PDA

View Full Version : ETEKCITY Filter

FIREWHATFIRE
08-21-2018, 11:49
I see on Todays Deal on Amazon they have a deal on a filtration system. Has anyone used it and is a worth the price?

Link is to the item

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Filtration-Personal-Purifier-Emergency/dp/B010DF2NZ6/ref=gbps_tit_s-4_a30e_513489bf?smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9&pf_rd_p=b8f0f356-89c5-4ce1-a781-02aac81da30e&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=P9WV03JTX6XRRQ7G7Z9D

HooKooDooKu
08-21-2018, 11:57
There was a recent and brief discussion on the ETEKCITY
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/129897-Sawyer-Water-Filters-vs-Etekcity
Obviously it's pretty cheap if you want to give it a try.
But until I hear people extolling the benefits of the Etekcity, I think I'm going to be sticking with the tried and true Sawyer.

I don't know how good it is, but I see that it comes with some pre-filters. When I first started using the Sawyer, I tried using the MSR Silt-Stopper prefilter with it. But it was a hassle having a dirty water bag connected to a tubing connected to prefilter connected to tubing connected to sawyer connected to tubing connected to clean water bag. So I just screw the dirty water bag directly to the Sawyer. The Etekcity is placing a simple "disk" prefilter between the dirty water bag and the filter. Simple setup, but I would imagine that prefilter would quickly clog up if there is much of any silt in the water (the MSR Silt-Stopper has MUCH more surface area to work with, and thicker to catch more of the smaller particals).

nsherry61
08-21-2018, 12:04
It probably works. My experience is that adding the charcoal to a 0.01 micron filter notably decreases the flow rate and back-pressure, so if you don't need the charcoal, I would go another route. If you want to filter out chemical contaminants as well as microorganisms, it looks like a decent (albeit slow) filter option assuming it lives up to its claimed specifications. The charcoal can remove some of the swampy taste from some back-country water, but is not generally considered necessary to do so for health and safety.

The description on Amazon is confusing in that it appears to suggest that the activated charcoal is key to removing microorganisms. It is not. The 0.01 micron filter element is effectively filter sterilizing the water while the activated charcoal removes many chemicals. This filter will NOT remove significant viruses. If you are concerned about viruses, you will need either a much more advanced filter system, a much smaller pore size filter that has essentially an unusably slow flow rate, or you will want to add some chemicals (like a drop of bleach) to the water after filtration to deactivate any viruses present. FWIW, viruses and chemical contaminants are not generally a concern in back-country water in North America.

DownYonder
08-21-2018, 12:09
I have one and give it mixed reviews. The filter works fine but the bag developed a hole on the third day of use. I contacted Etekcity directly and they did send me a replacement bag under warranty. I inquired about purchasing a second bag as a backup. They stated that they do not sell extra bags. I personally find it hard to go on 2-3 night trips without a second bag as a backup. I explained this to them and they simply refuse to sell extra bags. I asked what would happen if the bag I now have develops a hole a year from now.....they would not answer that question.

I now own a Sawyer with the 3 bags and I'm very happy. https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze/dp/B005EHPVQW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1534867733&sr=1-3&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

HooKooDooKu
08-21-2018, 13:37
DownYonder,

If you still have the filter, could you test to see if a standard water/soda bottle will screw onto the filter?
If so, then like the Sawyer, you can purchase 'Evernew Water Carry' bladder or 'Cnoc Outdoors Vecto' bladder as a replacement.

I use the Evernew, and it's been very reliable. I also usually carry at least two water bottles, at least one being a SmartWater bottle. The SmartWater bottle is a backup in case anything happens to the Evernew.

(P.S. I don't like the Sawyer bags because they are not translucent. I like being able to see the water I've collected so I can decide to keep it, or dump it and try again for some cleaner water).

DownYonder
08-21-2018, 14:01
DownYonder,

If you still have the filter, could you test to see if a standard water/soda bottle will screw onto the filter?
If so, then like the Sawyer, you can purchase 'Evernew Water Carry' bladder or 'Cnoc Outdoors Vecto' bladder as a replacement.

I use the Evernew, and it's been very reliable. I also usually carry at least two water bottles, at least one being a SmartWater bottle. The SmartWater bottle is a backup in case anything happens to the Evernew.

(P.S. I don't like the Sawyer bags because they are not translucent. I like being able to see the water I've collected so I can decide to keep it, or dump it and try again for some cleaner water).

Yes, they do fit a Aquifina water bottle. They don't fit the titanium water container that I carry.

ETA: if I recall correctly, the cost of 2 smart water or Evernew containers was more than the Sawyer filter plus 3 bags. That is why I went with the Sawyer.

HooKooDooKu
08-21-2018, 15:13
Sawyer Squeeze with 3 Bags ~$40

2L Evernew Water Carry ~$13
1L SmartWater ~$2
Sawyer Squeeze with no Bags ~$25 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze/dp/B0797KBCFL)
Sawyer Mini ~$20

For a total cost of $37, you could have a Sawyer Mini with a 2L dirty water bladder and 2-1L SmartWater clean water bottles (4L total capacity).
Bump the cost to $42 if you want the higher flow of the Sawyer Squeeze over the Sawyer Mini.

DownYonder
08-21-2018, 16:05
Sawyer Squeeze with 3 Bags ~$40

2L Evernew Water Carry ~$13
1L SmartWater ~$2
Sawyer Squeeze with no Bags ~$25 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze/dp/B0797KBCFL)
Sawyer Mini ~$20

For a total cost of $37, you could have a Sawyer Mini with a 2L dirty water bladder and 2-1L SmartWater clean water bottles (4L total capacity).
Bump the cost to $42 if you want the higher flow of the Sawyer Squeeze over the Sawyer Mini.

Sorry, I linked the wrong Sawyer. I have the mini and paid under $25 for the filter plus 3 bags during a 4th of July sale. Again, I had no problem with the actual Etekcity filter. I'm certain it would work fine with other bags.

HooKooDooKu
08-21-2018, 16:39
I don't think I've ever seen a Sawyer Mini with 3 bags.
Do you mean you purchased a Mini and then purchased Sawyer Bags separately?
Based on what is available at Amazon, I see you can purchase a set of 3-32oz bags for ~$9, or 2-64oz bags for ~$10.

And for those that like the Squeeze, Walmart's price on the Squeeze with 2-32oz bags with inline filter connections is only ~$30.

DownYonder
08-21-2018, 16:41
I don't think I've ever seen a Sawyer Mini with 3 bags.
Do you mean you purchased a Mini and then purchased Sawyer Bags separately?
Based on what is available at Amazon, I see you can purchase a set of 3-32oz bags for ~$9, or 2-64oz bags for ~$10.

And for those that like the Squeeze, Walmart's price on the Squeeze with 2-32oz bags with inline filter connections is only ~$30.

That was 45 days ago and my old man brain can't remember but you are probably correct.....purchased separately.

Analog_Kidd
08-21-2018, 18:18
This one looks comparable to the Sawyer Mini. For about $4 more you can get the mini with an included bag. For me that is cheap peace of mind knowing I got a reliable name brand, and guaranteed compatibility with containers.