PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow - Overmountain Shelter & Bradley Gap?

DownYonder
08-14-2018, 09:02
Going from Carvers Gap to US 19 tomorrow. Does anyone know how much water flow @ Overmountain Shelter and the piped spring that is .4 miles before Bradly Gap close to the tent sites (between Little Hump and Bradley)? THANKS!!

Tennessee Viking
08-14-2018, 09:18
Its been wet here in WNC and E. Tenn for the last couple weeks.

Gambit McCrae
08-14-2018, 09:19
Overmountain: The old forrest road continues down for aprox 1 mile to a parking lot. All along the way are little water sources, if 1 is dry continue on down to the next. If you get all the way to the parking lot, there is a creek there.

Bradley Gap: NO current updates on guthooks however a previous August comment says it was bone dry this week in 16'

If all else fails, Doll flats is great tenting, and offers a reliable water source.

hikewithgravity
08-14-2018, 09:59
2016 was a bad drought year. I would be very surprised if water wasn’t flowing at Bradley Gap this year. As Tennessee Viking pointed out, we’ve had decent rainfall this year. The Smokies were very wet when I was there two weeks ago.

Gambit McCrae
08-14-2018, 10:43
2016 was a bad drought year. I would be very surprised if water wasn’t flowing at Bradley Gap this year. As Tennessee Viking pointed out, we’ve had decent rainfall this year. The Smokies were very wet when I was there two weeks ago.

True that, Last weekend in Grayson Highlands the trail was a creek and or flooded most of the time

Starchild
08-14-2018, 12:46
Also check out the Guthook app, people sometimes list the water source condition and the date they visited it.

DownYonder
08-14-2018, 17:36
We live in the Elk Garden/Mt Rogers area. Really wet here with lots of springs currently producing that rarely do. The only reason I asked was due to a comment on Guthook on 7/1..."Barely flowing - no water out of pipe............ " That just threw up a red flag so I thought I would ask. I have since re-read the comment and think he was talking about the small stream .3 miles away that Guthook shows as marginal. Thanks!