PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Gloves?

DownYonder
08-23-2018, 21:40
Looking for a quality pair of lightweight waterproof gloves for in the woods this fall. I have a few pair of heavy skiing gloves but want something lighter/thinner. Recommendations?

Heliotrope
08-23-2018, 21:56
Looking for a quality pair of lightweight waterproof gloves for in the woods this fall. I have a few pair of heavy skiing gloves but want something lighter/thinner. Recommendations?

Have you considered a pair of liner gloves with a pair of waterproof overmitts?. I have a pair of OR overmitts that I use when it’s cold and raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownYonder
08-23-2018, 21:58
Have you considered a pair of liner gloves with a pair of waterproof overmitts?. I have a pair of OR overmitts that I use when it’s cold and raining.

Good idea. I'm open to anything.

muzzo909
08-23-2018, 22:15
Outdoor Research PL 150 or 400 gloves with ZPacks Vertice waterproof mitten shells is a good combo.

Tipi Walter
08-24-2018, 00:13
It's sort of hard to achieve a waterproof glove---much like trying to find a waterproof boot. The main problem is having water run down your arms or rain jacket and into the top cuffs of the gloves.

One sort-of solution is to get a pair of mentioned mitt shells and use these to cover something light like fleece etc. Mine are MLD eVent mitt shells and really work . . . for a while.

Here are the eVent shells in action---just stuff the cuffs into the jacket sleeves.

Prepping my shell mitts for a winter trip.

In really cold weather with rain these Mt Hardwear Nilas down mittens are great and are actually waterproof . . . for a while. My buddy Patman showed me his pair and I ended up getting a pair.

swisscross
08-24-2018, 07:14
Cold hands here.
I use a combo of thin wool liners, OR PL400 mitts and MLD eVent shells. The MLD shells are good alone into the 30's while moving.

moldy
08-24-2018, 08:43
No such thing exists for hikers. Hiking causes hot hands and you will be wet on the inside if you have gloves that are water proof. If it's very cold and windy the ski gloves are a good idea. If it's warm but wet then either no gloves or light fabric gloves if it's windy. The wet fabric gloves will keep your hands from freezing as long as it's not super cold. Leather will soak through. If some company had invented what you are looking for us hikers would be all over it. I see thru hikers every year with socks on their hands. Good luck

rmitchell
08-24-2018, 08:54
Neoprene??

Tipi Walter
08-24-2018, 09:11
No such thing exists for hikers. Hiking causes hot hands and you will be wet on the inside if you have gloves that are water proof. If it's very cold and windy the ski gloves are a good idea. If it's warm but wet then either no gloves or light fabric gloves if it's windy. The wet fabric gloves will keep your hands from freezing as long as it's not super cold. Leather will soak through. If some company had invented what you are looking for us hikers would be all over it. I see thru hikers every year with socks on their hands. Good luck

Have you tried the eVent type shells like MLD? They work pretty well at keeping the hands warm and dry and still dissipate sweat. They are part of my standard load so I can hike in 35F rainstorms and still keep my hands from becoming blocks of wood. And they weigh almost nothing.

And when I have to pack up a wet tent covered in sleet and not use my bare hands these mitt shells work great at keeping my fleece gloves from getting saturated in the first 5 minutes of tent take-down.

MtDoraDave
08-24-2018, 13:58
Neoprene??

I have a pair of neoprene scuba diving gloves, but haven't been on a cold weather hike since I got them.
I bought them because a retired RR worker told me that's the best thing she found to wear in the winter to keep her hands warm and still allow her to work (use her hands).

There is the possible problem of sweat freezing inside them when they come off.

Starchild
08-24-2018, 20:53
You can wear vinyl (disposable) painter's gloves (like latex but looser fitting), and wear them under another pair of gloves. They will add quite a bit of warmth, however your sweat will make them damp or even wet, and your hands may start stinking.

DownYonder
08-24-2018, 21:04
I have a couple pair of lightweight running and cycling gloves. They are wicking and should work great under a pair of over mitts. Might go with the MLD eVent. Not a fan of OR gloves. Thanks for the suggestions!

Miner
08-24-2018, 21:30
I second the MLD rain mitts with the use of a glove liner when it's too cold for them alone which for me is down into the 20's. Yes, while hiking (even in colder weather), they might be damp from sweet, but they are still drier than if exposed to the rain and at least they aren't cold. I switched to them from fleece wind stopper gloves after said gloves got wet when it was snowing with 20-40mph winds. Having wet gloves in those winds did not do my fingers much good.

Malto
08-25-2018, 21:23
1.6 cents each. Been using them now for years. Sometime simple is better.

https://www.amazon.com/1000-PACK-Disposable-Plastic-Gloves-Flexible/dp/B00F73FM0S

Tipi Walter
08-25-2018, 21:45
1.6 cents each. Been using them now for years. Sometime simple is better.

https://www.amazon.com/1000-PACK-Disposable-Plastic-Gloves-Flexible/dp/B00F73FM0S

Will these things fit over a pair of fleece gloves? (And certainly not over a pair of down mittens). And of course they don't breathe and my hands sweat alot.

Malto
08-26-2018, 08:58
Will these things fit over a pair of fleece gloves? (And certainly not over a pair of down mittens). And of course they don't breathe and my hands sweat alot.
They will fit over lighter weight gloves. They can also be used as the second layer in a four layer deep cold setup. Liner, waterproof mitts, insulating gloves, overmitten. The mitt provides a VBL.

Ashepabst
08-30-2018, 11:33
Sealskinz makes "waterproof" gloves. I got a pair a few years back but never got the chance to field test. since then I've always opted for my wool hobo gloves as their more versatile.

Ashepabst
08-30-2018, 11:34
Sealskinz makes "waterproof" gloves. I got a pair a few years back but never got the chance to field test. since then I've always opted for my wool hobo gloves as their more versatile.

ahem... 'they're'

cmoulder
08-30-2018, 14:44
MLD mitts with nothing, or with polyester liners, or with increasingly thick fleece liners as the temps drop. I got 'em XL so I can keep stacking as necessary.

MuddyWaters
08-31-2018, 09:56
liners
With WR/breathable overmitts
Is about most versatile in moderately cool conditions

The possumdown liners are fragile, but actually really warm.

When it gets below 25 or so, blackrock down mitts are the ticket for camp

Crushed Grapes
08-31-2018, 12:31
Neoprene??
Exactly. Seems like some 3mm gloves would work great (they worked great when I was still cold-water surfing :))

Harrison Bergeron
08-31-2018, 12:38
MLD eVent gloves are great because they weigh less than the stuff sack that came with my poncho, and yet they're big enough to hold the rest of my rain gear -- a pair of DriDucks pants.