PDA

View Full Version : SNP Parking

smithjv
08-21-2018, 12:21
Forgive me if this is better placed in another more specific forum. But it seemed to overlap more than one.

Hiking buddy and I like to park our vehicle midpoint in our section hikes for food p/u and cutting it short if need be.
So we shuttle from it to start point and back to it from end point. The approximate mid point is around MM935 which is in the SNP.

Does anyone have a feel for long term (+/- one week) parking in the park? Is it allowed?

(And if not allowed, why call it a park??????)

Crushed Grapes
08-21-2018, 12:44
I've had friends leave their vehicle in the park for around a week with no issues, but they also attained the backcountry permit from one of the handful of ranger stations (the form asks for your vehicle info, expected time in the park, etc.)

I've left my vehicle overnight at trailheads many times, but never for an extended period of time. I've heard of instances of receiving tickets for not having the permit, but perhaps someone else could speak to that.

I'd highly advise leaving a vehicle at an overlook, instead many of the trailheads have small parking lots.

LittleRock
08-21-2018, 14:39
MM 935 would put you right around the parking area for Little Stony Man. It's nestled right between Skyline Drive and the AT. Never parked there myself, but I walked right by it on my last section hike. Should be plenty of space for your vehicle there and I doubt anyone will mess with it given that it's visible from the road.

Kaptainkriz
08-21-2018, 17:40
Plenty of parking at many places along the trail. check in with the Ranger at the park entrance and fill out a back country camping permit. They may limit you to 14 days based on the max camping limit of 14 consecutive days in the rules here:https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

bbikebbs
08-21-2018, 23:10
When I filled out my back country permit, the ranger told me that they put your car info into a database. That way when a ranger does check the parking areas (I was told daily), they can access the info and see what the itineraries are. If a car is beyond the return date, they can then start the searches.

Huntmog
08-21-2018, 23:16
We have staged cars in SNP for a couple days without problems. Almost every time, we see the same cars still there when we leave as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Berserker
08-23-2018, 15:45
As others have stated there are tons of places to park on Skyline drive, and it's pretty safe as you have to go through the guard shack and pay to drive around on Skyline Drive there since it's part of Shenandoah NP. So locals aren't likely to be up there breaking into cars and things of that nature.

A couple of miles past 935 is the Pinnacles Parking area, which is a huge parking lot that the AT goes through. I have parked there before. Really just about anywhere you want to park will work though as Skyline Drive parallels the AT, and is right next to the AT for most of SNP. You do need the Trails Illustrated map to really see the whole picture though as it shows the AT, Skyline Drive and all the pullouts and parking areas on Skyline Drive. So if you don't want to get that detailed I'd recommend the Pinnacles parking area.

rmitchell
08-23-2018, 19:51
You might consider the parking lots at MM937, Panorama. There is a very nice restroom at the former location of the Panorama Restaurant. One parking lot is accessed from Skyline Drive and the other is accessed from US 211, the road to Luray, Va. The parking lots are back to back but you cannot drive from one to the other. The advantage of using the one with US 211 access is that you can avoid having to pay for vehicle admission to the SNP if it is not needed. If you plan to drive on the Skyline Drive that may be a moot point.

Kaptainkriz
08-24-2018, 17:15
These are both outstanding lots. Also, not far from a shelter and a couple nice restaurants down the east side of 211.

You might consider the parking lots at MM937, Panorama. There is a very nice restroom at the former location of the Panorama Restaurant. One parking lot is accessed from Skyline Drive and the other is accessed from US 211, the road to Luray, Va. The parking lots are back to back but you cannot drive from one to the other. The advantage of using the one with US 211 access is that you can avoid having to pay for vehicle admission to the SNP if it is not needed. If you plan to drive on the Skyline Drive that may be a moot point.