PDA

View Full Version : Best 40-50 mile section?

outsider12
08-25-2018, 11:47
I teach during the school year so next summer I plan to get away for a week to hike on the AT. It's been a goal of mine for a while just to get out there.

What 40-50 mile section would you recommend to hike if that's all the time I have?

Live in MN now but I've got plenty of hiking experience in AK so difficulty level shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Two Tents
08-25-2018, 12:18
I teach during the school year so next summer I plan to get away for a week to hike on the AT. It's been a goal of mine for a while just to get out there.

What 40-50 mile section would you recommend to hike if that's all the time I have?

Live in MN now but I've got plenty of hiking experience in AK so difficulty level shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Probably the shortest driving distance if you are driving to the trail would be anywhere in Pa or Harpers Ferry North is nice. Shuttles are plentiful in these sections

DownYonder
08-25-2018, 12:49
The Best? >> Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

johnnybgood
08-25-2018, 14:55
Indian Grave Gap north to 19E., TN.
Tough but rewarding 40 mile stretch, includes long pulls up Unaka Mtn and Roan Mtn. switchbacks.
Get shuttled by Mountain Harbor Hostel to the trailhead.

DownYonder
08-25-2018, 15:55
Indian Grave Gap north to 19E., TN.
Tough but rewarding 40 mile stretch, includes long pulls up Unaka Mtn and Roan Mtn. switchbacks.
Get shuttled by Mountain Harbor Hostel to the trailhead.

Did an over night trip from Carvers to 19E last week. Stunning views from the bolds!! The trails are not in the best shape nor are they well marked but well worth the trip!!

In the same area....I40/Standing Indian to Hot Springs which includes Max Patch. I think that is around 35 miles and the trails are in much better condition.

Slo-go'en
08-25-2018, 16:49
The best? The Mahoosucs in Maine. Of course, it's also the most difficult 30 miles of the AT, But it's got it all. Alpine ponds, sweeping vistas, challenging climbs, interesting plants and mosses. Hiking through there is how I picture middle Earth to be like.

Astro
08-25-2018, 17:14
The Whites in NH. Difficult but great views on a clear day. NH and ME most difficult, but reward you with the best views.
Another option is VT ending at the Inn at Long Trail for a great rewarding ending.

But if you get summers off every year, perhaps you should start at Springer in GA and go as far as you can in 2019, and then pick up from there in 2020, and repeat until you make it to Kathadin. :)

outsider12
08-25-2018, 17:26
The Whites in NH. Difficult but great views on a clear day. NH and ME most difficult, but reward you with the best views.
Another option is VT ending at the Inn at Long Trail for a great rewarding ending.

But if you get summers off every year, perhaps you should start at Springer in GA and go as far as you can in 2019, and then pick up from there in 2020, and repeat until you make it to Kathadin. :)I like that idea. May take me a while, but you're right, it'd be a great opportunity.