PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch

Redbeard
02-10-2003, 10:40
I got a Mystery ranch "The Works" Trance backpack. I like it, it's very minimalist, it's half the weight of my other pack, it fit's. Does anyone know anything about the company? All I know is this Dana guy left Dana design or something... Their web sight is as minimalist as the pack. I guess I just want something to bore people with in pointless gear conversations.:rolleyes:

stranger
02-14-2003, 04:21
After K2 bought out Dana Design a whole bunch of changes happened that they promised not to do...Like moving production from Bozeman to Mexico, they fired Dana Gleason's assistant, and basically wanted to change the line. In the end Dana was let outta his contract ONLY after signing a contract that stated he couldn't compete with Dana Design for 5 years!

However when he sold Dana Design in 97, he kept one factory in his name and never sold it. That was were he eventually started Mystery Ranch, again in Bozeman MT. When I met with him 3 years ago he described "the Works" as the next generation of Dana Design, but unfortunately nothing he is doing now is as efficient as his classic Arc'Flex packs. This guy's been building packs for 25 years and think that everything he has created for the most part is now owned by K2...he can't use any of his designs anymore!

But Mystery Ranch is pretty innovative in Pack terms, of course they won't be popular with the ultra-lighters, but they aren't catering to that...no real pack companies really do unfortunately.

I hope that helps paint of picture of what happened between Dana Gleason and K2!

Redbeard
02-14-2003, 10:02
Gotcha, The Works design is just fine with me, I've never used any of his other designs. I like the fact that I don't have to make a dozen adjustments. It's always nice to know a little history behind cool stuff.