PDA

View Full Version : campsite near sams gap

misterfloyd
08-29-2018, 20:09
Hello to all,

I'm going from sams gap to big bald and was wondering if there are any campsites close by. We are going up late Friday nite and lollygag up to big bald and stay the night up there Sat. My son will be coming with.

I have the old awol guide from 2015 and there is not much outside of a couple miles in both directions. No problem but we are getting up there late........

Been through the area a long time ago, don't remember the area.

Any information is appreciated and very welcome.

Thanks
floyd

Slo-go'en
08-29-2018, 22:44
Doesn't look too promising with Google Earth. Starting at a gap means you start going up hill right away. The trail does sort of level off at the top of the ridge line, but finding a campsite along the side of the trail might be a problem. You would probably have to do the 1.7 to the site shown in AWOL.

misterfloyd
08-30-2018, 06:18
Thanks for looking. I looked at Google earth as well. May have to find a car camping place near there yuck. Either direction would not be a problem except we will be getting there late, late.

DownYonder
08-30-2018, 07:12
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/53551-Sam-s-Gap-(TN)-camping

Mr. Bumpy
08-30-2018, 09:24
If you head south from the gap there are several places within a mile. None are great but once you climb out of the gap and pass a granite marker there are a couple of grown over logging roads that will work in a pinch. It is mostly trailside camping and on a Saturday AM that is a popular spot to day hike from so there would be people walking or jogging by unless you started early.
Hogback Ridge Shelter is only about 1 hour from Sams Gap.

Tennessee Viking
08-30-2018, 09:50
The first good campsite is on the hilltop before Street Gap. Everything before that is hillside trail for the most part. There is a Comfort Inn in Mars Hill and a couple hotels in Erwin and Johnny's.

There is a new hostel/campground service just a few miles into TN from Sams Gap. Nature's Inn. Simple camping shacks. If you are coming in late, that might be the way to go.

Supposedly Mother Marians. Don't know about it much.

FrogLevel
08-30-2018, 10:34
The low gap shown on AWOL is a great little spot. There's a spring right there and plenty of wood around for a fire.

Gambit McCrae
08-30-2018, 10:40
MM 320.7 is a seasonal spring that has always been flowing when I have walked by, it is also noted on guthooks and I would agree that there is space for 1-2 tents there. it is right on the trail. I tis about 1 mile north of Sams gap

misterfloyd
08-30-2018, 19:11
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the good info. I have forgotten about the details of the area. It has been a long time. I just remember what a beautiful view it was up there.

I read in the link that someone drove up there to the top. That was my experience as well. I get to the top with a loaded pack and I say to myself... man this is so worth it. As soon as I said that to myself here comes this joker in a pick up truck cruising up the mountain. Now this truck was straining. It was leaning halfway over in the rut of a trail created from other trucks.

I got to admit, I was ticked. It was irony in action.

Thank you again!
Best
floyd