PDA

View Full Version : Seeking hiking buddy

WhtMornStar
02-18-2006, 22:02
My only setback to hiking the AT is that I do not want to go alone. My family is completely against me going alone and i can understand their reasoning. I would like to start anywhere from mid-March to early April and hike at a fairly brisk pace. I cannot be on the trail past July so clearly my chances of completing the entire thing are not too high since I would have to hike about 20-25 miles a day to do so. I would at least like to get as far as possible but mainly I want to have the "AT" experience. I am a 23 yr-old college student currently making some career plan changes which has allotted me some ample free time. I'm a very laidback and affable person who I'm sure anyone would enjoy hiking with! ;)

BW2006
02-18-2006, 22:24
I'm heading out mid-March with Harley Hog Pit. You are welcome to join us but we are planning to start off slowly and then pick up the pace over the first few weeks. E-mail me if you are interested.

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 00:15
I am heading to Springer on the 22 of March, I have no intentions in starting and hiking with a certain person and no having the freedom of hiking my own hike. Me not making it to K will only be me to blame! Anyways I would be more than honored to hike with someone else for a while or so maybe longer.

Wolfpaw
02-19-2006, 02:30
wow such strong opinions about this i half way agree however Im flying in and staying at the hiker hostile for the night and will be hiking on march 16 you are welcome to walk near me for a while i guess. although i am not sure of my pace hi or lo. peace paw

Wolf - 23000
02-19-2006, 02:54
WhtMornStar,

I'm head out for a couple of weeks starting in Mid-March. I'll be averaging over 20 miles per/day. I'm game if you think you can keep up. It will be my sixth time doing the southern AT, so I know the trail very well. If your interested send me an email.

Wolf
AT 89-91, 90, 91-94, 94, 93-06
Ect.

bfitz
02-19-2006, 05:36
You won't really be alone once you hit the trail...and it's hard to keep pace with someone you arbitrarily team up with. Just hit the trail and you'll find you are camping around mostly the same people every night, and you'll start making friends. It's amazing how "teams" form up on the trail...

Cheesewhiz
02-19-2006, 07:53
You would be better off to hike alone, just promise your parents that you will never hitchhike alone. On the trail you are 99% safe and if something does happen just sit down and pre-occupy yourself because someone will be down the trail in just a few minutes to give you a hand.

MDSHiker
02-19-2006, 09:16
Yeah, what bfitz said...if you start that time of year you'll never really be "alone".

WhtMornStar
02-19-2006, 11:52
Thanks for all your replies, i definitely appreciate all of them!

Lanceglas
02-21-2006, 19:09
We begin early April, and are always looking to make friends and travel with interesting people. Don't know the mileage. With that said, I agree with others, you won't actually ever be alone, atleast not at first.
Good luck and see you on the trail!
Lance

corduroy
02-24-2006, 20:17
This is a bad year to be undertaking a solo thru-hike, reports of African Killer Bee's are up 185% from last year according to pollsters in South Central Eastern Tennessee (source: a report on Fox News.)
The locals of Killimet Province, located eight miles north of Roan Mtn. have notified the ABPO of at least seven sightings thus far.
If I were you I'd have at least 3 partners, and I'd hike with a gecko. Things could get "stingy."

freefall
02-24-2006, 20:41
This is a bad year to be undertaking a solo thru-hike, reports of African Killer Bee's are up 185% from last year according to pollsters in South Central Eastern Tennessee (source: a report on Fox News.)
The locals of Killimet Province, located eight miles north of Roan Mtn. have notified the ABPO of at least seven sightings thus far.
If I were you I'd have at least 3 partners, and I'd hike with a gecko. Things could get "stingy."

What the %#@@ are you talking about? There no killer bees in TN.

corduroy
02-24-2006, 20:53
This is eaxactly the kind of laissez'faire attitude that magnifies the apathy we westerners show to the epidemic of killer bee's. This sunday there will be a 6 hour special on FOX about AT Thru Hikers and killer-bee's. I suggest everyone tunes.

corduroy
02-24-2006, 21:01
This is a rough idea of what we're up against out there.

http://www.hidalgotexas.com/images/killerb.gif

dont say i didnt warn you, just ask Baltimore Jack, or Wingfoot.

freefall
02-24-2006, 21:08
.....troll

Ridge
02-24-2006, 21:22
For those of you new to thru-hiking, listen up, YOU DON'T NEED A PARTNER BEFORE YOUR HIKE. Hundreds of hikers stretched out across the 14 states for you to get acquainted with. The last problem I had was company.

Greywolf
09-21-2006, 23:09
I started to ask you about the AT experience you were looking for, but I guess that ipart of the experience is not knowing. If you start with the crowd and go from GA to ME, then you will not be alone. If you start in the north and hike from ME to GA, then it could get lonely. The GA to ME hike can get pretty crowded in the beginning-some avoid this by starting early, but pay the price hiking in inclement weather. Generally, most people don't really hike long distances together. They may meet up at the end of the day or from time to time, but partnering is a tough call (not impossible by any means, it just has challenges). So.....maybe it would be best to go from GA to ME and have fun with all the different hikers and people you meet, you won't be by yourself much. 20mi/day? Talk to other thru hikers really shed the load if you are going to try 20mi/day.

CABBAGE
09-29-2006, 12:32
I have a cabin @ the base of the A.T. in Tyro Va . Where the A T crosses the Tye River. You are welcome to hook up with my girlfriend and I . The extra vehicle would come in handy too.We are plan'n for 2007 thru hike. Hope to hear from you soon - good luck.