PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Lone Peak 4.0 yet?

jgerke
08-29-2018, 15:22
I really like my Lone Peak 3.5's but the outsole is subpar. The 4.0 is suppose to have an improved outsole that lasts longer and has better traction. Just curious if anyone on here has used the 4.0 yet and if you noticed any improvements in the outsole durability or traction. I really wish Altra would go to Vibram outsoles on the Lone Peaks, makes so much sense. The Olympus vibram outsole has much better traction and durability but I don't need that much cushion. Maybe I should look into the King Mt.

tflaris
08-29-2018, 15:28
Greetings
I haven’t got them on Trail yet but the soles do seem stickier.

The cushioning seems to be about the same.

The toe box doesn’t seem to have as much room but only slightly.

And the width appears to be the same.

The length in comparison to the 3.0’s seem slightly longer. But only slightly.

I ordered the same size as my 3.0’s.

I stockpiled quite a few 3.0’s because the 3.5’s were to narrow for my wide foot.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
08-29-2018, 16:07
I can't speak from personal experience, but, my son just donned a pair in Ashland, Oregon after having hiked 700 miles of the PCT in his Lone-Peak 3.5's, replaced in Kennedy Meadows with some Timps, which blew out the side in the Sierras. He is now 300 miles into his Lone-Peak 4's and didn't have much to say about them other than they are working well and he's liking them just fine, kinda like his 3.5's, which he loved for the first 500 miles or so.

I want to try the 4's since I want slightly more padding than the 3.5's (no where near as much as the Olympics), and although my Timps aren't blowing out the side, the lacing bothers the top of my overly sensitive feet in a way my 3.5's didn't.

Durwood
08-29-2018, 16:11
I haven't tried the LP 4.0 yet but can offer feedback on the King MT. Bought a new pair w/o sampling for the rocks in PA. I ordered same size 12 that I wear in LPS and Olympus. When they arrived they were so long! The Vibram sole is very tough and the lugs are aggressive. The sole is very rigid and inflexible (great for bouldering, I thought). Unlike the LP or even the Olympus with Vibram, the Kings never conformed to my foot due to the plank sole. My feet were swimming in a shoe that felt like a snow ski.

Love me some Altra....but strongly advise evaluating each model in person. Well documented: they're all over the place in their design.

saltysack
08-29-2018, 22:12
Greetings
I haven’t got them on Trail yet but the soles do seem stickier.

The cushioning seems to be about the same.

The toe box doesn’t seem to have as much room but only slightly.

And the width appears to be the same.

The length in comparison to the 3.0’s seem slightly longer. But only slightly.

I ordered the same size as my 3.0’s.

I stockpiled quite a few 3.0’s because the 3.5’s were to narrow for my wide foot.

YMMV

Do the 4’s have more volume than the 3.5? After putting SF Green I had to switch to the carbon sf as the volume seem much smaller than 3 and I ended up switching to the timps. After TRT next month I should be ready for a new pair....probably stick w temps as they are very roomy.

Deacon
08-30-2018, 05:48
I really like my Lone Peak 3.5's but the outsole is subpar. The 4.0 is suppose to have an improved outsole that lasts longer and has better traction. Just curious if anyone on here has used the 4.0 yet and if you noticed any improvements in the outsole durability or traction. I really wish Altra would go to Vibram outsoles on the Lone Peaks, makes so much sense. The Olympus vibram outsole has much better traction and durability but I don't need that much cushion. Maybe I should look into the King Mt.

Have to disagree with you on going to vibram soles.

There is give and take with using vibram. The good is they last longer than the softer sole Altra uses. The bad with vibram is they are more slippery.

These are runners shoes where traction is critical.

I wore a pair of 3.5’s through New Hampshire and Maine last summer and thanks to the softer outsole, I never fell once on all that slippery rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jgerke
08-30-2018, 12:15
My Olympus 2.5's with the vibram outsole have better traction that any of the Lone Peak versions I've worn over the years. Mostly I hike on dirt/rock trails with quite a bit of steep loose stuff. Typical Rocky Mountain terrain. I don't encounter a lot of slippery rock so maybe the vibram is not as good in those conditions.