PDA

View Full Version : NOVA Loops / Out-And-Back

dudeijuststarted
08-21-2018, 09:21
Any suggestions for 12+ mile loop or out and back trails that aren't on the AT or just intersect with it in the northern virginia area? Waterfalls, stellar views, etc..?

tdoczi
08-21-2018, 09:38
Old Rag if you haven't done it already. and ive never done it but the nearby canyon is also supposedly very nice and is popular.

theres also that big waterfall down near the tye river, crabtree? i'm 85% sure thats it.

Crushed Grapes
08-21-2018, 10:05
theres also that big waterfall down near the tye river, crabtree? i'm 85% sure thats it.

Yeah, Crabtree Falls. It's a bit of a trek from NoVA (I'd consider it central VA honestly), but you could combine the Crabtree Hike with Spy Rock for close to 14 miles: https://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/CrabtreeFalls/

Also nearby is Three Ridges, which is a fantastic circuit with views and series of falls.

Mobius
08-21-2018, 10:19
Northern Virginia: check out the Massanutten out by Luray. Duncan/Strickler Knob; Signal Knob; .. lots of loop possibilities with the Massanutten (orange blaze), and all the criss crossy trails through there. Some nice view points but no big waterfalls there though.

HikingUpward.com will help you locate what you're looking for. They have a nice filter based on views, distance, location, etc.

tdoczi
08-21-2018, 19:25
Yeah, Crabtree Falls. It's a bit of a trek from NoVA (I'd consider it central VA honestly), but you could combine the Crabtree Hike with Spy Rock for close to 14 miles: https://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/CrabtreeFalls/

Also nearby is Three Ridges, which is a fantastic circuit with views and series of falls.

i guess i'm thinking in pure AT mileage terms, which probably isnt quite the same as straightforward geography of the state.

VA is 541 miles, the sidetrail to crabtree falls is 179.9 miles from the northern border, so basically exactly at the 1/3rd mark. so i guess its either the very southern tip of northern va or the very northern end of central va.

you can maybe also think of it in terms of the major river crossings. state line to new river, new river to james river, james river to state line.

Huntmog
08-21-2018, 23:02
I second signal knob. Fun loop with some cool views. The whole tye river area is great, but much busier and further away.

chknfngrs
08-30-2018, 07:18
close by (2 hrs away) and (not really nova) are Wolf Gap/Big Schloss area on VA/W.V. border, and Kennedy Peak outside of Luray, VA which is on the massanuffen trail... worth a looksee anyway

Crushed Grapes
08-30-2018, 11:27
close by (2 hrs away) and (not really nova) are Wolf Gap/Big Schloss area on VA/W.V. border, and Kennedy Peak outside of Luray, VA which is on the massanuffen trail... worth a looksee anyway
I did the Big Schloss/Mill Mountain loop two weeks ago. Not too shabby :)