PDA

View Full Version : Hiker killed on AT by falling branch in VA

THEDON
08-23-2018, 14:27
Not a lot of details yet, but tragic... Hiked that area many times.

http://www.winchesterstar.com/news/hiker-killed-on-appalachian-trail-by-falling-tree-branch-identified/article_b4a2a646-8bae-5282-a62b-336a3a9df49d.html

TMathers
08-23-2018, 14:39
That is so unfortunate.
My condolences to the family and friends.

BlackCloud
08-23-2018, 16:23
Speaking for myself, When 72, I think I would welcome such a quick demise; while hiking no less.

importman77
08-23-2018, 18:21
Speaking for myself, When 72, I think I would welcome such a quick demise; while hiking no less.
When I was your age I probably would have said the same thing. But you'll find that as you approach that age you really don't feel the same way anymore. I'm 59 and I can't say that I feel that way.

kestral
08-25-2018, 19:25

I tell my kids, who are a couple of worrywarts “if anything happens to me while I am out in the woods, it’s ok, I am where I want to be, and always, I love you”. I don’t Want to be hit by a tree limb, drown in a flash flood, be hit by lightning... fill in your next fear... , but I understand the safest place for me is at home watching tv. Caution yes, prudence yes, but I accept risk to live a full life.

My heart and condolences to the family and friends of this tragity

somers515
08-25-2018, 21:44
. . . but I understand the safest place for me is at home watching tv. Caution yes, prudence yes, but I accept risk to live a full life.

Actually hiking/backpacking provides exercise and therefore, despite the risks, is probably safer then just sitting home and watching tv.
I also share my condolences to the family.

MuddyWaters
08-25-2018, 21:47
Shame, but trees do fall.
And yes it beats a lingering illness any day.

We don't get to choose how we go
but we do get to choose how we live.

Tipi Walter
08-25-2018, 21:47
Actually hiking/backpacking provides exercise and therefore, despite the risks, is probably safer then just sitting home and watching tv.
I also share my condolences to the family.

Agree. In fact there's some consensus that excessively sitting on a couch reduces a lifespan remarkably.

jefals
08-25-2018, 22:41
Shame, but trees do fall.
And yes it beats a lingering illness any day.

We don't get to choose how we go
but we do get to choose how we live.
I don't know; there's something to be said for a lingering illness. For example, when you see that branch snap and watch it as it approaches contact with your head, you're last thought might be, "Crap! Why didn't i give that punch bowl to Sylvia"? At least, with a lingering illness, if you don't have your affairs in order, you have a chance to do that.
Another thought; If you're fit enough to be out hiking, then you're likely relatively healthy. Why would age be a factor in welcoming death?

MuddyWaters
08-25-2018, 23:18
Lingering illnesses are horrible
Both for the patient and the family

Perhaps until you watched your parents die slowly and painfully of cancer or such you won't understand. Being there with them giving them doses of morphine while they scream out in pain. holding their hand while their body shuts down slowly over a couple of days. Horrible stuff.

Everyone has the choice to live everyday like it's their last.

saltysack
08-25-2018, 23:36
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Trek
08-26-2018, 00:29
I agree with Muddy,I watched my mother die from dementia. I will take a tree fall any day over that.

jefals
08-26-2018, 11:52
I agree with Muddy,I watched my mother die from dementia. I will take a tree fall any day over that.

I think the post that got us here just said they thought they'd like for a tree to fall on them when they were 72. Didn't mention dementia or disease of any kind. Just age.
As for living with some malady or incapacitation - I personally can't say without actually experiencing it. Quick end or hang on -- I'm not sure. I know how I feel watching other folks suffer. But I don't know how THEY feel. Do they want to pull the plug? A 90 year old millionaire might give his fortune for one more good day. Another might give his fortune for a quick end.

One thing I can say, tho...
I'm not 72 - but I am 71. Close enough. I just got back from a TRT section. I am definitely glad a tree didn't fall on me!

Five Tango
08-26-2018, 13:03
My condolences to the family.Nobody in my family has ever suffered an accidental death;surely its devastating to the survivors.As for how long to live?As long as I can hike an occasional overnighter,cut my own grass,and live at home feels right but that number is yet to be determined.

Feral Bill
08-26-2018, 13:33
Speaking for myself, When 72, I think I would welcome such a quick demise; while hiking no less. 72 is not old, not even close.

martinb
08-26-2018, 13:51
My family and friends know that if I were to meet my end in the wilderness, I would go out doing what I loved. I hope that would bring them solace.

RockDoc
08-26-2018, 14:50
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Please don't say "he was doing what he loved".
No, he died a violent horrific death perhaps in incredible pain.
No, if he knew that would happen he would have stayed home.

4shot
08-26-2018, 20:04
Sorry to hear about the accident.
Please don't say "he was doing what he loved".
No, he died a violent horrific death perhaps in incredible pain.
No, if he knew that would happen he would have stayed home.

When we choose to do this, we accept the risks and rewards. Same as when we get on the interstate or go kayaking or mountain biking or eat out in a restaurant. Not sure why the angst in your post. Of course he would not have gone if he knew what was going to happen. No different than the guy who would have stayed home from work if he knew he was going to have a fatal car crash.

When I first read this thread, I thought back to a similar near miss situation I had in Pa. After a violent storm, I sat down on a log to take off my rain pants. A large limb (12 - 15") crashed down a few feet from where I was sitting. Had it fallen on me, I don't doubt it would have been lethal. I kept hiking anyways and that has been years ago. As safe and sterile as we want our world to be, it isn't.

Prayers to this fellow's family.

Deadeye
08-27-2018, 07:59

I might feel that way at 82, but at 72 I hope to have 10 years to go.

Deadeye
08-27-2018, 07:59
maybe 20!.....