass to use a gps

LW......BTW, thanks for the Wise shelter tip. Just got back from a week long trip. Used shelter as a base camp. First time in Mt. Rogers. Never made it to Dot's on the way out....maybe next trip.

jlb2012
02-18-2006, 09:48
dutch oven
tent
thermarest
gps
boots
fork or spork
anything stainless steel

The Solemates
02-18-2006, 09:49
all the stuff wolf mentioned, except i do use a titanium pot and occasionally a filter.

and add: Tyvek!

jasonklass
02-18-2006, 11:18
Great Question. In addition to some of the above:

candle lantern
Vapor barrier liner
tent stake hammer
GPS
Stainless Steel cookware

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 11:32
hammock
dog
gun
kilt
hammock
guitar, banjo, harmonica
ipod, cell phone
hammock

note to Lone Wolf - why not hiking poles?

Lone Wolf
02-18-2006, 11:47
Why no poles? I think they're useless plus the price is ridiculous.

neo
02-18-2006, 11:48

how about no beer lol:cool: neo

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 12:09

I used to go poleless and became a convert after see many thruhikers using them and I gave them a try. They give me an extra boost going uphill and I believe what they say about helping the knees going down hill, especially steep descents. I believe they also help me get a stronger rhythm going and helps my pace. I am not trying to convince you Wolf - I just wanted others to see another perception. Regarding the price, cars, houses, and the stuff we "need" are ridiculous. All things that get us away from that world and comfortably into the trail world are relative bargains.

RITBlake
02-18-2006, 18:38
Theres no question or debate about whether or not poles work. Its a matter of physics. They absorb shock and help you maintain balance. Yes they are pricey. But when you buy one set of Lekis you basically buy a set for life. They have the best warranty program I've ever seen from a gear company.

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2006, 18:54
Things/Objects I'll Never Hike With:

*Cell Phone
*Gun
*Ramen
*GPS
*Dog
*Alcohol Stove
*Power Bars
*Hammock
*Gaiters
*Radio
*Water Filter
*Harmonica
*Bigots
*Ultra Liberals
*Religious zealots
*Rosie O'Donnell
*Sean Hannity
*Michael Moore

Oh, and probably the Vice-President, especially if it was during hunting season.

Disney
02-18-2006, 18:58
If you don't want to spring for Leki's, pick up some used ski poles from Goodwill or a garage sale. They'll cost about 5 bucks.

RITBlake
02-18-2006, 19:43
yah thats a good point. There are many other options besides purchasing lekis. Garage sale ski pole is a great idea

Skidsteer
02-18-2006, 20:12
Oh, and probably the Vice-President, especially if it was during hunting season.

Probably not much danger of that Jack. With the poor man's heart problems, he'd most likely keel over ten steps past the scale at Amicalola!

handlebar
02-18-2006, 20:17
Things/Objects I'll Never Hike With:

*Cell Phone
*Gun
*Ramen
*GPS
*Dog
*Alcohol Stove
*Power Bars
*Hammock
*Gaiters
*Radio
*Water Filter
*Harmonica
*Bigots
*Ultra Liberals
*Religious zealots
*Rosie O'Donnell
*Sean Hannity
*Michael Moore

No alcohol stove? So what do you use to cook, or do you eat everything cold?

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2006, 20:23
In recent years, I've used cannister stoves, most recently the JetBoil system.

I eat very little during the day, preferring a very large meal at day's end. This requires boiling a good bit of water and I don't have the time or patience to boil a liter or more of water with an alcohol stove; therefore, I'm willing to pay a weight penalty and carry something more efficient, if it means I'll be eating quicker.

RockyTrail
02-18-2006, 22:25
Regarding the price, cars, houses, and the stuff we "need" are ridiculous. All things that get us away from that world and comfortably into the trail world are relative bargains.

Try flying airplanes for fun, that will teach you how inexpensive hiking is!:D
They are both great ways to enjoy the great outdoors, but one takes a heck of a lot more green than the other!
Just one hiker-pilot's take on it...:sun

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 22:43
Try flying airplanes for fun, that will teach you how inexpensive hiking is!:D
They are both great ways to enjoy the great outdoors, but one takes a heck of a lot more green than the other!
Just one hiker-pilot's take on it...:sun

I knew a hiker pilot and relatively speaking he had nothing on my family's lifestyle expenses...never mind, let's not go there.

TOW
02-18-2006, 22:45
8 lb dana longbed
candle lantern
more than three days of clothing

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 22:59
8 lb dana longbed
candle lantern
more than three days of clothing

:eek: Three days!!!!!!!! That's living high on the weight hog!

TOW
02-18-2006, 23:03
:eek: Three days!!!!!!!! That's living high on the weight hog! i definetly want a pair of clean clothes when i get in to town........

Tin Man
02-18-2006, 23:13
i definetly want a pair of clean clothes when i get in to town........

Good point. Before I go into town, I change into clothes that I left in my car. ;) You see I have never had the privilege to be on the trail for more than 6 days. :o

Wolf - 23000
02-19-2006, 05:42
Other things you don't need:

* Sleeping bag
* Tents
* Guns
* Soap
* Water Filters
* Dogs
* Cats
* Midgets on the trail
* Trolls on the trail
* Whiners on the trail

Wolf

bfitz
02-19-2006, 06:14
I know I put a lot of pounds on my poles that my legs would be taking...IMO my poles almost carry my pack for me. There are cheap alternatives...I scored some broken/mismatch castoffs from an outfitter and cobbled together a pair after my expensive ones disappeared on me...Once in a while a midget might come in handy, but I guess if you don't use it every day chuck it....

Nean
02-19-2006, 06:46
hammock
leki poles or any sticks or poles
anything titanium
gore tex
hydration thingy
alcohol stove
tarp
gps

I don't carry any of these on the AT

Wolf - 23000
02-19-2006, 08:05
Once in a while a midget might come in handy, but I guess if you don't use it every day chuck it....

Got it. Chuck midgets off the trail :D

Wolf

TOW
02-19-2006, 09:09

* Sleeping bag
* Tents
* Guns
* Soap
* Water Filters
* Dogs
* Cats
* Midgets on the trail
* Trolls on the trail
* Whiners on the trail

Wolfdogs, cats, midgets, trolls, whiners? okay
but the rest are essentials

Wolf - 23000
02-19-2006, 22:13
dogs, cats, midgets, trolls, whiners? okay
but the rest are essentials

If you really believe a GUN is an "essential" item needed to hike the AT, I suggest you stay home - number 3 on my list.

There are some hikers that carry soap but most don't. It just gets into the water by irrespondable hikers.

Water filters, tent, sleeping bags you don't need that stuff. That stuff is over rated.

Wolf

Krewzer
02-19-2006, 22:28
crampons...in the south
folding saw
ditto the candle lantern
>
>
>
>

For sale: 1 folding saw, 2 candle lanterns and a pair of instep crampons. Cheap.

minnesotasmith
02-19-2006, 23:05
An altar to the moral sense of Warren Doyle, the respect for other's opinions by Wingfoot, or the diplomatic ability (even when appropriate) of Lone Wolf? ;)

Heater
02-19-2006, 23:12

* Sleeping bag
* Tents
* Guns
* Soap
* Water Filters
* Dogs
* Cats
* Midgets on the trail
* Trolls on the trail
* Whiners on the trail

Wolf

What's wrong with midgets on the trail?

TOW
02-19-2006, 23:24
If you really believe a GUN is an "essential" item needed to hike the AT, I suggest you stay home - number 3 on my list.

There are some hikers that carry soap but most don't. It just gets into the water by irrespondable hikers.

Water filters, tent, sleeping bags you don't need that stuff. That stuff is over rated.

Wolfexcuse me, guns are not needed but i did have an experience once on the trail when i wished i'd a had one one time...........

mbroadhe
02-19-2006, 23:31
excuse me, guns are not needed but i did have an experience once on the trail when i wished i'd a had one one time...........
Were you in Georgia and does this bring back bad memories of that time?
http://www.rangerrob.com/Music/Country/DuelingBanjos(1).mid

River Runner
02-19-2006, 23:55
Should never say never, but I wouldn't be likely to take:

Nalgene bottles (except for short day hikes, and usually not even then)
Frying pan
Camp chair
Pack with "sleeping bag compartment" and/or lots of pockets
White gas stove (don't do severe weather camping & fear the flare-ups - plus they are heavy)
French press

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2006, 00:09
excuse me, guns are not needed but i did have an experience once on the trail when i wished i'd a had one one time...........

I've had an experience when I was shot at by an irresponsible FU##IN@ hunter but I still will not carry a gun on the AT. A gun is a weapon with one purpose and only one purpose - to KILL. If someone feel the trail is so unsafe they may be force to kill someone I'll say it again - STAY HOME!!!

Wolf

Tin Man
02-20-2006, 00:19
Deodorant should stay at home, or at least in the car until you are done hiking. My brother/partner carries deodorant and it drives me nuts! I keep telling him that a) there is no one out here who cares what he smells like and b) it only works for about 5 minutes. He responds that a) he doesn't like his own smell and b) he wishes I carried deodorant! :rolleyes:

River Runner
02-20-2006, 02:20
<Deodorant should stay at home, or at least in the car until you are done hiking.>
I agree.

<My brother/partner carries deodorant and it drives me nuts! I keep telling him that a) there is no one out here who cares what he smells like and b) it only works for about 5 minutes.>
Totally agree

<He responds that a) he doesn't like his own smell and b) he wishes I carried deodorant! >
LOL

digger51
02-20-2006, 11:38
Jack..didn't I see you borrow a cell phone last year at Blue Mtn Shelter to call the motels in Hiawassee to reserve a room because Lance Armstrong was cruising the area and taking all the rooms in town? Does this mean you don't carry what you can borrow?

MOWGLI
02-20-2006, 11:49
Jack..didn't I see you borrow a cell phone last year at Blue Mtn Shelter to call the motels in Hiawassee to reserve a room because Lance Armstrong was cruising the area and taking all the rooms in town? Does this mean you don't carry what you can borrow?

Oh oh. You better dig in digger. I sense a fusillade is on its way. :eek:

the goat
02-20-2006, 12:01
hammock
gps
cell phone
ipod
stove
gaiters
anything "golite"

Jester2000
02-20-2006, 12:49
The condoms. But that's probably just me.

tlbj6142
02-20-2006, 14:48
This requires boiling a good bit of water and I don't have the time or patience to boil a liter or more of water with an alcohol stove;This is one thing I don't quite understand about the "popularity" of the JetBoil System for thru-hikers. Isn't it a bit too small for a "thru-hiker"? I'm under the impression that most, all(?), thru-hikers eat 2 "dinners" (2 liptons, 2 ramen, etc.) each night. How do folks do that in a small pot (1L size, 0.5L "usable capacity according to jetboil")? Just cook 2 meals back-to-back?

Tinker
02-20-2006, 15:20
Electric Dog Polisher. :p

Skyline
02-20-2006, 15:31
This is one thing I don't quite understand about the "popularity" of the JetBoil System for thru-hikers. Isn't it a bit too small for a "thru-hiker"? I'm under the impression that most, all(?), thru-hikers eat 2 "dinners" (2 liptons, 2 ramen, etc.) each night. How do folks do that in a small pot (1L size, 0.5L "usable capacity according to jetboil")? Just cook 2 meals back-to-back?

No, they cook one meal themselves, and eat some touron's meal after that.

bfitz
02-20-2006, 16:59
My cell phone has saved lives, gotten rides, called my mom, and ordered pizza to the trailhead... I'll keep bringing it. You are welcome to borrow it, but you are paying for the pizza.

the goat
02-20-2006, 17:08
My cell phone has saved lives, gotten rides, called my mom, and ordered pizza to the trailhead... I'll keep bringing it. You are welcome to borrow it, but you are paying for the pizza.

I HATE CELL PHONES IN THE WOODS!!!!!

.......unless i'm getting some pizza outta it, then they're money!:D

hopefulhiker
02-20-2006, 17:25
cellphone
gun
Ramen
GPS
Dog
Jet Boil Stove
Power Bars
Hammock
Radio
Water Filter
Harmonica
Bigots
Religious Zealots/
Rush Limbaugh
Bill O'Reilly
Dick Cheny
or any of the Neo Conservatives(Oligarghists/Facists)

digger51
02-20-2006, 19:42
Mowgli.. Jack has a good sense of humor. He knows that I'm just pulling his chain.

TOW
02-20-2006, 20:09
Were you in Georgia and does this bring back bad memories of that time?
http://www.rangerrob.com/Music/Country/DuelingBanjos(1).midhow did you know??? the fear has been brought back...........yyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll lllllllllllll...........yyyyyaaaaaaaaa
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................

TOW
02-20-2006, 20:11
I've had an experience when I was shot at by an irresponsible FU##IN@ hunter but I still will not carry a gun on the AT. A gun is a weapon with one purpose and only one purpose - to KILL. If someone feel the trail is so unsafe they may be force to kill someone I'll say it again - STAY HOME!!!

Wolfhorsecrappy

TOW
02-20-2006, 20:13
i will never hike with someone who wants to do my hike for me.........

workboot
02-20-2006, 21:03
Sledgehammer and anvil

TOW
02-20-2006, 21:07
Sledgehammer and anvilhahahahaha:D

Wolf - 23000
02-20-2006, 21:50
horsecrappy

Wanderer may I suggest you change your name to “shot them up Dick Cheney” because it the same reckless behavior toward guns that get people hurt or even killed. Guns don’t kill people but irresponsible people do. If you have shot at you then I think you would retune your attitude. A hiker with a gun endangers everyone around him/her.

Wolf

freefall
02-20-2006, 22:01
Although I wouldn't carry this myself, Ultralighters might want to take a look at this piece of UL gear.
http://www.airscooter.com

Panzer1
02-20-2006, 23:12
I HATE CELL PHONES IN THE WOODS!!!!!
.......unless i'm getting some pizza outta it, then they're money!:D

I need my cell phone to report people I suspect of carrying guns illegally to authorities.

Panzer

Billygoatbritt
02-20-2006, 23:22
Ramen
tvp
candle lantern
anything propane

Jones134679
02-21-2006, 00:09
I was just wondering why so many of you wouldnt carry Ramen on the trail, i would think it would be an easy meal to cook.....sorry about the phone but i just gotta carry it.

TOW
02-21-2006, 00:45
Wanderer may I suggest you change your name to “shot them up Dick Cheney” because it the same reckless behavior toward guns that get people hurt or even killed. Guns don’t kill people but irresponsible people do. If you have shot at you then I think you would retune your attitude. A hiker with a gun endangers everyone around him/her.

Wolfwell it depends on who it is that has the gun now doesn't it?? not everyone is as crazy as you might think that is packing out there........but i am definite in this opinion, i would not want to run into some like you that's packing a gun............your liable to be one of them that would be trigger happy just because some one looked at ya cross eyed..........and i do support my vice president in his decision..............

Stoker53
02-21-2006, 06:15

Wolf

Wolf....curious if you have had much experience firing guns or been around hunters/sportsmen? Hikers with guns only endanger others IF they are irresponsible. NOT ALL hikers are irresponsible.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2006, 08:24
I haven't used my 1st aid kit but I bring it anyway.

Jaybird
02-21-2006, 09:23
In recent years, I've used cannister stoves, most recently the JetBoil system..............
I eat very little during the day, preferring a very large meal at day's end. This requires boiling a good bit of water and I don't have the time or patience to boil a liter or more of water with an alcohol stove; therefore, I'm willing to pay a weight penalty and carry something more efficient, if it means I'll be eating quicker.

Yo Jack!

Try the MSR POCKET ROCKET!

It's almost half the weight as the JetBoil &
fires quicker (yes...i've timed it!)

I've already made "Model T" a convert! hehehehehe:D

lobshot
02-21-2006, 10:06
Tent? How many folks dont carry tents? From a beginners perspective, from all I have read, I thought that was one of the 'fer sures'.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 10:08
I ALWAYS carry a tent. Have I ever mentioned shelters suck?:)

sparky2000
02-21-2006, 10:44
I always carry freedom. Need it be defined?

Nearly Normal
02-21-2006, 11:01
A hiker with a gun endangers everyone around him/her. [/COLOR]

Wolf

How?
I don't think you would ever know if someone had a gun or not.
Does this also apply to knives, staff, fuel, dog...................................?

pete

RockyTrail
02-21-2006, 12:05
If you have shot at you then I think you would retune your attitude. A hiker with a gun endangers everyone around him/her.

Wolf

I've been shot at (they missed). Also have stared down the wrong end of a gun barrel more than once. Bullets make a funny whizzing sound as they go by. I can tell you it made me want to pack every day; but if I did that, I would be hostage to their actions. I don't let anybody rent space in my head...

It's a real world out there and sometimes packing is appropriate, but I've never found that it was necessary for hiking. For one thing, they weigh too dang much! Urban areas are another story...:D

Fiddler
02-21-2006, 12:16
There are a few things I would never use while hiking. But I don't think this is the proper place to post them, since this is now another anti-gun thread. Amazing how threads get changed by one or two fanatics.

kyhipo
02-21-2006, 12:18
water filter,hammok,gaitors :-? trecking poles ...ky

Mags
02-21-2006, 12:19
Wolf....curious if you have had much experience firing guns or been around hunters/sportsmen? Hikers with guns only endanger others IF they are irresponsible. NOT ALL hikers are irresponsible.

Wolf was (still is?) in the US Army.

I'm lazy so I'd never carry a gun.

Things I'll not carry on a trail:

1) Items people tell me that I absolutely need
2) Items that I can't see a use for
3) Others people's baggage

The above list can vary. :)

Wolf - 23000
02-21-2006, 12:28
RockyTrail,

Luckly the person that fired missed me as well. My job in the Army requires me to know how to fire. Out of respect for what we are using a gun is referred to as a "weapon". They are not need on the trail and only a fool believes he/she needed one.

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 12:30
I wonder if all the murder, rape and assault victims on the trail believed/wished they had one?:-?

Wolf - 23000
02-21-2006, 12:37

Stoker,

I use a gun in my currently job in the US Army that I have been in for 7 years. I know how and when to use a gun if I need to. Part of my job is teaching soldiers a gun is not a toy. If you pick it up then you must be prepared to use it.

If you pick up a gun and are not prepare to use it, then you just handed the enemy a weapon.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
02-21-2006, 12:45
How?
I don't think you would ever know if someone had a gun or not.
Does this also apply to knives, staff, fuel, dog...................................?

pete

Pete,

How you asked? A gun is not a toy. If you don't know that may I suggest taking some classes or get a grip.

Knives, staff, fuel, dogs all serve usefull propose. Most hikers knife are about an inch long and is use to cut, a staff is used for support getting up and down hills, fuel is use for cooking - it can be dangerous if used incorrectly, and a dog for compainionship.

Now what purpose does a gun have besides to hurt or kill someone???

Wolf

Alligator
02-21-2006, 12:46
screenhouse
portable toilet
cast iron cookware
solar shower
solar battery charger
mag light
can opener
can goods
portable table
fire grill
gas lantern
blender
axe
folding saw
S/S flask
hammock
pie iron
spice wheel
snake bite kit
handcuffs
table cloth
cutting board
table knife

Wolf - 23000
02-21-2006, 12:51
well it depends on who it is that has the gun now doesn't it?? not everyone is as crazy as you might think that is packing out there........but i am definite in this opinion, i would not want to run into some like you that's packing a gun............your liable to be one of them that would be trigger happy just because some one looked at ya cross eyed..........and i do support my vice president in his decision..............

OK let break this down and tell me this doesn't sound like the action of someone you would feel safe around. You support the Vice President in his decision - the VP fired on someone he could not see after hearing a sound. I'm not a hunter but doesn't that break the first rule of hunting??? And you support his decision???? You need help. That is just plain reckless.

Wolf

kyhipo
02-21-2006, 12:51
screenhouse
portable toilet
cast iron cookware
solar shower
solar battery charger
mag light
can opener
can goods
portable table
fire grill
gas lantern
blender
axe
folding saw
S/S flask
hammock
pie iron
spice wheel
snake bite kit
handcuffs
table cloth
cutting board
table knifecome on Gator! no hadcuffs or blender or gas lantern:D :eek: ky

Alligator
02-21-2006, 13:02
come on Gator! no hadcuffs or blender or gas lantern:D :eek: ky
Those plastic tie thingys are much lighter;) .

I've got a 400 watt blender and inverter for car camping. If someone were to give me one of those hand crank blenders, I'd throw it in my canoe box!

I did once own a single mantle "backpacking" gas lantern:o .

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 13:04
I'm so glad a useful thread is turning into the one millionth gun debate on WB. I've been waiting because it's been, what, two weeks since the last one? I thought I'd have to go back to the archives so I could rehash the same old things again, but you guys have saved me the trouble. Cool.

bfitz
02-21-2006, 14:02
.....Now what purpose does a gun have besides to hurt or kill someone???

Wolf
It has no other purpose (other than practicing with targets) ...but for that particular purpose it is the best tool for the job.

bfitz
02-21-2006, 14:02
Sorry Jeff.

weary
02-21-2006, 14:14
I wonder if all the murder, rape and assault victims on the trail believed/wished they had one?:-?
They may have wished. But I doubt if it would have been of much use. Unless you carry your gun cocked and in your hand at all times, and keep all fellow hikers at bay, there is little chance it would be of use against a murderer, rapist or assaulter.

Unless same are awfully dumb they won't let you fish through your pack before carrying out their dastardly attacks. And if you are carrying it in your hand even dumb people might be able to figure out the best attack is to walk up behind you and bash you in the head.

Weary

RockyTrail
02-21-2006, 14:35
OK, let's change the subject from guns to the environment...

how many thru's carried their little orange shovel all the way from Springer to Katahdin? :)

Lone Wolf
02-21-2006, 14:41
OK, let's change the subject from guns to the environment...

how many thru's carried their little orange shovel all the way from Springer to Katahdin? :)
Another piece of useless gear.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2006, 15:17
Get rid of those men's magazines, too. You're too tired at the end of the day, anyway.

bfitz
02-21-2006, 15:26
Get rid of those men's magazines, too. You're too tired at the end of the day, anyway.
Yeah, but not in the morning...:banana

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 16:40
Hrm...bfitz looks at men magazines?

TOW
02-21-2006, 16:59
I ALWAYS carry a tent. Have I ever mentioned shelters suck?:)yeah, you sure have, several times............i'm getting to the point i kind of agree with ya.........

Maalox
02-21-2006, 17:06
A monkey. They weigh at least 30 pounds and they throw their feces everywhere.

TOW
02-21-2006, 17:10
If you pick up a gun and are not prepare to use it, then you just handed the enemy a weapon.

Wolfto further your statement, as if you need any help, i believe if you point a gun at someone with the intent of getting your way you better darn well pull the trigger whether you hit the person or not..........

however if your so anti gun about those who might carry them on the trail, then why not the same attitude in the army?

you ain't one of them wishy washy kinda fellars are ya.........only you know the responsibility that packing a piece on the trail ensues.........i'm so enlightened.............

TOW
02-21-2006, 17:16
Now what purpose does a gun have besides to hurt or kill someone???

Wolf

maybe some hikers like shooting at the many cans strewn along the trail.....

TOW
02-21-2006, 17:23
OK let break this down and tell me this doesn't sound like the action of someone you would feel safe around. You support the Vice President in his decision - the VP fired on someone he could not see after hearing a sound. I'm not a hunter but doesn't that break the first rule of hunting??? And you support his decision???? You need help. That is just plain reckless.

Wolfno sir, you are wrong............it is you who are reckless in their opinion meaning that you assumed that i am this or that and therefor it is okay for ole wolfy to jump on the band wagon and tell it like it is........if your going to shoot that trap off and compare me to dick cheney then naturally i am going to jump on his side and take up the cause and defend myself.............in fact i did not know the whole detail of the incident and after i heard that they were still buddies i figured why not, after all some of the best friends i have are the direct result of gun play or a fist fight..........

TOW
02-21-2006, 17:25
I'm so glad a useful thread is turning into the one millionth gun debate on WB. I've been waiting because it's been, what, two weeks since the last one? I thought I'd have to go back to the archives so I could rehash the same old things again, but you guys have saved me the trouble. Cool.i'm glad we could oblige ya............

RockyTrail
02-21-2006, 17:53
i guess nobody wants to talk about orange shovels...:(

kyhipo
02-21-2006, 18:00
i guess nobody wants to talk about orange shovels...:(allright Rockytrail to tellya the truth those little gardening shovels stink!! :banana :banana :D ky

Fiddler
02-21-2006, 18:04
Wolf

A gun is a weapon with one purpose and only one purpose - to KILL. If someone feel the trail is so unsafe they may be force to kill someone I'll say it again - STAY HOME!!!Wolf

A hiker with a gun endangers everyone around him/her.Wolf

They are not need on the trail and only a fool believes he/she needed one.
So, Mr Wolf. Are we then to assume that you do not approve of anyone, whoever they are, for whatever their reasons, legally or otherwise, carrying a firearm when hiking? I have recently retired from a 36+ year law enforcement carreer. I don't think I need your approval, or that of any other person, to carry a weapon anywhere in the United States (with very few exceptions). Read this: http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html and this: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218.cfm. And my state, Illinois, has some of the toughest firearms laws in the nation. (Not that I would take a firearm on the trail, just that I could if I wanted to). Perhaps you would list all the different items you carry on a hike. You just might be carrying some item some of us don't think you should carry.

fivefour
02-21-2006, 18:12
an electric razor

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 18:43
I let my dog carry my rifle. That way, he can piss on the snorers and if they get mad, I just snatch up my rifle.

Mags
02-21-2006, 18:52
I let my dog carry my rifle. That way, he can piss on the snorers and if they get mad, I just snatch up my rifle.

Yes, but only after using your cell phone to call your slackpack support van first.
;-)

Skidsteer
02-21-2006, 18:57
Yes, but only after using your cell phone to call your slackpack support van first.
;-)

So they can bring you a carton of cigarettes.;)

Skidsteer
02-21-2006, 18:59
So they can bring you a carton of cigarettes.;)

And fresh batteries for your Ipod.

Tin Man
02-21-2006, 19:35
i guess nobody wants to talk about orange shovels...:(

Orange shovels? Are they for burying spent cartridges?

TOW
02-21-2006, 21:17
Perhaps you would list all the different items you carry on a hike. You just might be carrying some item some of us don't think you should carry.probably like a grenade or something.....

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 21:35
And fresh batteries for your Ipod.

No, even fresh batteries can't power the 10" woofers. I rigged up my ATV to be a generator once I get to camp. Of course, the generator is kinda loud so I have to turn the music up higher, but I stealth camp right behind the shelter so it's only a problem for the people in shelters.

Skidsteer
02-21-2006, 21:40
No, even fresh batteries can't power the 10" woofers. I rigged up my ATV to be a generator once I get to camp. Of course, the generator is kinda loud so I have to turn the music up higher, but I stealth camp right behind the shelter so it's only a problem for the people in shelters.

Sweet! I bet you even drown out all but one or two of the snorers with that setup.

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 21:44
Naw - the dog has already taken care of them.

It does cover up the rifle report for the ones who get angry at the dog, though. :)

Wolf - 23000
02-22-2006, 00:08
wanderer,

First in regards to me being in the Army, I try to keep my personal and professional separate. I only brought up the fact I was in the Army when asked about my background with guns.

With that said I will address am I “one of them wishy washy kinda fellar” the answer is no. I never said I was against guns when used in their proper place. As I said I know how and when to use it. The key word is “when”. On a popular trail used by some 6,000,000 hikers a year – including families, children is not the place to be hiking with or firing off a weapon.

Your comment, “maybe some hikers like shooting at the many cans strewn along the trail.....” lets break that down. The bullet doesn’t just stop when it hit the can, it continues on often farther then you can see it. Your risking others lives which is not cool.

Let’s say no one gets hurt. If you have spent anytime on the trail, I’m sure you will agree that some gunmen are straight out irresponsible woodmen – leaving shot up cans or broken bottles everywhere, shooting up trail signs, etc. But let’s say you’re more responsible than that, shoot only at the cans, and clean up after yourself, what about the area you were shooting in. As I said the bullet doesn’t just stop at the can, it continues cutting into trees, or who knows what else. If 100 people did the same thing, that area wouldn’t look like a wilderness area for long.

Final in regards to the VP, I didn’t assume anything. It was your own comment saying, “do support my vice president in his decision”. The complete details have been in News Papers, on TV, and on the internet news section. I am sure every responsible gun owner will tell you, firing at something that you don’t see is reckless. What is anyone suppose to make out of your post when you come out and say that you support this behavior? Or now when you come out and say your past post saying you supported the VP in his decision was done without knowing the whole details?

Wolf

Panzer1
02-22-2006, 00:46
All I can say about guns on the trail is, if you find out someone has a gun on the trail, use your cell phone and call the cops..

Panzer

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 00:52
Haha...or sick your dog on them while they're digging around in their pack to pull it out.

If I knew someone on the trail had a gun, I would:
1 - hike with them if they're responsible
2 - stay away from them if they're an idiot

So pretty much, I'd treat them just like every other hiker I meet.

TOW
02-22-2006, 01:10
wanderer,

First in regards to me being in the Army, I try to keep my personal and professional separate. I only brought up the fact I was in the Army when asked about my background with guns.

With that said I will address am I “one of them wishy washy kinda fellar” the answer is no. I never said I was against guns when used in their proper place. As I said I know how and when to use it. The key word is “when”. On a popular trail used by some 6,000,000 hikers a year – including families, children is not the place to be hiking with or firing off a weapon.

Your comment, “maybe some hikers like shooting at the many cans strewn along the trail.....” lets break that down. The bullet doesn’t just stop when it hit the can, it continues on often farther then you can see it. Your risking others lives which is not cool.

Let’s say no one gets hurt. If you have spent anytime on the trail, I’m sure you will agree that some gunmen are straight out irresponsible woodmen – leaving shot up cans or broken bottles everywhere, shooting up trail signs, etc. But let’s say you’re more responsible than that, shoot only at the cans, and clean up after yourself, what about the area you were shooting in. As I said the bullet doesn’t just stop at the can, it continues cutting into trees, or who knows what else. If 100 people did the same thing, that area wouldn’t look like a wilderness area for long.

Final in regards to the VP, I didn’t assume anything. It was your own comment saying, “do support my vice president in his decision”. The complete details have been in News Papers, on TV, and on the internet news section. I am sure every responsible gun owner will tell you, firing at something that you don’t see is reckless. What is anyone suppose to make out of your post when you come out and say that you support this behavior? Or now when you come out and say your past post saying you supported the VP in his decision was done without knowing the whole details?

Wolf
you win............................................... ................

Heater
02-22-2006, 05:28
I won't have any use for the Green Manalishi with the Two Pronged Crown.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 08:31
All I can say about guns on the trail is, if you find out someone has a gun on the trail, use your cell phone and call the cops..

Panzer
Trail rats get squashed.

Jester2000
02-22-2006, 14:53

That's funny. I don't have a cell phone and I've managed to save lives, get rides, order pizza to trailheads, and call bfitz's mom.

(was that offsides?)

SGTdirtman
02-22-2006, 16:47
Even if I wanted to bring my cell phone, They rarely ever work on the trail! There is nothing funnier than a hiker on a cell phone randomly walking around the woods trying to get a signal.

As for guns on the trail, I think thats retarded but wouldnt care if I knew someone had one. I carry a large ka-bar combat knife on my belt at all times and 2 smaller knives on the shoulder straps of my pack at all times which im sure some of you will find wrong, but at least its legal.

bfitz
02-22-2006, 19:25
Even if I wanted to bring my cell phone, They rarely ever work on the trail! There is nothing funnier than a hiker on a cell phone randomly walking around the woods trying to get a signal.

As for guns on the trail, I think thats retarded but wouldnt care if I knew someone had one. I carry a large ka-bar combat knife on my belt at all times and 2 smaller knives on the shoulder straps of my pack at all times which im sure some of you will find wrong, but at least its legal.
Mine worked great a lot of the times. I kept it turned off most of the time anyway. And it was useful in town as well. I'd be payin the bill anyway so as not to lose the number, and keep voice mail etc.

bfitz
02-22-2006, 19:31
And jester, that was probably my phone you called my mom with! Thanks for being my "nicotine sherpa", though...and for teaching me not to wrap my feet in duct tape...:p

bulldog49
02-22-2006, 21:26
Hammock
Alcohol Stove
GPS
Waldies (too clunky and bulky)
Umbrella
Radio
Any type of musical instrument
Cotton clothing

Heater
02-23-2006, 01:18
That's funny. I don't have a cell phone and I've managed to save lives, get rides, order pizza to trailheads, and call bfitz's mom.

(was that offsides?)

Offsides? I don't know! Is his mom a linebacker.

Clark Fork
02-23-2006, 04:21
no sir, you are wrong............it is you who are reckless in their opinion meaning that you assumed that i am this or that and therefor it is okay for ole wolfy to jump on the band wagon and tell it like it is........if your going to shoot that trap off and compare me to dick cheney then naturally i am going to jump on his side and take up the cause and defend myself.............in fact i did not know the whole detail of the incident and after i heard that they were still buddies i figured why not, after all some of the best friends i have are the direct result of gun play or a fist fight..........

President Merkin Muffley (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000634/): "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room".- Peter Sellers- Dr. Strangelove

This is up there with the dumbest discusssions ever... Swords.. anyone?

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where never is heard a discouraging word."

Teatime
02-23-2006, 05:18
Let me join the fray, since I have acually done some upland bird hunting. First, it sounds to me that you don't like V.P. Cheney right off the bat. The facts are: the the guy who got shot was in a gully so only his head was exposed, the sun was in Cheney's face and the guy didn't make himself known. Now, Cheney has come out and said that it was his fault, he pulled the trigger. Things aren't always black and white. Hunting can be a dangerous sport, even when you take all the safety precautions. It has already been noted by others who know him, that Cheney is a safe and cautious hunter. It was an accident, plain and simple. I was in the USAF for 12 years and had to qualify most of those years. I participated in a defense excercise in Korea and the Army chick with me couldn't even get the bolt on her M-16 to lock. I had to do it for her and wasn't impressed.
wanderer,

Wolf

Seeker
02-23-2006, 05:24
anything goretex
spork of any sort, titanium or plastic
nalgene
hacky-sack
my accordion

Green Bean
02-23-2006, 09:35
Dont need a FORK! i always would bring a set of silverware from the Boyscouts the spoon knife and the fork would interlock with each other. I would never use the fork and just use my pocket knife as a knife.~GB

Scots Guards
02-27-2006, 23:50

Panzer Question: Would you also use your phone to call the police and report those using illegal drugs? They are much more of a hazard than someone resposably carrying a defense arm.

Scots Guards
02-28-2006, 00:14
Stuff I leave behind when hiking: Shorts, sleeping bag (Unless it's going to get below 50) gas or alcohol stoves, my cat, her cat, (especialy her cat, the guy weighs close to 20lbs), handcuffs, and hand grenades. Com'on, smile!
I do like to take a poncho and liner to sleep in, map and compass, a nice HD sheath knife, and yes, where at all possable my sidearm.

Wolf - 23000
02-28-2006, 01:37
Let me join the fray, since I have acually done some upland bird hunting. First, it sounds to me that you don't like V.P. Cheney right off the bat. The facts are: the the guy who got shot was in a gully so only his head was exposed, the sun was in Cheney's face and the guy didn't make himself known. Now, Cheney has come out and said that it was his fault, he pulled the trigger. Things aren't always black and white. Hunting can be a dangerous sport, even when you take all the safety precautions. It has already been noted by others who know him, that Cheney is a safe and cautious hunter. It was an accident, plain and simple. I was in the USAF for 12 years and had to qualify most of those years. I participated in a defense excercise in Korea and the Army chick with me couldn't even get the bolt on her M-16 to lock. I had to do it for her and wasn't impressed.

Teatime,

I never said I like or dislike Cheney, I simple comment on his action. I gave the short version but it doesn't change the fact that 1) guns are not toys and 2) shooting at something that you can not properly see is reckless 3) Anyone who would defend such actions is no better.

As for your comment about the “Army chick” first the Army does not have “chicks”. The Army has men and women soldiers. Two, just like any branch, there are some soldiers/seamen/airmen that are very good at using a weapon while others are not. The person you are referring to may not have your experience using a weapon.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
02-28-2006, 01:47
Stuff I leave behind when hiking: Shorts, sleeping bag (Unless it's going to get below 50) gas or alcohol stoves, my cat, her cat, (especialy her cat, the guy weighs close to 20lbs), handcuffs, and hand grenades. Com'on, smile!
I do like to take a poncho and liner to sleep in, map and compass, a nice HD sheath knife, and yes, where at all possable my sidearm.

Scots Guards,

Please don't leave behind you shorts. The hikers around you would very like you to use them.

Wolf

bfitz
02-28-2006, 01:51
Question: Would you also use your phone to call the police and report those using illegal drugs? They are much more of a hazard than someone resposably carrying a defense arm.
No they're not.

SGTdirtman
02-28-2006, 02:19
i think a better question is, IF you do call the police to report illegal drug use.... do you think the police care?

hiker- "hello 911, yes i just saw someone smoking a joint... "
911- "whats your location?"
hiker- "well if you turn off this road and follow the appalachian trail 12 miles up the side of the moutain"
911- "click"
hiker- "hello? hello!"

I dont like drug users on the trail, but its easier to just walk by them. And just as effective as trying to "report" them

bfitz
02-28-2006, 02:50
hiker- "hello 911, yes i just saw someone smoking a joint... "
911- "whats your location?"
hiker- "well if you turn off this road and follow the appalachian trail 12 miles up the side of the moutain"
911- "click"
hiker- "hello? hello!"
:p
I love the woods...

Scots Guards
02-28-2006, 08:30
Wolf-23000: Nice comeback. I just prefer long pants.
Bfitz: If not more hazardous they are infinitly more offensive. I hike with my child and have no wish to have her around that behaviour. So rest assured, If we happen to be camping in the same area and you light up, shoot up, etc., I'm going to ask you take it elsewhere.
Yes the authorities probably don't give a hoot but my point was why is someone so over zelous about one so called illigal activity and not another? Could it be they are engaging in so called activity and God forbid they should get called on the carpet for that? Hummmm?? A bit hypacritical not?
Oh and one other point; The right of people to keep and bear arms is clearly defined in the 2nd amendment to the U.S. constitution.
And how did this manage to go from a very pleasant/humourous discusion on what I'd not carry to a nasty debate on guns and illigal drugs?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 09:31
...shall not be infringed.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2006, 09:32
Question: Would you also use your phone to call the police and report those using illegal drugs? They are much more of a hazard than someone resposably carrying a defense arm.
He probably smokes dope so the call wouldn't be made.

Fiddler
02-28-2006, 10:25
And how did this manage to go from a very pleasant/humourous discusion on what I'd not carry to a nasty debate on guns and illigal drugs?Anytime you mention firearms or dogs anywhere on here you will have one or two fanatics come out with their form of gospel and they will not give up on it. Drugs run a close second. They feel their opinion is the only right one, any one who disagrees is wrong. There is no such thing as a reasonable discussion. Your choices then are to either argue with them (you cannot reason, anyone that dis-agrees with them is wrong) or ignore them.

the goat
02-28-2006, 10:53
I love the woods...

ditto...:sun

Allen66
02-28-2006, 11:35
HYOH!!!!!!

irritable_badger
02-28-2006, 12:39
I've seen this crop up several times on whiteblaze and I thought I'd put my two cents in.

While I don't carry one anymore, guns on the Trail are OK. Not too very long ago (65 years or so, pre WWII) just about anyone you came across in the woods would have been armed. It just makes sense. The scary image mass media has built around firearms makes people scared of guns, and those who carry them, for no reason. A responsibly carried firearm is safe. Far safer to the general public than those people who drive 4WD school buses with leather seats while operating their satellite radio, onboard GPS, and talking on the phone. Far safer than the people who feed bears or don't hang their food in bear areas.

In fact many real "mountain people" still carry their firearms any time they venture into the woods. These people, who live outdoors almost everyday, think it makes sense. It's funny to me that the "city folk" who read about the outdoors, think guns are dangerous and want to call the police.

Patrick
02-28-2006, 16:51
Badger, thanks for reminding me of that Hemingway quote. It's one of my favorites and I'd forgotten all about it.

I agree that it is very strange that people look upon guns as having some kind of moral affiliation one way or the other.

Blister
02-28-2006, 17:19
I am going to leave my voice activated gps guide book at home - he is just way to heavy! Ya had to be a trail days last year to get this one, but I do believe there are some pictures posted somewhere here on whiteblaze

bfitz
03-01-2006, 00:26
Wolf-23000: Nice comeback. I just prefer long pants.
Bfitz: If not more hazardous they are infinitly more offensive. I hike with my child and have no wish to have her around that behaviour. So rest assured, If we happen to be camping in the same area and you light up, shoot up, etc., I'm going to ask you take it elsewhere.
Yes the authorities probably don't give a hoot but my point was why is someone so over zelous about one so called illigal activity and not another? Could it be they are engaging in so called activity and God forbid they should get called on the carpet for that? Hummmm?? A bit hypacritical not?
Oh and one other point; The right of people to keep and bear arms is clearly defined in the 2nd amendment to the U.S. constitution.
And how did this manage to go from a very pleasant/humourous discusion on what I'd not carry to a nasty debate on guns and illigal drugs?
I didn't sense any nasty, but I'm frequently accused of being oblivious. Rest assured that if I don't know you, you will never see me light up, shoot up (well, you might see me shoot up, but that'd be insulin, so check before you kick my but, call the cops, etc...) or what have you...the woods are big, and I practice basic ettiquette (not to mantion common sense around strangers who may be law enforcement gun toters.) I got no problem with you carrying you're gun, knife, bong, cell phone, or whatever, so long as you are just as concious of ettiquette as I am. I will say that the guy with the gun is no more dangerous than the guy with the bag of weed, either... Again, I love the woods...plenty of elbow room, no reason why we all can't just get along. Cough, cough....:p

Scots Guards
03-01-2006, 02:34
Very true Bfitz. HYOH and be courtious. Nice point about the insulin. One may be doing "legal" drugs and get hasseled by someone. Always best to get all the facts before one shoots off their mouth (or anything else)

Newb
03-01-2006, 10:53
How about this guy...Think he'll use is crampons during his thruhike?

http://trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=3123

Tinker
03-01-2006, 11:27
hammock
anything titanium
gore tex
hydration thingy
alcohol stove
tarp
gps

This man hikes naked?

LW, what do you cook in, or do you eat uncooked food? (Titanium rocks for boiling water, but sucks for fancy cooking).

If you don't use a tarp, what do you use?

If you don't use a filter or treatment, do you just take your chances, or do you boil?

Gore Tex certainly is not necessary with the advance of other wp/b fabrics and membranes, nor is it desirable in hot weather.

Hydration bladders and alcohol stoves are certainly a matter of personal choice.

I wholeheartedly agree that, at least on the AT and most trails in the built up eastern US, GPS units are as desirable in your pack as a rock of similar weight.

If you don't use hiking poles, it's probably only because you haven't tried them and are, in this case, at least, a purist.

Lone Wolf
03-01-2006, 11:33
This man hikes naked?

LW, what do you cook in, or do you eat uncooked food? (Titanium rocks for boiling water, but sucks for fancy cooking).

If you don't use a tarp, what do you use?

If you don't use a filter or treatment, do you just take your chances, or do you boil?

Gore Tex certainly is not necessary with the advance of other wp/b fabrics and membranes, nor is it desirable in hot weather.

Hydration bladders and alcohol stoves are certainly a matter of personal choice.

I wholeheartedly agree that, at least on the AT and most trails in the built up eastern US, GPS units are as desirable in your pack as a rock of similar weight.

If you don't use hiking poles, it's probably only because you haven't tried them and are, in this case, at least, a purist.
I cook in a stainless steel pot. I've had it for 20 years.
I sleep in a tent.
I do not filter, treat or boil water. I drink it straight.
I do not use poles or sticks because I don't need them. My legs and knees are very strong even though I had major surgery on my right knee over 25 years ago. I don't buy into that " I have bad knees" BS.

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 11:39
I practice a basic and primal form of ettiquette it's called 'mind your own business'. I mind mine, and expect you to mind yours. In the old days people understood this basic principle, it is as American as apple pie. I think people nowadays have the belief that everything everyone does is everybody elses concern.
I can understand someone getting upset if someone else lights up a joint in front of thier kid, but other than that its really not your business. The only thing worse than a gun toter or pot smoker is a friggin bizzy-body.

irritable_badger
03-01-2006, 11:46
I practice a basic and primal form of ettiquette it's called 'mind your own business'. I mind mine, and expect you to mind yours. In the old days people understood this basic principle, it is as American as apple pie. I think people nowadays have the belief that everything everyone does is everybody elses concern.
I can understand someone getting upset if someone else lights up a joint in front of thier kid, but other than that its really not your business. The only thing worse than a gun toter or pot smoker is a friggin bizzy-body.

Did you know that currency issued by the Continental Congress actually had the motto "Mind Your Business" printed on it? It reffered to America's isolationist stance and to practical business matters so it worked out well. Too bad they took that off.

What state license plate says "Live Free or Die"? America needs more things like this.

Gray Blazer
03-01-2006, 11:50
I had major surgery on my knee less than 2 months ago so I still have a "bad Knee". I am looking forward to a complete recovery but I will still not use hiking poles. I will continue to carry my walking stick or as I call it my bear bopper.

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 12:10
Did you know that currency issued by the Continental Congress actually had the motto "Mind Your Business" printed on it? It reffered to America's isolationist stance and to practical business matters so it worked out well. Too bad they took that off.

What state license plate says "Live Free or Die"? America needs more things like this.

New Hampshire has that logo on their plates. Many people believe that NH is the last free state left. They refuse to enact the seat belt law ( which is an affront to our right to choose whats best for us and was only enacted to enrich insurance companies) and as the rest of america is moving away from encouraging individuality, they are taking a stand.
This might be over-simplifying, but our country was founded on the principle of 'mind your own business', and we're moving away from it, which is very disturbing.

KirkMcquest
03-01-2006, 12:18
Just to add a bit more about New Hampshire; They have the lowest property taxes in the country, representatives only make one dollar per year, and the state has a history of cherishing individual rights. This shows a basic respect for the citizens of the state. The state does not treat its people like children who cannot make decisions for themselves.

check out 'the free state project: 100 reason's to move to New Hampshire'. You'll have to do a search but it's worth it

tlbj6142
03-01-2006, 14:14
How about this guy...Think he'll use is crampons during his thruhike?Yep. He left 2 weeks ago. I suspect he will see some icy patches on the trail. Note he isn't using full crampons, just toe/instep crampons. Good idea for those that leave in Feb.

Way back in Jan 2003 (2nd-5th), I did a section hike in the smokies along the AT. It was 55F in the valleys the day we left, on the ridge the next day there was 6-8" of snow on top of packed ice. There was no way I could have hiked the trail without some sort of traction device (I was using Stabilicers (http://www.32north.com/)).

Seeker
03-01-2006, 14:22

New Hampshire.

Newb
03-01-2006, 15:24
You see...the guy is taking CRAMPONS for Gods sake.

Patrick
03-04-2006, 01:52
New Hampshire and Alaska are also the only states that do not require a permit for carrying a concealed weapon.

Almost There
03-04-2006, 23:54
I will never use a hammock!!!:D

oldfivetango
03-05-2006, 10:34
Some would argue(mostly professional hunting guides) that the accident was indeed the guides fault for not having control of the hunters and the situation before flushing the birds.Go ask a professional hunting guide and see if you get a disagreement.And the guy who got shot set up the accident chain by getting out of position to begin with.There is a protocol one follows at gun ranges and bird hunts-the "victim" did not follow the rules,sustained injury,and VP Cheney takes the rap.Cheney's mistake was not knowing where his partners were before making the shot-plenty of blame to go around.It was a clear cut case of an accident that should have never happened but it did.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Old Hillwalker
03-05-2006, 12:04
We also have no sales or income tax, no helmet laws and a seatbelt law only for those under 13. But saying that we have a low property tax is hardly true since it is our local property taxes that make up far a lack of sales and income taxes. We also have the largest number of state reps in the nation including those in the us Congress. I think we are now at 367 members. Most of those are very old people with nothing else to do. Sitting in the gallery at Concord is a scary experiance watching all those very seniors nodding off during debates. However, William Wallace would be happy living here :D

Diomede
03-05-2006, 23:43
Wow, Wolf you really have a strong opinion that you are trying to preach, why don't you take it somewhere else, like an appropriately labeled thread, may "I'm a soldier, so I know everything about guns:" Besides isn't 'gun' an inappropriate term, shouldn't it be firearm or weapon or something, I figured an army dude would know that. Oh and why aren't there are army chicks? Are they all manly or something?

cjordan
03-06-2006, 10:49
I'm a newbie si I have found these posting very enlightning.
I've seen several posts about NOT carrying water filtration devices.
Why? Is clean/safe water frequently available on the trail or is everyone
carrying enough so they don't need to re-fill?

hiking poles - I don't plan on using any, but I was planning on obtaining a
walking stick, if for nothing else than a place to pin my AT walking
stick medallion.

Seeker
03-06-2006, 14:29
I've seen several posts about NOT carrying water filtration devices. Why? Is clean/safe water frequently available on the trail or is everyone carrying enough so they don't need to re-fill?

two reasons. some of us use Aqua-Mira or similar water purifying tablets. others of us (not me) have digestive systems that can deal with stuff that would make other people sick. ever wonder why mexicans can drink their own water, and most american tourists can't? it's like that most places in the world... if you have a friend who gets their water from a well, sometimes their company will get sick too... just what you're used to... and most of us grew up drinking overly clean water... some of us drank out of puddles a lot... some of us still can (us posters, not me personally).

Topcat
03-06-2006, 14:59
Lots of children in the third world die from bad water and parasites. goes to the saying, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. I spent 2 years trying to get mothers to boil their water for their children. Sometimes getting used to it is dangerous.

That all being said, i caught everything you could when i was in Peace Corps and now, dont seem to have a problem ever. Dont suggest going that route but it was a great weight loss program

SGTdirtman
03-06-2006, 15:09
i cant see not carrying at least some sort of treatment drops or tabs... last thing I wanna do in the middle of the woods is spend half my day crapping my brains out because I contracted bolivian butt rott by drinking water that "looked clean" but had microscopic singaporian death slugs swimming around in it.

RockyTrail
03-06-2006, 16:19
I've seen several posts about NOT carrying water filtration devices.

Can't be done; everybody carries a water filter, it's called your kidneys and liver!

Personally I like to pre-filter with an external pump filter so I can save the built-in ones for later :)

Wolf - 23000
03-06-2006, 23:46
Wow, Wolf you really have a strong opinion that you are trying to preach, why don't you take it somewhere else, like an appropriately labeled thread, may "I'm a soldier, so I know everything about guns:" Besides isn't 'gun' an inappropriate term, shouldn't it be firearm or weapon or something, I figured an army dude would know that.

High speed, try to keep up. The Army does refer to a gun as a “weapon” or as a “firearm” but not everyone is in the Army. I used the term “gun” several times so that even the slowest person can understand. Node your head if you understand.

I never claim I new everything about gun but I do know the basic fundamentals of marksmanship that don’t change. Please don’t confuse the two.

Oh and why aren't there are army chicks? Are they all manly or something?

As I said prior, the Army employs both men and women – not “army chicks”. Try to keep up. I’m not trying to judge you but maybe you should stop thinking so much about farm animals in replace of women. Just a thought.

Finally, if posting to keep an illegal, deadly weapon off the trail means I’m “preaching” so be it. If what I said helps keep even one gun off the trail, then the trail is that much safer. I can live with that, Can you?

Wolf

irritable_badger
03-06-2006, 23:53
Finally, if posting to keep an illegal, deadly weapon off the trail means I’m “preaching” so be it. If what I said helps keep even one gun off the trail, then the trail is that much safer. I can live with that, Can you?

Wolf
How does keeping a gun/firearm off the Trail make it safer? In an urban environment the average US Citizen will come within 5' of a firearm about three times per day (firearms not carried by law enforcment personnel). Obviously these three guns each day don't effect your life now; why would they suddenly pose a threat on the Trail?

Wolf - 23000
03-07-2006, 03:07
How does keeping a gun/firearm off the Trail make it safer? In an urban environment the average US Citizen will come within 5' of a firearm about three times per day (firearms not carried by law enforcment personnel). Obviously these three guns each day don't effect your life now; why would they suddenly pose a threat on the Trail?

In an urban environment, how many average US Citizen are shot by non-law enforcment personnel every year? Turn on the news, any given day and you'll know your answer. Should we also include the folks that did something careless that cause themselves or someone's child to be injuried or killed. Should we also include the people that were injuried or killed in say a cross fire.

As I said before, there is a time and place for everything including guns. On a popular trail that has little crime violent guns are out of place.

Wolf

SGTdirtman
03-07-2006, 04:31
Im pretty much PRO-GUNS and against alot of gun laws... but cant in any way find a need to carry a firearm on the AT. If you do well whatever but your breaking a whole list of federal offences in most cases :rolleyes:

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 09:59
In an urban environment, how many average US Citizen are shot by non-law enforcment personnel every year? Turn on the news, any given day and you'll know your answer. Should we also include the folks that did something careless that cause themselves or someone's child to be injuried or killed. Should we also include the people that were injuried or killed in say a cross fire.

As I said before, there is a time and place for everything including guns. On a popular trail that has little crime violent guns are out of place.

Wolf

I'm not advocting carrying a firearm on the Trail, but I don't see how doing so would make it less safe.

Tin Man
03-07-2006, 12:42
From the ATC web site: AppalachianTrail.org

---
Is the water safe to drink?

Water in the backcountry and in water sources along the A.T. can be contaminated by microorganisms, including giardia lamblia and others that cause diarrhea or stomach problems. Waters may be clear, cold, and free-running and may look, smell, and taste good. In spite of all that, giardia and other waterborne parasites may still be present, and can cause debilitating illness. We recommend that you treat all water, using a filter or purifier or water-treatment tablets, or by boiling it. Several ways of treating "raw" water make it safer:

Boiling. The most certain treatment to destroy Giardia and Cryptosporidium is to bring water to a rolling boil for at least one minute. Boiling will also destroy other organisms causing waterborne disease, although at high altitudes you should maintain the boil 3 -5 minutes for an additional margin of safety.

Portable water filters. A far less reliable treatment is the use of portable water filters. Some claim to remove Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts, but test protocols are not uniform in the industry and many have not been tested in unbiased laboratories. Purchase only from reputable dealers, and check product literature to ensure that the filter is labeled according to filter manufacturing standards as at least an “Absolute” 1 micron filter, or is labeled as meeting American National Standards Institute (ANSI/NSF) (formerly the National Sanitation Foundation) International Standard #53 for “Cyst Removal.” No other filters are reliable for removing Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

Chemical treatments. Chemical disinfectants such as iodine or chlorine tablets or drops are not reliable for killing Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts. These disinfectants do work well against most disease causing waterborne bacteria and viruses that may not have been removed by filtration so water that has been filtered should be disinfected before consumption. Add 8 drops of liquid household bleach or 20 drops of tincture of iodine per gallon of water and let stand for 30 minutes. Double the concentration if the water is cloudy. (Iodine and chlorine tablets are available in drug stores and camping or sporting stores. Use according to directions.)

For short trips, take a supply of water from home or from other treated domestic sources.

Water safety information is adapted from A.T. publications and Is the Water Safe? Think Before You Drink, available from the National Park Service Public Health Program.
---

There is a lot of controversy over how wide spread giardia and other buggers in the water really are. I don't have microscopic vision or carry a microscope, so I prefer to play it safe and always filter the water to reduce the chances of being infected.

Diomede
03-08-2006, 01:52
High speed, try to keep up. The Army does refer to a gun as a “weapon” or as a “firearm” but not everyone is in the Army. I used the term “gun” several times so that even the slowest person can understand. Node your head if you understand.

I never claim I new everything about gun but I do know the basic fundamentals of marksmanship that don’t change. Please don’t confuse the two.

As I said prior, the Army employs both men and women – not “army chicks”. Try to keep up. I’m not trying to judge you but maybe you should stop thinking so much about farm animals in replace of women. Just a thought.

Wolf

Wolf, I find a few problems with you and what you have said:
High speed? Even the slowest person? Are you attempting to bring intelligence into this? Don't mistake my clarifying your terms for some sort of confusion. I "node" my head at you.

From what you said I figured you "new" all there was to know so that's why you were stating your opinion as if it were fact. You must be stupid. Don't confuse knowledge with intelligence. They are not interchangable, you may be knowledgable, but still be stupid.

I'm not sure what overly conservative part of the nation you are from but around here where people don't get upset about stupid ***** like referring to females as 'chicks.' It is a very common term both sexes use. not just a thought, but a fact. I guess you did not know that, but now you have no excuse. I apologize for assuming you had this kind of knowledge, I guess it was another area in which you were lacking. See look I've just done you a favor by enlightening you, so stop being so uptight.

Of all weapons carried, how many are actually illegal? I guess you have no knowledge of the legality of firearms, only "basic fandamentals of marksmanship" (which by the way is a redundant, grammatically incorrect term). Once again your lack of knowledge is evident.
You are truly preaching to the wrong crowd, how many problems arise from backpackers who exercise their 'right-to-carry'? I believe more problems stem not from the hikers but the millions of other Americans who have access to the trail. So preach on, but know that your words fall upon deaf ears. Live with that. Oh and don't be a b!tch and try to argue anymore, it has become pointless.

Just Jeff
03-08-2006, 02:38
I'm not sure what overly conservative part of the nation you are from but around here where people don't get upset about stupid ***** like referring to females as 'chicks.' It is a very common term both sexes use. not just a thought, but a fact.

Not a part of the country - it's a military thing. We employ professional men and women and it's not appropriate to refer to troops as "chicks" in a professional sense. I think that's the point Wolf was trying to make, and I have to side with him on that. That said, I don't get offended when folks talk about "Air Force chicks" and "Army dudes" unless it's a professional setting.

And I think his point about guns being illegal didn't refer to the type of gun, but rather where it's being carried. Concealed weapons aren't allowed in some areas, in most states without a permit (and most hikers aren't going to apply for a permit for each state along the trail), and in National Parks. Therefore, carrying them there is illegal.

Not trying to defend everything he said or how he said it, but those two points can easily get lost in the flames blowing around this thread.

But I thought this thread was about hiking gear you won't use...

Wolf - 23000
03-08-2006, 05:37
So, Mr Wolf. Are we then to assume that you do not approve of anyone, whoever they are, for whatever their reasons, legally or otherwise, carrying a firearm when hiking? I have recently retired from a 36+ year law enforcement carreer. I don't think I need your approval, or that of any other person, to carry a weapon anywhere in the United States (with very few exceptions). Read this: http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html (http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html) and this: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218.cfm (http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218.cfm).

Mr Fiddler,

Sorry for the late reply. I missed your posted. With that said, I’m against hikers who illegally carry a weapon on a popular trail such as the AT. There is a time and place for everything. And no you don't need my approvals but as someone who spent 36+ years in law enforcement you of all people should know better.

Is the exemption provided by the law total— can I now carry anywhere at any time?
The new law exempts all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State and local laws with respect to the carrying of concealed firearms. These officers are not exempt from Federal law or regulation, which governs the carriage of firearms onto aircraft, Federal buildings, Federal property, and national parks. In addition, State (not local) laws which prohibit the carriage of firearms onto State or local government property and State (not local) laws which allow private entities to prohibit firearms on their private property would still apply to qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218faq.cfm (http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218faq.cfm)

The AT of course goes through 8 national forest and 6 national parks. What kind of example are you setting if you are putting your self above the law?

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
03-08-2006, 07:12
Just Jeff, Thank you for saying that and you are right this is a thread about hiking gear not one on “guns”. I’m not easily offended either but to use the term “Army chick” in a public form is not appropriate.

Diomede, if your going to dish it out then you should also be able to take it and if you are going to ask a question at least give the person a chance to answer it, especially if your calling in question how knowledge the person is or not. I think Just Jeff best answer your question about all firearms being illegal. Also, on the AT, there are posted signs all over telling hikers carrying fire arms is illegal – offender are subject to fines and possible jail time.

As for your question how many problems arose from hikers carrying, I can name to at least two incidents that someone was serious injured from someone illegally carrying a weapon on the AT – both had no criminally intention a thru-hiker who accidentally shot himself, and a girl hiking with her boyfriend who was accidentally hit by someone having fun with his gun.

Wolf

Fiddler
03-08-2006, 14:59
Mr Fiddler,
Sorry for the late reply. I missed your posted. With that said, I’m against hikers who illegally carry a weapon on a popular trail such as the AT. There is a time and place for everything. And no you don't need my approvals but as someone who spent 36+ years in law enforcement you of all people should know better. Wolf
Mr. Wolf:
As I said in a previous post I would not carry a firearm when hiking even though the legal right may exist. I have not carried a firearm since I retired. See the quote from myself below. This would apply to hiking anywhere, not just the AT. The only exception would be in hog country where there is a large hog population and they are known to be a problem. Hogs will sometimes attack without provocation. And exactly what should I of all people know better?

(Not that I would take a firearm on the trail, just that I could if I wanted to).

Is the exemption provided by the law total— can I now carry anywhere at any time?
The new law exempts all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State and local laws with respect to the carrying of concealed firearms. These officers are not exempt from Federal law or regulation, which governs the carriage of firearms onto aircraft, Federal buildings, Federal property, and national parks. In addition, State (not local) laws which prohibit the carriage of firearms onto State or local government property and State (not local) laws which allow private entities to prohibit firearms on their private property would still apply to qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.
Wolf
Did I not state there are exceptions where a firearm cannot be carried even by those eligible under the law? (and give a link so anyone interested can read it for themselves?)

carry a weapon anywhere in the United States (with very few exceptions). Read this: http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html and this: http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/hr218.cfm.

The AT of course goes through 8 national forest and 6 national parks. What kind of example are you setting if you are putting your self above the law?
Wolf
There are certain places firearms have never (in recent history) been allowed, such as national parks and airplanes, just to mention two. There are a few others also. But will you please tell me, if you can, how you think I am putting myself above the law?

terrapin05
03-08-2006, 16:45
Acid washed blue jeans and a mullet

Wolf - 23000
03-08-2006, 18:03
Fiddler,

Maybe it the way I read your post but your statement, “I don't think I need your approval, or that of any other person, to carry a weapon anywhere in the United States (with very few exceptions).” came across to me that you felt you were free to carry a gun on the AT if you choose. We are not talking about grand stand America, we are talking about guns on a very popular trail. Your “very few exceptions” happen to include a large portion of the Appalachian Trail making it still illegal for even you. As for my statement, “What kind of example are you setting if you are putting your self above the law?” First I’m glad you don’t carry a gun on the trail. I never said you would, but what kind of example would it set for a man of 36+ years were to be illegal carrying a weapon on the trail?

Wolf

crackwhore
03-08-2006, 20:27
Who in the world would bring one of these. I would not even use on if I was camping in the backyard.

crackwhore
03-08-2006, 20:31
you need to go to sierratradingpost.com. they have all on sale.

Fiddler
03-08-2006, 20:39
Fiddler,

Maybe it the way I read your post but your statement, “I don't think I need your approval, or that of any other person, to carry a weapon anywhere in the United States (with very few exceptions).” came across to me that you felt you were free to carry a gun on the AT if you choose. We are not talking about grand stand America, we are talking about guns on a very popular trail. Your “very few exceptions” happen to include a large portion of the Appalachian Trail making it still illegal for even you. As for my statement, “What kind of example are you setting if you are putting your self above the law?” First I’m glad you don’t carry a gun on the trail. I never said you would, but what kind of example would it set for a man of 36+ years were to be illegal carrying a weapon on the trail?

Wolf
I could carry on a large part of the AT and be legal. How long is the trail? How many of those miles go through National Park lands? The way I read the maps it is less than 300. I could not carry a firearm in the National Park areas, but they represent a small percentage of the total AT miles. But as far as carrying just because I can, I am just short of 3 years retired. I have yet to carry a firearm for even one day. The exception would be, as I stated earlier, in hog country with known problems. But I have no plans of going anywhere like that anymore.
If you worry about firearms on the trail consider how many people carry on the streets. Estimates as high as 12-15% are not uncommon for many areas, even higher for the "inner city" areas. You have the right to be anti-gun, just as I have the right to be pro-gun. Just don't be so vehement in expressing your views.

Fiddler

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 20:41
I carry all the time. No biggie. Nobody asks, I don't tell.

The Desperado
03-09-2006, 18:37
Gee, I thought "golite",midgets,BIG guns,polls,hammocks,tents-large ones, tent stack hammers,axe's,cell phones,ipods,gaiters,a couple of handy midgets,deodorant,soap,frying pans,pots-lrge. ones, dogs[especially ones that run loose], cats,most especially trolls & whiners,crampons,ice axe's,and a nice assortment of titanimum "stuff" was absolutely essential for a good hike!!!!

Heater
03-09-2006, 18:47
Gee, I thought "golite",midgets,BIG guns,polls,hammocks,tents-large ones, tent stack hammers,axe's,cell phones,ipods,gaiters,a couple of handy midgets,deodorant,soap,frying pans,pots-lrge. ones, dogs[especially ones that run loose], cats,most especially trolls & whiners,crampons,ice axe's,and a nice assortment of titanimum "stuff" was absolutely essential for a good hike!!!!

If you really have an opening for a "handy midget' lemme know. :)

Wolf - 23000
03-10-2006, 00:33
Fiddler,

The AT is 2,174.6 miles going through 8 national forest and 6 national parks. I don't know how many miles it is totally in Nation parks but between The Smokies Mt, Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah National Park is about 300 miles. Add in the rest and it will be a good portion more than the three hundred your figure on but any way.

Lone Wolf,

With everything you carry in your pack, you have enough in your pack. Just throw a few rocks that you like to carry at the bad guys. After hitting someone a few time, they should get the message.

Wolf - 23000
03-10-2006, 00:35
If you really have an opening for a "handy midget' lemme know. :)

What do we need midget for??? The only good thing their usefull is for causing trouble. There should be a law against all midgets. lol :)

Wolf

Lone Wolf
03-10-2006, 08:27
Fiddler,

The AT is 2,174.6 miles going through 8 national forest and 6 national parks. I don't know how many miles it is totally in Nation parks but between The Smokies Mt, Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah National Park is about 300 miles. Add in the rest and it will be a good portion more than the three hundred your figure on but any way.

Lone Wolf,

With everything you carry in your pack, you have enough in your pack. Just throw a few rocks that you like to carry at the bad guys. After hitting someone a few time, they should get the message.
I bought a new Glock model 30. .45 cal. the other day. Gonna carry it on my upcoming hike. Only weighs 24oz.

lbbrown
03-10-2006, 12:55
I bought a new Glock model 30. .45 cal. the other day. Gonna carry it on my upcoming hike. Only weighs 24oz. Don't let Panzer know!(lol)

My w.o.c. is the Kahr P-45. check it out www.kahr.com (http://www.kahr.com)

Lone Wolf
03-10-2006, 13:07
Nice. Lighter than the Glock. How much $?

AbeHikes
03-10-2006, 13:30
I don't feel a need to carry on the trail, but if I did I would. I carried for 3 years as a city police officer after I EAS'ed from the USMC.

My Glock's a 27, but I would probably only bring my S&W airweight .38 if I decided to carry.

lbbrown
03-10-2006, 13:43
Nice. Lighter than the Glock. How much $?
$775-$825.

SGTdirtman
03-10-2006, 14:50
I dont hike without my M4, though conserving ammo is a major concern while on the trail so I generally keep it on semi auto fire. For more close quarters combat I carry a tactical 870 marine magnum with at least 6 extra shells. For a sidearm I stick with the classic 1911. A bit heavier but worth it for the reliability and stopping power. I also travel in small groups and generally have one man carry a M249 SAW for suppressing fire and occasionally a JAR in 308 or 300WSM though I have been known to order a 300RUM be carried depending on the need for penetration. also a few flashbangs and frag grenades....

While on the AT I always like to have good support so I generally have the 10th moutain division light infantry provide backup. My first choice is always the 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta but those guys are rarely available. I've yet to need air support but I do keep a radio handy just in case...

Nightwalker
03-10-2006, 18:11

Wolf
You can't successfully argue with TOW or Eyahiker. They may well be the same person, even.

2Discover
03-10-2006, 18:26
cell phone (hate them)
GPS (I kinda like not knowing exactly where I am)
Guitar
ipod
thermarest
travel pillow
cotton

betic4lyf
03-10-2006, 18:58
people keep on forgetting the lightsaber for on trail protection. those things are quite light. Numchuks are still pretty light thoug:banana

No Belay
03-10-2006, 19:24
Orange trowel
Space blanket
Fire starters
Signal mirror
8 Track Walkman

Just Jeff
03-10-2006, 19:33
Numchuks are still pretty light thoug

Yeah, but you gotta have skills for those. This hiking gang was recruiting me a while back cause I have skills with a bo staff, though. It's an ultralight hiking/bo staff that was blessed with Jardine's force, but I still had skills with it. Gotta have skills.

But if a lightsaber could kill that dancing banana I probably get one. :mad:

Alligator
03-10-2006, 19:59
You can't successfully argue with TOW or Eyahiker. They may well be the same person, even.
Nope. Different people.

Tin Man
03-10-2006, 20:38
people keep on forgetting the lightsaber for on trail protection. those things are quite light. Numchuks are still pretty light thoug:banana

I like the lightsaber myself. It is very readily available in a hurry and never misfires. When you need to use it there is no bloody mess because it seers closed any wounds as it passes through flesh. It is really handy for stopping mice in their tracks as they dash past you at night. You can even use it to heat soup in a pinch.

Just Jeff
03-10-2006, 22:37
Yeah, but you can't play miceball with a lightsaber like you can with my hiking bo. Skills.

clicker
03-10-2006, 23:30
I have been shot,(in the arm and the butt) and I own guns. I enjoy target shooting, and hunting. However I do not intend to carry on my hike. For me it does not embody the meaning of the hike. For others who want to carry a firearm, I say let them.

The Desperado
03-11-2006, 00:03
The Glock # 36 is a nice little 45acp & easy to carry. I have for a number of years now. I also like my little S& W model 36.very small, really easy to carry........my fav is however the glock # 23.what a great all around carry weapon....

Wolf - 23000
03-11-2006, 00:09
I bought a new Glock model 30. .45 cal. the other day. Gonna carry it on my upcoming hike. Only weighs 24oz.

L. Wolf, I know there are midget out there do you feel the need to carry a gun. Couldn't you do someone else like step on them instead?:-?

Wolf

workboot
03-11-2006, 01:04
GE Mini Gun...........hey its kinda heavy....but "They Bring Good Things To Life"......ammo maildrops are a bitch for the little saw though :banana :D

darkstar
04-02-2006, 12:49
My 12" cast iron skillet... Although it does make great ham and eggs!
My compact .40 cal Taurus PT140... It's super small, 10+1, fits in pocket and would be great on the trail if I felt like I needed it.

At 6'3" 225lbs I'm not really afraid of anything other that the memory of my mom tring to beat my ass with my Easton aluminum hockey stick after I smacked my sister in the head with an old school rotory telephone. Did I mention I was only 12 at the time?

Unless you carry the gun in you hand or in a position where you can get to it in under a second, it's useless... Why not just dress up in camo and walk the trails with a AR-15

darkstar

wilderness bob
04-02-2006, 13:08
Cell PhoneFrying

wilderness bob
04-02-2006, 13:08
Cell Phone
Frying Pan
D

wilderness bob
04-02-2006, 13:13
sorry, I goofed, more stuff

D cell flashlights
any thing by the gallon unless it is wine, water or beer.

sdoownek
04-02-2006, 14:49
tvp
Everything else I can understand on this entire diatribal thread. People have strong opinions on everything. But TVP? Who has an opinion on TVP?!

Just Jeff
04-02-2006, 15:21
Apparently he does.

sdoownek
04-02-2006, 15:28
Yeah, I get that. But why? The rest of the things mentioned, like guns, cell phone, candle lanterns, hiking poles, etc, I can understand.

But TVP? I just don't get how somebody could have such a strong conviction about NOT taking TVP. While I'm not a vegetarian, I understand that TVP is a source of protein for those who are.

Doctari
04-02-2006, 16:52
Electric Dog Polisher. :p

How then will you Polish your Electric Dog?

erichlf
04-02-2006, 17:56
A backpack with a frame
Boots
Cell Phone (I don't even have one anyway)
Oh and I will never say I will never.

erichlf
04-02-2006, 17:59
A backpack with a frame
Boots
Cell Phone (I don't even have one anyway)
Oh and I will never say I will never.
and I won't carry a Gun

harmonioushand
04-02-2006, 18:29
Many of you said not to bring water filter or alcohol stove. I would think that these could really be necessary at times. If no stove is it ok just to make a small fire to cook with? And for water are there many springs to drink from (I'm doing VT and NH)? Or can you just fill up at towns along the way? Someone also said guitar, but I am planning on bringing a Montana travel guitar this summer on the AT. Although it is a total luxary item I think would be great to play at the camp or in the morning or at breaks. I think the AT would inspire some great music, and if I'm not bringing a mp3 player it would be even better sounding after a long days walk.

bulldog49
04-02-2006, 21:08
Many of you said not to bring water filter or alcohol stove. I would think that these could really be necessary at times. If no stove is it ok just to make a small fire to cook with? And for water are there many springs to drink from (I'm doing VT and NH)? Or can you just fill up at towns along the way? Someone also said guitar, but I am planning on bringing a Montana travel guitar this summer on the AT. Although it is a total luxary item I think would be great to play at the camp or in the morning or at breaks. I think the AT would inspire some great music, and if I'm not bringing a mp3 player it would be even better sounding after a long days walk.

I did not say I'd never carry a stove, I just will never carry an alchol stove. I prefer the efficiency and convenience of a gas stove.

If a water source looks OK, ie a clear running spring above roads, pastures or other areas of civilization I don't treat it.

hobbit
04-03-2006, 08:50
who needs a gun just bring a knife :)

RockyTrail
04-03-2006, 10:01
Someone also said guitar, but I am planning on bringing a Montana travel guitar this summer on the AT. Although it is a total luxary item I think would be great to play at the camp or in the morning or at breaks. I think the AT would inspire some great music, and if I'm not bringing a mp3 player it would be even better sounding after a long days walk.

I wish you the best, but your viewpoint may change once you get there.

I love to play music, and have taken stringed instruments on hikes a couple times, but it can be real a hassle with moisture, physical damage, etc.
Yeah, it's OK around a campfire, but in the morning?
I just want to get up and get on my way!
(On the other hand, car camping lends itself much better to this)
Make sure you know how to play if you're around others, please be considerate. Happy Trails!:sun

icemanat95
04-03-2006, 11:29
I've carried an awful lot of weird things while hiking, so I don't rule too much out anymore...maybe a couch or La-Z-Boy...I'm pretty sure I'd never carry something like that.

All depends on the sort of hike.

bulldog49
04-03-2006, 13:30
Someone also said guitar, but I am planning on bringing a Montana travel guitar this summer on the AT. Although it is a total luxary item I think would be great to play at the camp or in the morning or at breaks.

Remember the scene in "Animal House" when Bluto is coming down the stairs and the guy is playing that sappy song on his guitar? If you pull a guitar out and start strumminhg away in the am, or late evening, I envision the same thing happening to you.

jlb2012
04-03-2006, 14:08
I've carried an awful lot of weird things while hiking, so I don't rule too much out anymore...maybe a couch or La-Z-Boy...I'm pretty sure I'd never carry something like that.

All depends on the sort of hike.

well I don't think I would ever carry it but I sure would like to use it when camping : http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/00/38/84/p003884sq01.jpg

icemanat95
04-03-2006, 14:18
Remember the scene in "Animal House" when Bluto is coming down the stairs and the guy is playing that sappy song on his guitar? If you pull a guitar out and start strumminhg away in the am, or late evening, I envision the same thing happening to you.

What you didn't see on Animal House is the likely reaction to someone smashing a beloved musical instrument on someone, the part where the broken neck of the guitar was shoved forcefully up the offending idiot's posterior.

In reality, no-one would dare bust up your instrument on you. Most people who say things like that on the Internet wouldn't have the courage (or stupidity) to do so in real life, where a ticked off musician might be likely to actually DO something in response.

If you want to play your instrument while unwinding at the end of the day and you are sharing camping space (be it a campsite or a shelter area), ask those you are sharing with and make it clear that you will not play if anyone has any objections. If someone hesitates to say "OK" take that as a "I really could live without this, but I don't want to be the jackass here," and don't play. Some people may be dissappointed, but no sense making anyone unhappy.

I sang a lot on the trail (I think), but almost never at a campsite. It was always when I was hiking and I had a fair idea if there was anyone around. Not everyone is going to like your music, so don't subject them to it if they do not.

bulldog49
04-03-2006, 15:48
Lighten up Francis! :rolleyes:

the goat
04-03-2006, 17:13

"i gave my love a cherry,
that had no stone.

i gave my love a chicken,
that had no bone......":D

fiddlehead
04-03-2006, 21:07
Although i didn't read every page on this thread, I noticed so many said GPS, most of them, (that i know of) have not hiked the CDT or a lot out west where there is often no trail. I am one of those who believe my GPS is more important than my stove and fuel, (or hat, sunglasses, and bandana) Of course i don't hike on the AT as much as before.
I would add underwear (short) to the original post. It is one piece of gear that i haven't worn since my first thru-hike. The trail teaches us so many things.

Mags
04-04-2006, 12:08
Although i didn't read every page on this thread, I noticed so many said GPS, most of them, (that i know of) have not hiked the CDT or a lot out west where there is often no trail.

For most of my off trail hiking, I find a GPS to be less useful. Out west, I find it actually EASIER to navigate off trail than back East. Go off trail back East, and you are surrounded by trees! Here? Lesse..look at map. Ah...that's Whatsamattau Peak!

WHere I do find a GPS handy is in Utah. Pop above the canyon rims and it is mainly featureless terrain. Triangulating out there is sometimes difficult to say the least.

As always, YMMV.

cbert
04-04-2006, 12:14
last thing I want is something requiring batteries and a satellite signal to function, plus just seems like extra weight and expense to me. I'm fine in Sierras most of the time without even a compass. Like having a topo map though.

doubt I'll ever have a chair while backpacking, though where bear cannisters are required I do appreciate having it to sit on.

Sassafras Lass
02-23-2010, 12:58
Goodness - a lot of tempers here on this thread! I'm not opposed to guns on the AT or guns at all - what I am opposed to is ignorance and stupidity and immaturity, and people with such qualities having firearms.

Considering that this is WhiteBlaze.net, I am always surprised when people come here and talk about all manner of other situations, trails, climates, and the gear necessary for THOSE forays, rather than the AT. Not saying it's not welcome, just that when I read questions, I automatically assume that people are asking questions relevant to the AT and not hiking some trail out West or wherever. I'll go to backpacker.com if I want to read about that.

Gear I Don't Deem Necessary for Hiking:

GPS
Cell phone
Excessive cookware - possibly cookware in general
"Camping" gear, such as marshmallow sticks, chairs, etc.
Cotton clothing

Just off the top of my head . . . . . I certainly would not hike without a shelter, without a sleeping bag, without appropriate sturdy footwear. I like to keep things natural but am torn regarding water treatment - I certainly don't want to be forced to take zero days due to acquired "mud butt." :p

Gray Blazer
02-23-2010, 13:01
hammock
anything titanium
gore tex
hydration thingy
alcohol stove
tarp
gps

I'll confess to the water filter, but to everything else ...no way.

I do have titanium screws in my right knee.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2010, 13:02
I'll confess to the water filter, but to everything else ...no way.

I do have titanium screws in my right knee.

Whoops, I do have a walking stick. Two outa nine ain't bad.:D

mweinstone
02-23-2010, 13:13
matthewski wont ever carry these:

booze for dude
money for dude
candy for dude
food for dude
fuel for dude
pen and paper for dude
cell for dude
phone numbers and data book for dude
tobbaco for dude
share of jesters moms baked goods for dude
anything dude wants me to hold for a second for dude
test strips and lanchets for dude
lip balm for dude
dog leashes for dude
filters for dude
cell chargers for dude
credit cards for dude
keys for dude

Rocket Jones
02-23-2010, 13:16
LOL This thread was revived from 2006, so things are going to be different.

As far as a cell phone not being a necessity, I agree, to a point. I will always have one in my pack, turned off, for emergency purposes. I often check it once a day, in the evening, to see if any important phone messages were left. To me, a family emergency is important enough to haul around those few ounces of evil technology.

SouthMark
02-23-2010, 13:31
hammock
anything titanium
gore tex
hydration thingy
alcohol stove
tarp
gps

Actually if you have em you will use em. Some may not be necessary for your particular style of hiking but they all are usable and are used. I use all except gore tex, water filter or treatment, hydration thingy and GPS. Actuall you could add backpack, hiking shoes/boots, stove of any kind, down of any kind, fleece of any kind, silnylon of any kind, etc. Just go like Emma Gatewood if it makes you feel more macho.

fehchet
02-23-2010, 13:44

booze for dude
money for dude
candy for dude
food for dude
fuel for dude
pen and paper for dude
cell for dude
tobbaco for dude
lip balm for dude
dog leashes for dude
filters for dude
cell chargers for dude
credit cards for dude
keys for dude

Is "dude" another one of your persona's you have created?

Don H
02-23-2010, 14:05

booze for dude
money for dude
candy for dude
food for dude
fuel for dude
pen and paper for dude
cell for dude
tobbaco for dude
lip balm for dude
dog leashes for dude
filters for dude
cell chargers for dude
credit cards for dude
keys for dude

Some of this stuff I carry for me but I ain't carrying it for no DUDE!
DUDE can carry his own stuff.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2010, 15:06
Is "dude" another one of your persona's you have created?

Bfitz??------

kanga
02-23-2010, 15:07
Goodness - a lot of tempers here on this thread! I'm not opposed to guns on the AT or guns at all - what I am opposed to is ignorance and stupidity and immaturity, and people with such qualities having firearms.

Considering that this is WhiteBlaze.net, I am always surprised when people come here and talk about all manner of other situations, trails, climates, and the gear necessary for THOSE forays, rather than the AT. Not saying it's not welcome, just that when I read questions, I automatically assume that people are asking questions relevant to the AT and not hiking some trail out West or wherever. I'll go to backpacker.com if I want to read about that.

Gear I Don't Deem Necessary for Hiking:

GPS
Cell phone
Excessive cookware - possibly cookware in general
"Camping" gear, such as marshmallow sticks, chairs, etc.
Cotton clothing

Just off the top of my head . . . . . I certainly would not hike without a shelter, without a sleeping bag, without appropriate sturdy footwear. I like to keep things natural but am torn regarding water treatment - I certainly don't want to be forced to take zero days due to acquired "mud butt." :p

and how awesome that you resurrected the hate after 4 years of incubation...

skinny minnie
02-23-2010, 15:50

I just spit out my drink laughing at this.

mweinstone
02-23-2010, 16:07
the dude,aka bfitz is just a land sherpa.unlike a mountain sherpa, he requires his own sherpa above an 8 degree incline.and hes my best friend.

fehchet
02-23-2010, 16:50
bfitz -- boy finally in the zone

Chaco Taco
02-23-2010, 17:16

Bravo Kanga
http://www.shoprockamerica.com/image.php?productid=2935

Chaco Taco
02-23-2010, 17:17
the dude,aka bfitz is just a land sherpa.unlike a mountain sherpa, he requires his own sherpa above an 8 degree incline.and hes my best friend.

He is a car sherpa!

Sassafras Lass
02-23-2010, 18:03
:confused: Well, excuse me. I'm still new to this forum and was simply browsing, came across this thread, and didn't remotely realize that this thread was a few years old.

Thanks for reminding me to steer clear of you, Kanga.

kanga
02-23-2010, 18:06
:confused: Well, excuse me. I'm still new to this forum and was simply browsing, came across this thread, and didn't remotely realize that this thread was a few years old.

Thanks for reminding me to steer clear of you, Kanga.

you're more than welcome. and here's another tip: reading comprehension, like common sense, should not be listed under superpowers.

mudhead
02-23-2010, 18:18
you're more than welcome. and here's another tip: reading comprehension, like common sense, should not be listed under superpowers.

Be nice. People don't deserve this. Even if you think they do.

kanga
02-23-2010, 18:24
she's been snarky to me a couple of times. i'll say what i want. but thanks, dad.

Just Dan
02-23-2010, 18:43
I didn't know bumping threads mattered that much.

things i'll never use when hiking

deodorant
dignity
pants

AUhiker90
02-23-2010, 18:57
hammock
cell phone
whiskey in the winter
less than 3 cans of cope

kanga
02-23-2010, 19:04
wait. you leave the liquor home in the winter?

AUhiker90
02-23-2010, 19:09
No hypothermia for me but when spring rolls around its another story. Id rather have a toke if necessary.

Rockhound
02-23-2010, 19:09
That's just crazy talk.

Chaco Taco
02-23-2010, 19:16
No hypothermia for me but when spring rolls around its another story. Id rather have a toke if necessary.

AUhiker90
02-23-2010, 19:20
A shoulder tap is also apart of whiskey so i may want but i may not get.

kanga
02-23-2010, 19:34
i have no idea what is going on here.