PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic WhiteBlaze Style

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 16:54
Heres a thought I came up with as a nice way to welcome and wish the best to all the Class of 2006.Its something thats done at Miss Janets everyday,
I hope you all don't mind a little Trail Magic to go with it (since you're not in the woods enjoying Nature if you're reading this :) )
For the first 14 Class of 2006ers to post on this thread and share your name (if you wish) where you're from and what inspired you to hike the Trail I will send you a FREE 'Class of 2006' (pocket size) T Shirt Transfer and a WhiteBlaze window sticker .After you make your post to this thread just send me your mailing address and I will ship your 'Stuff' :) .I'm hoping that this thread will continue after the 14 Winners as I love to hear about "what inspires us to do this thing we do'
So don't be shy
Git R Done
Heres a pic of what the Transfers and Window (or Nalgene) Stickers look like .
fredor111.tripod.com/503299f0.jpg (http://fredor111.tripod.com/503299f0.jpg)

Good luck to you all on your Journeys!!! Losta Magic along the way too!

Fishinfred

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2006, 17:07
Gee, Fred, what a nice idea.

Send my sticker to Janet!

Cheesewhiz
02-18-2006, 17:35
I'll be happy to share a little with ya. I grew up here backpacking on the PA rocks through scouts and grew a special fondness to the trail but what really inspired me to hike is all the years I spent with my grandparents who live in TN near watauga lake. To get to their house we had to drive through Damascus when we got off I-81. I would always see hikers! I started visiting them when I was very young and I guess just repition is key. One year my grandparents took me to backbone rock, this is where I told my grandmother, that has since past, I would eventually thru-hike. Well other than that this is my year, I told work 3 years ago and they are holding my position at work and are fully aware of no deadline.

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 17:54
Thats Awsome thanks for sharing that with everybody and the best of luck to you on your hike this year! Your #1 and I will ship your items monday !
Since I started this.......
Ive grown up playin in the Michigan forests and have lotsa family in TN ,as a kid I used to look at those mts down south and wonder what it would be like up there .I ve camped out & hiked thru the woods all my life but the AT slipped my mind I guess until.......
I had just had surgery on my shoulder and was feeling quite worthless and I saw the PBS special on 'CRAZY ONE' and I thought by god I can walk I could do that ...6 months later I was out there and the Trail got into my blood and hasnt left yet .
Best thing I ever did ! Ive hiked 1600 miles the past few years and hope to go all the way in 08 or 09.But I'll be out there Hiking sections as often as I can until then .
Keep those posts coming I'd like to ship out all this stuff !
FF

Nean
02-18-2006, 18:41
Fond memories of camping and my only previous backpacking trip to Philmont planted the seed. It sprouted 13 years later when I "discovered" the trail while browsing through a Readers Digest in the readin room! 6 weeks later I was standing on Katahdin, heading south, on an adventure that has never ended!
Thanks FF, save the postage, I'll see ya soon enough.:)

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 18:52
Hey Jack just my way of givin back a little for all the magic Ive found along the way these past few years and I'm not talkin about just the goodies , some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life I met on my journeys along the Trail ,not to mention the magic of the Trail itself.I LOVE IT!

So what year was that Jack '42':) send me a PM I need to ask ya somethin about Trail Days this year.
Thanks
1 down 13 to go
Whos next?

Mother Nature
02-18-2006, 21:25
I'm not next Fishin Fred but I sure would love to be doing a thru in 2006 if I could! I want to second Jack in saying this is a generous offer. Fred has been a great trail friend to me personally and I think he is one the true Trail Angels around. He ranks at the top of my favorate trail friends.

Look forward to running into you on the trail, Fred. When are you heading to Albert Mtn?

Mother Nature

Nean
02-18-2006, 21:56
:( Hey FF, did I get snubbed? :eek:

BW2006
02-18-2006, 22:09
Hey Fishin Fred,

I'm Barbie and I live in Hunterdon County, NJ.
My father exposed me to hiking and took me often. He always spoke about long distance hiking on the AT but never got around to it. About 5 years ago I got very interested in backpacking and began to care for a shelter in Harriman Park, NY. I met many thru hikers and decided then that I would head out in the spring of 2006. i've been a stay at home mom for 20 years and it's the first time both of my boys are out of high school and I am free to do my thing (my husband is a saint for supporting me) so mid-March off I go!!!

This web site has been unbelievably informative and I feel so much more prepared since I have found it. It's nice to feel a part of the community of hikers that love the AT. I look forward to meeting some of you on the trail!

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 22:22
Nean You must have posted while I was writing the post to Jack .Thank u for sharing your inspirations and the postage isnt a problem let me send them to make sure you get them .
Thanks again you're #2 Good luck on your Hike !

Mother Nature
You and Smokestack have been too kind , and you guys are the Trail Maintainers(the HEART of the Trails passage) and are way more involved with Trail 'Stuff' :) ! My thanks goes out to you (especially for last years Birthday Dinner in Hiawassi!)
I should be in the Franklin area around the 15th .Send me a PM we'll make plans to get together .
Thanks much!
FF

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 22:33
Hey Fishin Fred,

I'm Barbie and I live in Hunterdon County, NJ.
My father exposed me to hiking and took me often. He always spoke about long distance hiking on the AT but never got around to it. About 5 years ago I got very interested in backpacking and began to care for a shelter in Harriman Park, NY. I met many thru hikers and decided then that I would head out in the spring of 2006. i've been a stay at home mom for 20 years and it's the first time both of my boys are out of high school and I am free to do my thing (my husband is a saint for supporting me) so mid-March off I go!!!

This web site has been unbelievably informative and I feel so much more prepared since I have found it. It's nice to feel a part of the community of hikers that love the AT. I look forward to meeting some of you on the trail!

Hey Barbie
Thank you ! I hope all the walks I put my kids thru when they were little planted the same kind of seed in them that your father obviously planted with you . You sound well informed and ready to GIT R DONE .The best of luck to you and hope to see you out there .
Thanks again for sharing ! You're #3 send me your address and I will send your 'Stuff"
Your going to love the FREEDOM!
FF
Whos next....

Trooper347
02-18-2006, 22:38
Eugene, AKA Trooper
Start Date 20th March
NoBo Solo

I am originally from a small town on Long Island, N.Y., but currently live in Wesley Chapel (Tampa area) Florida. I am in part inspired to hike by my brother that is handicapped from a motorcycle accident, and through me, I am hoping to put a small spark in him to do more in life. I have no real hiking experience, but I am an avid camper, and am really looking foward to my attempt. My first taste of the AT was years ago in my youth, and I have never really given it much thought until last year, when the timing seemed right to plan a trip. As I am in my final phase of planning, with my start about a month away, I would like to thank Whiteblaze.net members and Admin for the fantastic resource that is the best on the web for planning a Thru-hike. Best of luck to those that have started their hike, and I hope to meet y'all on the trail!

Thanks FishinFred for the post, those "Class of '06" transfers look great!

fishinfred
02-18-2006, 23:03
Thank you Trooper
Rec'd your info.
The best of luck to you on your hike and best of luck on your brothers recovery!
You're #5 and I think we're off to a great start here.
Whos Next?

Smile
02-19-2006, 00:21
Smile here, I'll be next.....

My best story of why I got started is on my trailjournals first prep entry (#1) but to make a long story short....a guy a year ahead of me in HS did it, and planted the seed. I've since hiked five states on the AT, throughout the Adirondacks and also out west in AZ, enjoy it every time I head out!

Heading NOBO this spring, and I am TRULY inspired by all of those here on White Blaze and all of those hikers I have met along the trail who were thru hiking while I was sectioning. I have always admired their tenacity and determination to finish!

I hope to stand on top of Ms. K in the fall along with some of my fellow class of 06'ers and celebrate that I have joined ranks with all the former hikers I have so often admired!

I am also inspired by all the great people I met at the SoRuck, and the selfless help and recommendations freely given to me to attempt to make by journey go smoother.

All of you Class of 2006 who are still at home in your warm houses by the computer - your day is coming soon! Enjoy each moment and hope to see some of you out there on trail!

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 01:52
Thanks Smile
You will no doubt meet MANY more Great people on your journey this year ,those mountains just seem to be full of em :)
Best of luck to you! You're # 5 ! PM your info
Thanks again
Whos next ?
C'mon now Don't be shy Nobodys going to bite you in the ass here ! (as Miss J would say :) )

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 12:13
Thanks to all of you who have shared so far ! I have 9 more envelopes to send out (hopefully by tomorrow morning) so who will be next ????

Rattler
02-19-2006, 14:21
Rattlers turn, Fred?
Going NOBO in March. An old guy and figure that this may be the last chance to give it a try before a "wonky" ankle gives out on me. Been looking at the idea of a thru hike for about 15 years, but could never get the time. Left work about 2 years ago to look after my ailing wiife who passed away a year ago last New Years, so now I have the time.
Looking forward to the start and meeting some interesting folk. Will use the trail name "Rattler" for the time being as I have a rattlesnake cane from the "Round-up" in Tyler TX.
Climbed Katahdin last Fall and met "Woodchuck" (he built the half-way post in PA) at the top celebrating the 20 anniversary of his thru-hike and that was motivation enough. I hope to see the class of 2006 on the trail.

mnof1000v
02-19-2006, 14:53
Kicking around here, biding time till February 28th when I fly out to Atlanta... I figure I might as well chime in.

My father was always an outdoors enthusiast. I was raised in a family of hunters and fishermen. I was out hunting deer in single digit weather and out on the water catching flounder and cod when I was seven. All that changed in 1996, when my father tragically died of a heart-attack. He was out in the woods with my brothers, doing what he loved when it happened.

After he died, my family changed. Rarely did we go out and enjoy nature. I haven't been hunting in years. However, a couple years ago, on a whim, I went up to New Hampshire, hiked Mt. Washington, and felt... well, so much like I did when I was younger, out with my father and brothers. I never realized I missed the outdoors so much. Being out on the woods on the trail brought back so many memories. I realized then that hiking is a way for me to reflect, and enjoy all the things I have and take for granted in normal life.

I'm a couple years older now, heading off to graduate school (hopefully) in the fall. I've hiked many times in New Hampshire, I've camped a lot, and I've read so much about the AT. I think this is the perfect opportunity to reconnect with the person I was, while at the same time learning who I am now, and discovering who I will become in the future. I'm young, I'm healthy, and I have the time.

AT here I come!:sun

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 15:33
Rattler (#6) You are only as old as you feel my friend ! Obviously you are feeling Sprite so go for it and best of luck !
Mn (#7) I think we all feel the same about hiking being a great way to reflect , I'm never more in tune with myself than I am while in the still of the woods
Thanks so much!
PM me your info
Step right up #8

ivanputski
02-19-2006, 18:11
OK Fred here you go. Never done a hike more then 3 days before. The time is right to give this a try. Been lurking here and over at trail journals for 2 years. To quate the Lion King "the trail fixes you" I hope to learn some new leasons and to right what is wrong. 10 days to departure. time to see whats out there and fix whats in here.:o

Thumper 2006
02-19-2006, 19:26
Hello fishinfred. My name is Josh Tapp, and I am from a small town in northern South Carolina called Greer. I am leaving from Springer on March the 4th. The first reason that I am hiking the AT is because I want to spend a little time in each state on the East coast. The main reason that I am hiking is because I love the Appalachian Mtns, always have. Being able to spend 6 months out in them just makes things even better. I hope this is what you are looking for.
Thanks.d

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 21:24
Ivanputsi (#8 ) If you've been lurking around here for 2 yrs you should be well informed Send me your info so you get this before you leave and Best of luck !

Wonderer(#9) One thing for sure in order for a good Hike 'You have to love those mts' or they're going to kick your Butt ! Best of luck to you on your journey.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys......WHOS NEXT

Left Hand
02-19-2006, 21:49
My name is Nicholas and my hike begins March 15th.

One of the earliest memories I have of the outdoors happened when I was five. My family was hiking up Greylock Mountain in the Fall. My uncle, who is nine years older than I am, sped up to walk ahead. I wanted to be a, "big boy" so I followed him. Soon, I couldn't keep up with him and I fell behind. I distinctly remember not being scared but feeling really happy and at ease ( a strange thought for a five year old who was alone and on a narrow hiking path in the woods). I had my own wilderness adventure hiking to the summit; it was the first of many in my lifetime. I have been hooked on nature and wilderness since. Fall is still my favourite season...

My thruhike has been a life-long ambition; as I am sure it has been for many other dreamers and wanderers alike.

Thanks for letting me share y'all.

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 22:12
Gummi06 (#10)

That was GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing that with us and Best of luck to you on your life-long ambition! See ya out there!

Wow, thats 10 already ....and now WHOS NEXT

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 22:14
IVAN ,RATTLER and SMILE please send your info so your 'stuff' gets sent tomorrow
Thanks
FF

CampTim
02-19-2006, 22:39
This is Will, presumably #11? Hoping to head out on March 18th for my first long distance hike. I've done a few short trips and a LOT of car-camping with the family and my summer camp, but have been dreaming about doing the AT for as long as I can remember. I think it started when I first stepped onto the AT and was blown away by the idea that it stretched 1000 miles in each direction. My love for seemingly endless paths grew on family hikes throughout New England, but the dream of hiking the Trail was solidified when I did a hike of Katahdin with my camp when I was 14. My friends and I met a thru-hiker on top who had just finished and we talked to him for a long time learning all about the Trail. On our way down, three of us planned a thru-hike later in life. Sadly, they've got "school", so I'll be starting off on my own in '06, but looking forward to meeting lots of other awesome people heading north!

fishinfred
02-19-2006, 23:12
Hi Will,
Thanks ! Too bad your friends can't make it this year to hike with you .
You will be making alot of new ones on your hike I'm sure !
Good Luck on your journey!

Will is #11 who will be next?

fishinfred
02-20-2006, 10:06
Smile - Ivan - and Will
Please send your info so I can send your 'Stuff',Thank you

Well thats 11 and I have 3 more envelopes ready to go for 2006ers who share their inspirations
After we get to 14 2006ers..... this thread will continue (hopefully)
I have an offer for you oldtimers :) .......
I'd love to hear about what inspired you to head for the Trail that 1st time !
Lets take care of 2006ers 1st
Who will be next????? Only 3 envelopes left !

Trail Yeti
02-20-2006, 11:36
Going again.....
Fred, don't count me as one of your remaining three....give the stuff to someone who hasn't hiked yet.
So here is my story: Gummi is one of my best friends...he's hiking this year. Another really good friend (Tom Moose/Grey fox) is hiking this year. My roommate Trippin' Dixie is hiking this year. So for the past couple of months all I hear about is the AT.....its the worst Springer Fever ever!!!!! Well I graduate in May....and I have the money....and I miss the trail....so I'm flip flopping. Starting sometime around/after Trail Days from Southern VA.
As for the original hike in 2002......
I was totally the kid who loved the woods. One of my first memories is going hiking with my family. When I was 13 years old my momma stopped the car in the Smokies near the AT so that I could "look" at it. I took about a 15 minute solo hike. I walked out of the woods, looked at my momma and told her that one day I was going to hike the entire AT. 13 years later I did. Now I'm doing it again.....its so addictive. Besides, it is a great place to really think, and figure out what is important to you. It helped me when I got out of the Corps, and it will help me now that college is done. BTW, the section I hiked....its that little grassy area near Clingmans Dome...........

fishinfred
02-20-2006, 15:56
Thanks for sharing with us Trail Yeti
Good luck on #2 Thru-Hike!!! Look me up when you're at Trail Days! I'll try and save ya a WhiteBlaze sticker .Thanks again
I still have 3 more 2006ers to go but no reason to not open this up for anyone who has something to share about their 'reason(s)' and inspirations of taking this little walk .....on the AT.
For those 'oldtimers' (previous hikers whethor you made it or not!) who care to share ,I'll put a bundle of WB stickers together and save em for Trail Days
and if you're going to be there look me up and get one.This is all about what gets us out there so even if you were unable to finish we just want to hear about what got you out there in the first place !
I hope you all are enjoying this as much as I !
Im sure theres a few 'seasoned' hikers out there that will have to stop and think about it 'What was the reason I did that'? Take a minute and think about it then share your inspirations for doing it that first time .
Please DO .....NEXT Anyone???

Turtle2
02-20-2006, 16:45
Hi FF,

I'm Beth. The idea was planted in my mind 10-15 yrs ago after reading someone's journal. A couple of years ago I convinced my sister to hike as much of the AT as possible in 10 days. We grew up in the woods and spend our lives camping but--let's just say my load is halfed from that 2004 hike thru GA. I got the bug and with the tolerance of my dear husband, will begin my journey the last Monday in March. I will be finishing a job about then and, as I'm self-employed, see no reason not to delay starting a new job. Timing is right.

I look forward to meeting some faces from WB on the trail and thank each of you who have contributed to shortening my learning curve. Walking in the woods--can there be much better?

fishinfred
02-20-2006, 17:17
Thank you Beth (Turtle2)
Unless you're a City Slicker like my X wife "There is nothing better in my book than the peace and solitude of a nice long walk in the woods"
Please send your info and BEST WISHES to you on your Journey
Thank you.You're #12 ONLY 2 Envelopes left !
PS
Poor City Slickers don't have a clue :)

L.Wolf,Jack,Warren,Wookie etc......I'd love to hear what got you guys started ....... :)
NEXT

fishinfred
02-20-2006, 22:34
2 more 2006ers and I'll be able to ship all 14 envelopes tomorrow.
There must be 2 more still preparing around here somewhere ....

saimyoji
02-20-2006, 22:46
My name is Nicholas and my hike begins March 15th.

Beware the ides of March...:eek:

freefall
02-20-2006, 23:01
2 more 2006ers and I'll be able to ship all 14 envelopes tomorrow.
There must be 2 more still preparing around here somewhere ....

What better way to spend the the best part of a year than hiking through some of the best scenery the country has to offer? After having to postpone a thru-hike twice, I am finally" all systems go" for this coming weekend.

Having first stepped foot on the AT at the age of 5, I have known about it's existance most of my life. But growing up I could never understand why anyone would want to spend that much time hiking. After all, hiking was about the destination. But I have come to realize that hiking, like any great adventure, is about the journey as much as, and sometimes more so, than the final destination. .
So, when I step foot on Springer next Sunday, I will have a smile on my face, anticipating every new experience waiting just around the next bend.

fishinfred
02-20-2006, 23:39
Thanks FreeFall
You must REALLY be ready this time ! Best of luck to you.Send me your info so you get this before you leave .
Have a GREAT adventure!
1 more to go for this batch of envelopes.That will make 14 2006ers who have shared their inspirations to Hike, with us .AWSOME!!!!Thanks!!!
Whos going to get the last envelope????
For ANYONE else who has something to share here on what made you decide to hike I will save ya a WB sticker to be given out at Trail Days !
This is a great thread to direct the idiots who ask"what the hell would you want to do that for?" We all have our reasons....
Whos Next?

april2006
02-20-2006, 23:41
I guess I'm the last one if no one else posts before me. I'm starting northbound April 1 :banana . This is kind of a re-centering journey for me. I hiked and backpacked alot as a kid, but I've kind of gotten away from in since "growing up". Going through a divorce and planning on changing careers. So now is a great time to re-examine my life and decide what I want to do with the time I have left here on this earth. What better place to figure things out than in the middle of God's great creation!! Best of luck to all of the class of 2006!!!

april2006
02-20-2006, 23:54
I'm from Calhoun County, West Virginia (around here there aren't really any recognizable towns so we just go by what county we live in :) ) Forgot to include that in my post.

fishinfred
02-21-2006, 00:07
Thanks April (#14)
May the Magic of the mountains bring everything together for you on your hike as it has so many others (including me) Thanks for sharing with us and Have a GREAT HIKE!!!!
Yahooooo thats 14 already! I just checked the cookie jar :) and looks like we can go on forever here ....NOT.... but I will keep the magic going for you 2006ers .......counting change ........ah lets go another 14 (its only a few bucks ) and I'm having way too much fun to let it end now.......Hmmm I seem to have said that last year somewheres.... :)
OK ON THE WAY TO 28-2006ers
Who will be #15 and whos going to be the first oldtimer to get a WB Sticker
C'mon Jack you cant get your sticker until you partake here :)
WHOS NEXT?

Nean
02-21-2006, 00:55
Left work about 2 years ago to look after my ailing wife who passed away a year ago last New Years, so now I have the time.
Will use the trail name "Rattler" for the time being as I have a rattlesnake cane from the "Round-up" in Tyler TX.

My home town has a "Round-up"? I never knew. May the fond memories of your wife hike with you.

And Fred, Guess I missed the "this years hikers part" Send mine to a 06er or I'll feel bad.

lilmountaingirl
02-21-2006, 12:36
What a great idea :) Thanks!

I'll be starting my hike on April 15th from Amicalola...so that I can be on the AT on 4/16, my 33rd birthday. I've been wanting to do this since I was about 7 years old and I wrote a list of "4 Things I Want To Do Before I Die". Well, needless to say, this is the last thing on the original list (though I have an evergrowing new one...). I never got to seriously considering it until the late 90's (and actually, I probably have to credit Baltimore Jack for making me think about it more seriously). Met him while I was working at Dirt Cowboy Cafe in Hanover, NH.

I made the decision to thru-hike last April while returning from a weekend BP trip. My career was stale and I needed a change...so voila! I decided to hike. At first I was planning on going solo...but my boyfriend (who I met on a trip to the High Peaks in June) has decided to fulfill his dream of hiking it too. Needless to say, we are ready and raring to go!

FINALLY it's my time to get out there...I can't believe it!!!

Good luck to everyone hiking and thank you to everyone posting here for the great tips, lists and ideas. :) Happy Trails!

kyhipo
02-21-2006, 12:47
What a great idea :) Thanks!

I'll be starting my hike on April 15th from Amicalola...so that I can be on the AT on 4/16, my 33rd birthday. I've been wanting to do this since I was about 7 years old and I wrote a list of "4 Things I Want To Do Before I Die". Well, needless to say, this is the last thing on the original list (though I have an evergrowing new one...). I never got to seriously considering it until the late 90's (and actually, I probably have to credit Baltimore Jack for making me think about it more seriously). Met him while I was working at Dirt Cowboy Cafe in Hanover, NH.

I made the decision to thru-hike last April while returning from a weekend BP trip. My career was stale and I needed a change...so voila! I decided to hike. At first I was planning on going solo...but my boyfriend (who I met on a trip to the High Peaks in June) has decided to fulfill his dream of hiking it too. Needless to say, we are ready and raring to go!

FINALLY it's my time to get out there...I can't believe it!!!

Good luck to everyone hiking and thank you to everyone posting here for the great tips, lists and ideas. :) Happy Trails!Good luck to you!littlemountiangirl,and enjoy yourselves nothing like life on the trail regardless where the trail is:sun ky

fishinfred
02-21-2006, 13:32
Thanks Lilmountaingirl
Please send your info and DO have a GREAT hike!Glad you moved the hike up to the top of your list instead of last ,best git R done while the gittin is good
Happy trails!
FF
(You're #15....on the way to 28 !)
Keep'em coming!
Next

fishinfred
02-22-2006, 10:33
This is a great thread to direct the idiots who ask"what the hell would you want to do that for?" We all have our reasons....
Whos Next?

I'd like to correct myself on this as I didnt mean to call anyone an idiot I just meant to say 'people who have no clue' about what inspires us to Hike the Trail . There are a couple reactions we get from NON Hikers along the way ...... How cool!....and then theres 'You must be NUTS!'
Those are the ones I refer to as 'Have'nt a clue!' :confused:
Just a figure of speech so I hope I didnt offend anyone who might be just starting to think about hiking ...and this wasnt directed at anyone in particular as I got the second reaction from at least 1-2 folks in every trail town.So I hope no one took this personal.
Keep this thread alive.....Share 'YOUR' inspiration for taking that first hike to Maine .Thanks ALL
FF
NEXT...........

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 14:29
Hello fishinfred. My name is Josh Tapp, and I am from a small town in northern South Carolina called Greer....

Small town?!! Heck, Greer was a big city to us Powdersville boys!

Best to you, Wonderer. I hope you get everything from your hike that you want and need! Take care.

Rain:sunMan

Klezmorim
02-22-2006, 15:00
Hello fishinfred. My name is Josh Tapp, and I am from a small town in northern South Carolina called Greer. I am leaving from Springer on March the 4th. The first reason that I am hiking the AT is because I want to spend a little time in each state on the East coast. The main reason that I am hiking is because I love the Appalachian Mtns, always have. Being able to spend 6 months out in them just makes things even better. I hope this is what you are looking for.
Thanks.d
Well Howdy, Wonderer!

My wife and I will be hiking from Woody to Neels on March 7-9. We live in the giant metropolis of Woodruff, SC. Maybe we'll see ya on da trail!

"MandoMan and Fanny"

fishinfred
02-23-2006, 20:00
Hey Guys I will have to stop the magic after the weekend as I'm getting ready to leave next week so YOU 2006ers who would like a class of 2006 T shirt transfer AND a WhiteBlaze.net WINDOW/Nalgene Sticker
Git r done! :) BEFORE MONDAY
I have really enjoyed the responses so far and look forward to more......
ANYONE ELSE who feels like reponding ......I'm making lots of WhiteBlaze stickers for Trail Days so feel free to 'rattle your tale' and I'll stash one for you.
2006ers just pm me your info after you post .
Happy Hiking!
FF

fishinfred
02-25-2006, 11:04
Last call for this Magic....

Post before Midnight Sunday if you would like a WB Sticker and a CLASS of 2006 heat transfer for you're hikin shirt :)
See YA out there !
Thanks again all of you who shared youir inspiratioins with us .
Its really nice to read all the different situations that ultimatly lead to the same GOAL.
Good luck 2006ers!
FF

Tortoise27
03-15-2006, 00:40
I just discovered this website. I'm leaving May 2 hiking Northbound. I've always loved hiking and camping. When I was living in Maine a few years ago, I hiked the Gulf Hagus loop trail and read a sign saying the AT ran from GA to ME and decided then I wanted to hike the whole thing. I've been plotting and planning since and this is the year.

See you all out there. I'll catch up quick.

Lion King
03-22-2006, 19:53
OK Fred here you go. Never done a hike more then 3 days before. The time is right to give this a try. Been lurking here and over at trail journals for 2 years. To quate the Lion King "the trail fixes you" I hope to learn some new leasons and to right what is wrong. 10 days to departure. time to see whats out there and fix whats in here.:o

Good luck, and have fun!
]
heres another qoute for you,

The time you spend out here is worth more then the time it takes so take your time.

Enjoy.